• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD FILE SIZE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi,

I have just completed a full reinstall W7PRO . Something is not quite right though my SSD is 128 GB SAMSUNG but its already 45GB USED ? I have searched the properties of all folders in the C drive and there is one folder which caught my eye.

WINSXS is 8.7GB ? I tried deleting this but I get a popup stating folder access denied.....Require permission from Trusted Installer to make changes to this folder ?

Are there any other quick tweaks I should look at here?

Sincerely,

Bernard

W7PRO
SSD 128 SAMSUNG
4GB DDR3
500W SUPP
X1650 ATI RAD
GIG G31-2SML
22'' ASUS

I hadn't looked for a while, so I checked my Win7 Ultimate VM installation (at least 2 years old), and winxsx is 14.8 Gbytes.

Removing it isn't really a good idea.

Windows directory on that install is about 31.8 Gbytes (without the Program Files or User's directory).

I'd say 45 Gbytes is about right.

The hibernation file is a good idea. You might also consider, if you have sufficient RAM and know your usage requirements, configuring the paging file to be zero. Windows actually runs a little faster without a paging file anyway, but the caveat is sufficient RAM compared to your usage pattern.

Beyond that, you can choose to relocate some directories, but that depends on your intent for the SSD. You can, for example, choose to install applications on other physical drives, move some content in users...not quick, but workable.

My Windows 8.1 Pro winxsx directory is 6.6gb, the entire Windows directory is only 17gb. Not sure what you did to your installation to make it 45gb, but that's extremely bloated.

My Windows 8.1 Pro winxsx directory is 6.6gb, the entire Windows directory is only 17gb. Not sure what you did to your installation to make it 45gb, but that's extremely bloated.

Your observation is really the comparison of Windows 8.1 to Windows 7.

Windows 7 is actually bloated compared to 8. Think of it...Windows 7 was never aimed at tablets or phones.

Also, Windows 7, after install, has a lot of updates which Windows 8.1 doesn't require.

That's another thing I didn't mention to OP.

There may be more restore points due to those updates than a Win 8.1 would have, and they occupy space.

Further, the install temporaries from the updates can be removed, freeing up room.

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 7 is actually bloated compared to 8. Think of it...Windows 7 was never aimed at tablets or phones.

Also, Windows 7, after install, has a lot of updates which Windows 8.1 doesn't require.

That's another thing I didn't mention to OP.

There may be more restore points due to those updates than a Win 8.1 would have, and they occupy space.

Further, the install temporaries from the updates can be removed, freeing up room.

Hi All,

Many thanks.....fair to say my files sizes are not off the scale by W7 standards then.

Berne

Even so, my work laptop's Windows directory is only 32gb, it's Windows 7. 45gb for a fresh install of 7 seems out of the ordinary. Perhaps some suggestions (page file, hibernation, restore points) can help OP trim his down, 45gb just doesn't seem right.

Even so, my work laptop's Windows directory is only 32gb, it's Windows 7. 45gb for a fresh install of 7 seems out of the ordinary. Perhaps some suggestions (page file, hibernation, restore points) can help OP trim his down, 45gb just doesn't seem right.
Agreed. That said, I have W7 64 Pro and its around 20GB. I know Ultimate is bigger, but I never thought by that much..

The Pagefile is usually 1.5 or 2x(?) your ram size and in most cases can be widdled down to 2GB. For the OP I would shrink it to 4GB to match your ram. If this is a new installation, the hibernation nor restore files should be more than a couple of GB at most. So I doubt that is it... but its worth a try to see what size they actually are.

45GB is way too big, for a brand new install, even for ultimate.

Hi ,

Anyone want to take a try to solve this? Just list 1-10 list of tweaks and I will reply . Currently 44GB used and 67 Free? I have downloaded after a full reinstall my 12GB online storage.....I wonder if it downloaded twice?

All good advice welcome.

Berne

This is just me personally...

...personally if I were that worrried about installation size and that is directly after the install and not after updating and installing any applications; I would likely delete the partition Win 7 installs onto and recreate it so any previous data is gone completely. Then I would create the partition and format it and then do an install. Now when Win 7 PRO 64 bit is installed it should be the least size it will be without doing something to make LITE the install itself. And I would make sure that I had slipstreamed SP1 into the Install ISO before installing Win 7 PRO (64bit). Now that is me if I were worried about installation size.

Otherwise here are a couple of links that I found looking for "installation size of Win 7 PRO".

Windows 7: Size of Windows 7 x64 Install... 35GBs?

Fresh install size for Win 7 Pro, and SSD capacity to get

As just an aside; I normally LITEen my Win 7 64 bit ultimate and install about 5 apps during the windows installation and with 16 Gigs of ram and 2Gig swap file and n0 hiberfile...my initial isntall is about 16GB. However I personally do all my downsizing before the install by removing clutter from the ISO previous to installing. Again that is me since I just don't care to have windows clutter when I know some things I will never use.

RGone...

I hadn't looked for a while, so I checked my Win7 Ultimate VM installation (at least 2 years old), and winxsx is 14.8 Gbytes.

Removing it isn't really a good idea.

Windows directory on that install is about 31.8 Gbytes (without the Program Files or User's directory).

I'd say 45 Gbytes is about right.

The hibernation file is a good idea. You might also consider, if you have sufficient RAM and know your usage requirements, configuring the paging file to be zero. Windows actually runs a little faster without a paging file anyway, but the caveat is sufficient RAM compared to your usage pattern.

Beyond that, you can choose to relocate some directories, but that depends on your intent for the SSD. You can, for example, choose to install applications on other physical drives, move some content in users...not quick, but workable.

It is a very bad idea to reduce your paging file to zero. Some applications require it to be a certain size, regardless of installed memory, and not allowing the OS to utilize it generally causes instability.

As far as tips go, here is the guide I used for Windows 7. It worked great for me, and after I did these tweaks, my Windows 7 booted in under 20 seconds (from the power button to usable desktop), and only took up ~18gigs of space.

Back