• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD tips specific to Windows 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveHCYJ

I have totally wrecked my Windows 7 install. Its a long story involving a faulty graphics card, a space heater jammed in the side of my computer, and stability testing which resulted in way too many blue screens.

Given the oportunity to start from a fresh slate why not give Windows 8 a whirl and finally upgrade to an SSD since prices have plummeted over the last year and a half since my last build.

I'm perfectly competent at scouring this site/the internet for tips on installing Windows 7 on an SSD, but I was wondering if anyone has run into any tips/tricks/differences/advice specifically for Windows 8.

I don't imagine it to be much different really. Not much Changed that would affect installations.

What's that one setting in the BIOS?

Change IDE to AHCI ?

something like that - do it first, before the install.
It crashes or BSOD if you do it after.

You can do a quick registry change after the fact if you forget, but yep, thats a W7 and presumably W8 thing too. :)

Be sure to make a drive image of the OS partition after you set everything like you want it to be, that way you can reimage back when things were to your liking.

Win7/8/Vista should be the same, only if using Windows XP, remember to partition/format under Windows 7/8/Vista and not Windows XP.

Back