• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD with RAID0 boot drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Hey guys, long time no see. Been crazy busy with school/work.

So, my SSD died, and I just got the replacement in the mail today. Instead of setting it back up as a main drive, I was just going to install games to it. My only problem is getting the speed from the drive that AHCI mode provides, while keeping the RAID0 partition on my 2x250GB HDDs.

Do any of you guys know how to do this? Specs are in the sig.

Thanks!
ATMINSIDE

RAID mode is AHCI + ability to create RAID arrays, so you're good :thup:

Assuming there's not a difference in Intel vs AMD RAID mode for the SATA controllers.

RAID mode is AHCI + ability to create RAID arrays, so you're good :thup:

Assuming there's not a difference in Intel vs AMD RAID mode for the SATA controllers.

So, it should be plug and play? I'll have to throw it in tomorrow and test that out. I just remember when I first got the SSD, it kept picking it up as IDE mode, and I thought it was some residual setting from my RAID array. Maybe it was just the mobo reset.

The options for my mobo are RAID, AHCI or IDE. So, that's why it confuses me.

Yeah, it should be that easy switching between RAID and AHCI. RAID and AHCI should be the same in every way except array creation. Switching between IDE and RAID/AHCI is where the booting trouble starts.

I actually changed from AHCI to RAID last night without issue.

Yeah, it should be that easy switching between RAID and AHCI. RAID and AHCI should be the same in every way except array creation. Switching between IDE and RAID/AHCI is where the booting trouble starts.

I actually changed from AHCI to RAID last night without issue.

I must've had issues because I accidentally let the drive pass the BIOS in IDE one time or something. Eventually got it working full speed ahead though.

Thanks Matt!

Back