• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stabilizing Win98se maybe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good to hear you're happy with 98lite :) I've heard nothing but good reviews of it, and hope it does well for you.

IZON said:
Fast? You wanna see fast? Stick Windows 3.xx on a 2gig rig and you'll see fast.
If you're going to put Win3.xx on a rig, why bother even loading it? You've got a whole other resource unintensive OS waiting at your fingertips...

MS-DOS 6.0 BABY!!! (the king of all MS-DOS versions!) :D

JigPu

I have MS-DOS6.22/wfw3.11 on a PII 333 and it flies faster than anything else but it's hard to find driver support for anything much newer.

Linux. Now's your chance to try it - you have an open HDD, and you want something light and stable ... DSL (Damn Small Linux) is an excellent example. It's 50MB and it's very usable! Even better, it boots and runs off of the CD and your RAM so you can try it out. I'm not saything this to push a penguin *** in your face, I'm being practical. If you don't like 2k and xp, and want a zippy OS, linux would be your true answer (you just have to get to know it before you get to do stuff :))

Agreed. I've been pushing people I know to try Fedora Core Linux for the past few months. It's not going to be nearly as small and fast as DSL or Knoppix, seeing as it takes up 4 installation CDs now. But it's a very easy step to take from Windows to Fedora.

Fedora Core is probably the easiest transition Linux distro IMO. Setup is cake, and it flows like Windows. Also, there are 4 cd's, but even on the development install (I think that's the name), it only uses the first 2 cd's. I've never used cd 3 or 4. And besides, if you know Unix-based systems not only can you brag about it but you're worth more salary-wise ;] Also, it's free, so what do you have to lose besides HD space?

Back