• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam Punk Mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenJelly

I am interested in this art movement. The idea's and art created from it is rather cool. So I started to think about making a steam punk OC, Well I have not only been beated too it, there are A TON of them some of these are simply amazing.

www.google.cm/search?q=steampunk+pc&hl=en&nord=1&biw=1680bih=964&site=webhp&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=c5zzTbfpA4begQfV65XRCw&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQsAQ

I would like to know what one you like and why you like it. I cant believe how many are out there! I must say the visual appearance of these some of these machine's are amazing. Seems to be a bit Gothic, Dark, yet fascinating.

Have to agree with thequadfather tbh, dont have any reason for new shiny things to look like they were something made by a mad scientist during the victorian era

I would have allot of fun building one of these, though they are beyond My level of skill and patience. They are unique and some of them are quite fun. I cant claim to ever want to dress up as anything. Regardless if it is Startrek, Starwars, or Steampunk... but I can appreciate the fun factor for those that prefer this. I would love to see some peoples favorites. I saw one a TV show, it was really nice!

I always wanted to at least do one of the keyboard mods, I had one of those old typewriters with the round keys a couple decades ago but think that might be hard to find these days.

EDIT: I bet somebody makes those keys somewhere now though seeing the awesome custom ones in that Google search. Not exactly my style but awesome never the less.

I mean, dang, something like this is timeless! (this incorporates modern cnc machined parts that look amazing and quite up-to-date but timeless in the same)
steampunk-2dkeyboard-2dand-2dmonitor-2d1.jpg

would have to say this is the wildest I have ever seen! (this is just amazing!)
1272922219_steampunk-pc-03.jpg

Last edited:
While I really enjoy the subculture in general (especially certain webcomics) and greatly appreciate the phenomenal creativity of those who do steampunk case mods, anything that compromises usability is not in the cards for me, so I'll not be attaching any clockwork gears to my tablet anytime soon...

Yeah, there are some purdy ones out there.
I think it goes without saying that as long as form does not interfere with
function, mod away!

I found this mod looking for wooden case ideas.
I'm looking to build a new rig for this fall, so my son and I are going to put
one together similar to this one. It looks simple and fun, and I have a ton
of scrap wood, and metal junk in the garage. time to put it to use.

Not my bag either. Those are some fugly PC's.

That said, I respect the amount of work and creativity that went in to making them.

I always wanted to at least do one of the keyboard mods, I had one of those old typewriters with the round keys a couple decades ago but think that might be hard to find these days.

EDIT: I bet somebody makes those keys somewhere now though seeing the awesome custom ones in that Google search. Not exactly my style but awesome never the less.

I mean, dang, something like this is timeless! (this incorporates modern cnc machined parts that look amazing and quite up-to-date but timeless in the same)
steampunk-2dkeyboard-2dand-2dmonitor-2d1.jpg

Mother of GOD that keyboard looks amazing! Are there more pics? Maybe even a work log? :popcorn:

Also I don't think usability is an issue here. I hold these in the same regard as I would a painting or any other art really, to be admired from afar.

If I owned one of these PCs I certainly wouldn't be checking my email on it.

Mother of GOD that keyboard looks amazing! Are there more pics? Maybe even a work log? :popcorn:

Also I don't think usability is an issue here. I hold these in the same regard as I would a painting or any other art really, to be admired from afar.

If I owned one of these PCs I certainly wouldn't be checking my email on it.

I see there are more pictures of it here, no luck finding a build log yet though.

http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/aviator/aviator.htm

I honestly like the whole idea of making things look different and the commitment to that shown with this subculture!

To be honest I would not do any of these mods! I am not just gonna jump on this thread to point out what I don't like about it though.

With my previous work experience with CNC machines and such I get the idea of how modern and beautiful it would be to do a solid billet aluminum desktop! Wish I could show pics of what I am thinking but nobody has done it yet! ;)
(would match my Lian Li case too!)

I honestly like the whole idea of making things look different and the commitment to that shown with this subculture!

To be honest I would not do any of these mods! I am not just gonna jump on this thread to point out what I don't like about it though.

With my previous work experience with CNC machines and such I get the idea of how modern and beautiful it would be to do a solid billet aluminum desktop! Wish I could show pics of what I am thinking but nobody has done it yet! ;)

Your idea could WOW us all! Just think how proud you would be to do it first! wink wink! :)

Your idea could WOW us all! Just think how proud you would be to do it first! wink wink! :)

I have the resources too! Just around the corner from my house, the only thing would be the cost to pretty much reverse engineer something and turn it into shiny billet.

If I was to do that I might need a group of interested people to make it worth the initial investment. Might not be hard to find though!

I have the resources too! Just around the corner from my house, the only thing would be the cost to pretty much reverse engineer something and turn it into shiny billet.

If I was to do that I might need a group of interested people to make it worth the initial investment. Might not be hard to find though!

Well I'm certainly interested! Shame I'm stuck in the UK :( Would love to see your idea come alive though!

Well I'm certainly interested! Shame I'm stuck in the UK :( Would love to see your idea come alive though!

I have an Open Source mentality though. To start something like that I would first find a reliable base to work with, say "the most durable keyboard ever" (ea. a IBM model "M" for example) and set that up on a CMM machine to blueprint the dimensions. After that I could post blueprints for someone like you to take to a machinist to reproduce.

Something like that I would probably allow people to use, veiw, ect., but restrict redistribution to links to my personal website though...

I do see a market here and there with that though, but with a few things I am working on there are legal issues I would also need to address. :facepalm:

I see what your saying. As much as I like the idea I think it would be limited to a very small market.

I'm just one for liking the days of the Commodore :) Hell if I had my way we would all be using Amiga's ;)

I don't know about the culture, but I think some of the computers look really neat.

But then I'm someone who has an appreciation for old things, steam locomotives for instance I find interesting, and old cars.

If I were to build one myself though, the gauges and knobs wouldn't just be for show, I would make them fully functional pieces.

I think it'd be cool to do a water cooling setup with a steampunk case, maybe not using brass tubing, but perhaps rubber, and have it routed outside the case and then back in again. Or perhaps mount a radiator on the outside of the case and have it electroplated with copper or brass, heck maybe route the tubing outside and back in again and also have a rad mounted on the outside of the case. Eh, it's an idea at least.

Unfortunately I don't have the funds or expertise to undertake such a build though.

That keyboard is amazing. Sure I don't think I would want to work with it... But if I was single I could really use that to get laid; it really is that amazing...

We rarely find such amazing mods as that. Usually the mods we all work on are like adding bumper stickers and black lights to a honda civic....

I would accept other forms of modding, if they are tasteful... The case of the month in the old Maximum PC mag was great. I remember the Bender (From Futurama) case

I really like industrial designs, but I think the wood + brass turn me off from steam punk. If they used different materials, then I would like the mods a lot better. However, these are amazing mods any way you look at them, you don't have to like the style to realize that.

Back