• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Step-by-step guide to setting up SSD caching on Z68 and Z77

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First of all Thank you to all that have replied, I am feeling better with this information. If I understand completely what you are saying. I dont need to reinstall windows, I do however, need to make those changes in the registry and I should be OK.

I do have one other question. What drivers do I need to download, Windows 7 drivers for RAID configuration or the Mother boards Drivers for RAID?

THank you again...

@Eldonko - Thanks for this thread - excellent info.

One suggestion: in the OP, you indicate that the cache SSD should be 64GB or less. You might want to mention that it can be larger, but anything over 64GB will be allocated to a separate partition.

I would love to see some data on a curve of performance vs. size. I assume that the 64GB cut off is due to diminishing returns (though it could be due to data size constraints). I wonder - is 32GB 90% as effective as 64GB? Or only say 60%?

Again, thanks!

1) Do not connect the caching SSD yet. First apply the following registry tweak:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Iastorv
In the details pane, right-click "Start", and then click modify.
In the Value data box, type 0

This registry change enables the RAID driver in Windows.
2) Next install the raid driver.
3) Connect your caching SSD
4) Set up caching with RST util.

Any questions just ask. :thumb:

Eldonko, I joined this site specifically to say THANK YOU!! I was tearing my hair out trying to get SRT working on a non-OS drive, that simple regedit fixed everything!!! Seriously, I was on the verge of breaking something in a mad rage :mad:

So yeah, cheers! :clap:

Any way you could recommend some drives small SSD's to use for this? I will be using a WD raptor in my new build for the OS.

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB is one of the better options. Cant beat $115 (on sale @newegg) plus Crucial is among the best for service.

Writes are brutal on that drive... but reads are nice!

Vertex 2 60GB for $110 gives less reads (285MB) but a lot more in writes (more balanced), but in fairness you read more than you write, especially once the cache stabilizes.

I have a Vertex 2 60GB, gives 60mb/s writes if Im lucky even after a fresh sani erase. Plus many people have had nothing but problems with these OCZ Vertex drives, I wouldnt recommend em personally.

Dont let drive specs on writes fool you, there are some patriot and adata drives that say 275mb/s writes but it doesnt mean the firmware is good or you will get anywhere near that figure.

Your vertex isnt working right then... or has, for some reason, degraded. Mine was banging off its specs over a year into its use with ATTO (which is what OCZ rates their drives off of as its compressible data).

Look at my OCZ Vertex 3 review which has tests across several and you will see how one should work.

There are issues with just about every drive out there. I wouldnt hesitate to reccomend OCZ really. ;)

I use mine for mb reviews testing caching and such so apparently it is in a "hammered state". Im also talking uncompressed data, ie crystaldiskmark for the 60mb/s I stated above. Basically same situation as this guy, down to 60mb/s. The drive has been benched on 2 different occasions so I guess using a drive for caching (non-trim environment) must be "hammering" it as well. :shrug:

The reason why I recommend M4 is built in idle time clean up. Let it idle after you run a bench and it will clean itself up. The difference is OTR controller instead of SF. :)

Disclaimer - not trying to nitpick, trying to learn. :)

What are the differences in the ITGC between the drives? What makes that function better on non SF drives? I have no statistical data, but I can tell you I INTENTIONALLY flashed to GC FW on my original Vertex (which was not SF) vs teh TRIM FW due to a post on the OCZ forum by Tony.

"More aggressive self-maintenance routines which start working sooner and faster"

Have a read of this page, it explains the diff between sandforce and Marvell 9174 a lot better than I can. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/45718-crucial-m4-256gb-ssd-review-2.html

Keep in mind SSD caching is using the drive in a non-trim environment

cheers
excellent link. Thank you.

As far as non trim environment, as discussed there is still gc. That and the fact that the data will quickly be more melees stagnant saying use you generallythe same things, I wouldn't be worried about a trimless environment personally.

Back