• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sticky Do NOT use FindMaxCore/Mem in AtiTool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hazaro said:
But the 9800's are months from now... :shrug:

:rolleyes:

This is what I first used to find my max clock and memory :santa:

I freaked out when everything froze up, but then everything went back to normal after 4 seconds, so I lowered the core clock by 10, and have been running at that since.

9800 as in ATI's cards that are like 4 years old.

thideras said:
I think he was using "sarcasm" :bday:

Linky

No need to go that far...

Anyway, I've used both programs and RivaTuner confuses me because it doesn't let me set low intensity 3D...

I have Riva set up to do it on startup though, and everything works ok for me :)

Thideras is the 'sarcasist'

He likes to use that word, and he likes to be it.

Knowing him he'll make a sarcastic post about my post :D

Can't you set ATI tool's sensitivity to detecting artifacts within the program? I know I've set it as sensitive as it can go and it still doesn't seem to do a very good job at detecting artifacts. Do they still even have that feature? I haven't used ATI tool in years. I just never thought it was that good.

I'm still using atitool to quickly get the in the ballpark of the OC limit on my 8800GTS. I can watch it carefully and click the abort button when I see the artifacts. Then back off a little and test it with some 3dmark06/Oblivion/Stalker/WolfET. Sooo much quicker for me than watching Return to Proxycon for the jillionth time... at every 10MHz increment.

Burninate said:
Can't you set ATI tool's sensitivity to detecting artifacts within the program? I know I've set it as sensitive as it can go and it still doesn't seem to do a very good job at detecting artifacts. Do they still even have that feature? I haven't used ATI tool in years. I just never thought it was that good.

The feature is still there, but it doesn't do anything, at least not on my rig.

You don't mix ATi and nVidia together.
It's like mixing an acid and a base.

And what's up with you lazy people?
What ever happened to bumping the clocks a few Hz at a time and when it becomes unstable, you bump the voltages, then you bump the clocks... and so on until you start running the thing a bit hot with the fan at whatever % you prefer to have it at.

Stop using the easy button! There are better ways!

REMEMBER THIS?!?!

Now why wasn't this ever stickied?

Because it shouldnt be. The issue with lockups is *user* driven when using max core, not the program.

#1 There's no reason to use caps
#2 Your card goes in 27/18/9mhz steps so it is impossible to go 1mhz at a time. If you don't know this, thats the problem.
#3 On cards that DO go 1mhz (1tick) at a time the program works flawlessly.
#4 You can always adjust how long it stays at each frequency.

REMEMBER THIS?!?!

Now why wasn't this ever stickied?

Just because you want something stuck does not mean it will end up there. I don't see why it should be a sticky. It takes a bit more work to have a thread stuck for reference.

The issue is not fatal. Viper pointed that out clearly. Also, who uses ATT anyway? With the number of hoops you have to jump through to even begin to overclock (turn of services, ensure the version you are using works with the particular driver release etc...), people are using other software. (All this with reference to ATI cards). Now with NV, apart from the fact that most people use Rivatuner there seem to be no issues if you followed what Sent said.

I have never used ATT for NV cards, but the points made seem pretty clear-cut.

Because it shouldnt be. The issue with lockups is *user* driven when using max core, not the program.

#1 There's no reason to use caps
#2 Your card goes in 27/18/9mhz steps so it is impossible to go 1mhz at a time. If you don't know this, thats the problem.
#3 On cards that DO go 1mhz (1tick) at a time the program works flawlessly.
#4 You can always adjust how long it stays at each frequency.

#1 - Then why was the "Caps Lock" invented? Why does it still exist?
#2, #3, #4 - Not saying you're wrong, but most people don't know that. IF there was a sticky with that information, more people would.

Just because you want something stuck does not mean it will end up there. I don't see why it should be a sticky. It takes a bit more work to have a thread stuck for reference.

The issue is not fatal. Viper pointed that out clearly. Also, who uses ATT anyway? With the number of hoops you have to jump through to even begin to overclock (turn of services, ensure the version you are using works with the particular driver release etc...), people are using other software. (All this with reference to ATI cards). Now with NV, apart from the fact that most people use Rivatuner there seem to be no issues if you followed what Sent said.

I have never used ATT for NV cards, but the points made seem pretty clear-cut.

I'm just saying every other month someone shows up here with the exact same question. Usually Deathman20 and Viperjohn cime-in with the exact same answer. This wouldn't be necessary if there was a sticky.

That's all.

Apparently there is an online movement to abolish the CAPS LOCK key entirely, some people passionately hate that key. :rolleyes:

Heh... You don't say? I wonder if "Capson.org" is already taken...

I can start my own counter movement of half-wit drunks and angry journalists.

ATItools "Find Maxes" have never been accurate. Scan for Artifacts can help in getting you into the ball park
quicker but you still have to run other benchmarks and torture loops to dial a card in completely.

One thing the Find Max won't do is damage your card unless it is on the verge of dying anyway. When the
OC gets high enough to core lock thats it. The GPU stops processing at that point and the die temps drop
like a rock.

Viper

well i dont know what to say. ive never had a problem. the find max core/clock is so you know when ur card will not handle those settings. once u find the max and see artifacting stop the program. remember those settings and then you actually clock lower than what the program says is your max.

Yogurt

I'm still using atitool to quickly get the in the ballpark of the OC limit on my 8800GTS. I can watch it carefully and click the abort button when I see the artifacts. Then back off a little and test it with some 3dmark06/Oblivion/Stalker/WolfET. Sooo much quicker for me than watching Return to Proxycon for the jillionth time... at every 10MHz increment.

+1
+1
+1

Been using it with no problems. However it would seem many others do have problems so if it's gonna save someone a lot of heartache and maybe their graphics card.... STICKY... oh wait... I think it is!

:D

Edit: Ooops yup my bad, not a sticky yet :(

Last edited:
Back