• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still Hate 8 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Each system was tested with both 7 and 8. Pretend that only one of the systems is there, and the supposed variables go away.

Comparing Apples to Oranges is still Apples to Oranges no matter how you try to sugar coat it. To me that whole process in the article is completely flawed. The methodology used is flawed. An apple just does not taste like an orange.

To Skyrim, which I play I get over 80 FPS on my amd system FX 8120, XFX HD 7770, 8 gig hyperx blu DDR 1600 ram and just normal sata drives.

i dont think you guys are grasping the concept.

the test is not flawed.
they tested 3 different computers each one first with windows 7 next with eight
then they switch all 3 of them to eight
then they compared each system against ONLY IT SELF eight vs 7 not pc vs pc but os vs os
the guy did a good review apples to apples
id think he did different systems just to show it wasnt a one time event that the performance gain was not just particular to the one system rather was a static result over multiple setups.
i dont see what you guys are going on about its a flawed test, go back and read it again.

p.s. my eight number key doesnt work thats why i typed it out i already have the letter p copied to my clipboard.

To Skyrim, which I play I get over 80 FPS on my amd system FX 8120, XFX HD 7770, 8 gig hyperx blu DDR 1600 ram and just normal sata drives.

That's great, then your performance will be 80+ FPS if you upgrade to windows 8. That's what the article was about... It's not about comparing your system to an intel or any other system...

The article was meant to show you how your performance will change by upgrading to windows 8.

ITS NOT ABOUT FRUIT

One more time , folks. W8 and W7 were tested on EACH system and the results compared by system.
System A. Test 7. Test 8.
System B. Test 7. Test 8.
System C. Test 7. Test 8.
System A = 8 won
System B = 8 won
System C = 8 won
Skyrim = Intel won
\dev\goat , I'm gonna need something a little stronger than beer.....LOL. :)

LOL, Windows 8.

Hey, lets put a phone/tablet OS on a PC (most of which do not have touchscreens) and see how it fares!

Yeah, okay MS. I hope this flops like Vista did, teach em a lesson for W9.

Unless Halo 3 for PC comes out only for W8 like Halo 2 did for Vista, then I'll pass.

And even then, Virtual machine ftw. Or dual partitions and all that.

gl with virtual machine and playing 3d games lol but dual partitions seems more practical

Anybody here have any comparisons (anecdotal or statistical) they'd care to share ?

Now that I have had it on all but one of our production machines for over a week, I can state categorically that Windows 8 is noticeably faster than 7 for our daily computing tasks. This includes:

• Adobe CS6 Creative Suite (Photoshop really benefits)
  • MSSQL & Visual Studio
  • Virtualization via Hyper-V
  • Quickbooks, Office 2013, various browsers & networking utilities

Strictly anecdotal, but easy to quantify:

Program start up and shutdown times are decreased by about 20%.
System start up and shutdown times are reduced by ~35-40%.

The Win8 UI means typically 50% fewer clicks to get to the programs we use most without using a 3rd-party launcher. The excellent new task manager makes fine-tuning faster, and the real-time network analytical tools help with proactive measures to ensure LAN performance.

All of this equates to more efficient (read:faster) computing. BTW, never hated it. Had reservations during beta, but those have been dispelled by work experience.

Last edited:
Im gonna stick around with Windows 7... hopefully someone brings DX 11.1 to Windows 7. should be easy for someone? lol

need the games first.

Hafa do you use the standard ui and everything? Out-of-the-box experience?

Thinking of buying 2 copies myself, for htpc and desktop.

Im gonna stick around with Windows 7... hopefully someone brings DX 11.1 to Windows 7. should be easy for someone? lol

need the games first.

But the silver lining is that most games today still use Direct X 9 and developers will now start basing games on Direct X 11, since there are a large number of Windows 7 users out there. Also, Direct X 11.1 isn't very different from older versions. Its only real addition is the support for native stereoscopic 3D, a feature that a vast majority of gamers don't care about at the moment. So yes, Windows 7 should be good for a few more years until game developers decide to move to Direct X 11.1 themselves.

http://www.rttnews.com/2005488/direct-x-11-1-to-support-only-windows-8.aspx?type=gag

DirectX 11.1 is included in Windows 8. It supports WDDM 1.2 for increased performance, features improved integration of Direct2D, Direct3D, and DirectCompute, and includes DirectXMath, XAudio2, and XInput libraries from the XNA framework. It also features stereoscopic 3D support for gaming and video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

Microsoft better bring something better to the table than 11.1 before I change my gaming system to windows 8

Last edited:
That's great, then your performance will be 80+ FPS if you upgrade to windows 8. That's what the article was about... It's not about comparing your system to an intel or any other system...

The article was meant to show you how your performance will change by upgrading to windows 8.

ITS NOT ABOUT FRUIT

Incidentally I do use Win 8.

No it is not fruit however it is just a "saying."

All I think anyone is saying about it including myself is either the the write up was not clear or people would rather see as far as possible the exact same hardware be used across all testing. AKA the same GPU, RAM and HD.

I did find it interesting as a read. And I appreciate the person that did the testing as it confirmed in my observations when i was dual booting win 7 and 8 and gaming. Though observation is nothing definite.

I did see improvements in gaming on Win 8 using all the exact same hardware no matter if I was using my new XFX HD 7770 or my older GTX 550 ti, but as I said it was just observation not testing or benching so not valid.

The chart where they put all 3 systems together is giving the impression that they're basing Win 7/8 performace between the 3 systems, that's where they should've left out that chart or put each system in its own comparison instead. It's not supposed to be a system comparison race, but that article is making it out to be.

One more time , folks. W8 and W7 were tested on EACH system and the results compared by system.
System A. Test 7. Test 8.
System B. Test 7. Test 8.
System C. Test 7. Test 8.
System A = 8 won
System B = 8 won
System C = 8 won
Skyrim = Intel won
\dev\goat , I'm gonna need something a little stronger than beer.....LOL. :)

The article is this ^

I think its a great article! Good job on the comparison.

Windows 7 will probably be my last Microsoft OS personally.. If that means less games, so be it. Maybe I can get more work done! ;)

Last edited:
Back