• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STOP... EVERYTHING! There's a new game out: THE FINALS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
We might even have to tell Earthdog that this exists! This game JUST came out... it's FREE... and it looks AMAZINGLY fun!

I'm going to go download this RIGHT NOW.

i was in the closed beta for this, its pretty good.
like 44 hours in less than 2 weeks good

I don't do shooters, and if co-op I don't want to be the person to drag the team down :D But it does look nice. Downloading now just so I can have a look. Are there enough free explore/tutorial areas that could be useful as a benchmark test? If it has a built in benchmark, even better.

I remember watching a video on it a couple months back, highlights were graphics/optimization and that it supposedly runs on a toaster like DOOM if needed, didn't know it was supposed to out so early, gonna try it as well 👍🏻

Had a quick look. The tutorial map lets you mess around so it's ok to test with if I can go back in at will. I didn't play with settings but I see nvidia frame gen is supported, which to me would seem to go against this type of game where latency might be more important. No idea what setting it defaulted to but I was at the upper end of my monitors refresh while I was messing around, 120+.

I've been reading about it thanks to the endless promotion its getting right now. The destructive environment is nice and its free so I'll give it a go but I expect it will be another Fortnite which I can't stand.

I've been reading about it thanks to the endless promotion its getting right now. The destructive environment is nice and its free so I'll give it a go but I expect it will be another Fortnite which I can't stand.
Just to be clear, it's not anything like Fortnite (or PUBG, or Apex Legends). It's not the same genre (Fortnite/those titles are a Battle Royale). It's much closer to Counter-Strike or Valorant. Think teams with canned weapons and special items, twitch shooter, holding corners/angles, forced teamwork for success.

If you like CS/CS2 and Valorant, you'll probably like this.

Last edited:
I remember watching a video on it a couple months back, highlights were graphics/optimization and that it supposedly runs on a toaster like DOOM if needed, didn't know it was supposed to out so early, gonna try it as well 👍🏻

Yeah it came out of nowhere... N4G was down for like two days. When it came back up there were TEN articles about this game that I never heard of...

Had a quick look. The tutorial map lets you mess around so it's ok to test with if I can go back in at will. I didn't play with settings but I see nvidia frame gen is supported, which to me would seem to go against this type of game where latency might be more important. No idea what setting it defaulted to but I was at the upper end of my monitors refresh while I was messing around, 120+.

I was able to eek out 85-100fps in 4K. Never even occurred to me to check and see what I could get at 1080p...

Nah... It's essentially a cross between like Team Fortress 2 and Smash TV. Has that whole "GAMESHOW" kind of atmosphere like Smash TV (without all the cool bosses of course...)

It also borrows heavily from Rainbow Six Siege.

So no... not anything like Fortnite at all (I hate Fortnite).

Teams... smaller maps... destructible environments.

100fps in 4K on a 4060 is impressive... I've never seen that before. Default settings, too...

100fps in 4K on a 4060 is impressive... I've never seen that before. Default settings, too...
A lot of that has to do with the type of game it is. These arena shooter-type things rely on high fps, high tick (server mode refresh). It's not stunning graphically.

The most intriguing part of it for me was the destructible environment which makes it unique compared to Valorant or CS.

Nah... It's essentially a cross between like Team Fortress 2 and Smash TV. Has that whole "GAMESHOW" kind of atmosphere like Smash TV (without all the cool bosses of course...)

I think of it like Smash combined with Red Faction

but unless you played a lot of fast shooters like UT and Quake, or your getting too old, i could see people not getting into it

I tried it this weekend. I like the maps with a lack of choke points that all shooters seem to have these days. The destructive environment was really neat so I hope other games start picking up on this. Battlefield tried it a while back but never to this extent. The gameshow atmosphere is fun and makes me feal like I'm playing in The Running Man movie. Where it lost me is the lack of skins and weapons. All players had the same weapons and same skins the whole time I played. I would assume this will change as the game ages but for now it seems simple and boring to look at. Also I'm definitely not into the cartoon look.

I tried it this weekend. I like the maps with a lack of choke points that all shooters seem to have these days. The destructive environment was really neat so I hope other games start picking up on this. Battlefield tried it a while back but never to this extent. The gameshow atmosphere is fun and makes me feal like I'm playing in The Running Man movie. Where it lost me is the lack of skins and weapons. All players had the same weapons and same skins the whole time I played. I would assume this will change as the game ages but for now it seems simple and boring to look at. Also I'm definitely not into the cartoon look.

Did you see the shield?

ok this invis thing they didnt fix from the beta is really kinda crap.

it might make me stop playing the game

If you mean the one you place, yes a nice add. The foam nade was cool too.

No... I meant the BIG-*** riot shield that you can walk around with (and they give you like a baton to go with it) that absorbs 100% of damage while you're holding it up. (It's one of the weapons you can select.)

Back