• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange boot up with new RAID0 array

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rangi

I have just installed a new RAID0 array. Installed xpsp2 etc but when I re boot without the XP disc in my cdrom I get a Disk boot error or a system file is missing e.g. ntdlr or some such.
In the Bios I have selected 1st to 3rd boot device disable("boot other" is also selected as enable, will not boot into windows with out this selection), ensured boot selection was the Nvidia stripe where needed.
I have tried variations on enabling harddisk as 1st\2nd
3rd boot but no luck there.
So one would expect to boot cleanly into windows right? Well no, without having the xp disc in the cdrom a clean boot is not possible.

Has anyone got any Ideas how to fix this problem?

rangi

I got this message after installing an add on Promise sata controller. After install, the promise took over the number 1 boot spot. and I had not yet formatted the two 250 gig HDD's. I just went back into bios, After several choice words, and bumped the card down the boot line. My bios is set to raid first, than dvd, than floppy.

rangi said:
I have just installed a new RAID0 array. Installed xpsp2 etc but when I re boot without the XP disc in my cdrom I get a Disk boot error or a system file is missing e.g. ntdlr or some such.
In the Bios I have selected 1st to 3rd boot device disable("boot other" is also selected as enable, will not boot into windows with out this selection), ensured boot selection was the Nvidia stripe where needed.
I have tried variations on enabling harddisk as 1st\2nd
3rd boot but no luck there.
So one would expect to boot cleanly into windows right? Well no, without having the xp disc in the cdrom a clean boot is not possible.

Has anyone got any Ideas how to fix this problem?

rangi
Did you install the F6 RAID drivers when you did your windows installation?

Sounds like you may not understand the boot device priority. You should not be disabling all the devices and only enableing "other". Enable the first boot device, try selecting various options, one at a time - HDD0, HDD1, scsi. Which one works can vary... For me when I was using a PCI RAID card I had to use SCSI to get it running.

Switching HDD from 1st, 2nd, or 3rd boot device will change nothing however. The 1st device is the first option the system will try to boot from, you select here what the system tries first (CDROM). If that fails, the system will then try the selection you have under 2nd boot device. If you are trying to get it to boot from HDD0 as the 1st boot device and that doesn't work, switching it to the 2nd boot device will make no difference.

JCLW said:
Did you install the F6 RAID drivers when you did your windows installation?

He wouldn't have been able to install windows to the array unless the setup program had the drivers to see/operate the array controller.

Hi all thanks for all the great advice.

I have selected one at a time to see what would boot, all I have in selection(for 1st,2nd and 3rd boot) is harddisk, floppy, cdrom, network and disabled thats it.

Maybe my boot sector on c:\ is dodgy, but I'm willing to get a second opinion :)

Back