• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Strange buzzing noise from Pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orangehaze68

Registered
Hi I have just upgraded my motherboard to a ASUS P8Z68-V LX, now i seem to be getting a strange noise coming from one of the fans. I have taken out my graphics card, noise still happens so know its not that. When the CPU fan speeds up the noise does not.
The CPU fan seems very erratic, speeds right up then slows down, sometimes it stays sped up but then loses speed is that normal behavior, cant say i have noticed it before.

My spec is as follows;
OS - Windows 7 64 bit
Tower - Ezcool H550D-F25
Mobo - ASUS P8Z68-V LX
CPU - i3 2120
Fan - STOCK
RAM - 16GB DDR3
PSU - OCZ 700W MobXstream
G/C - ASUS HD 6950 Direct Cu ii

Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Orangehaze68

Turn the computer off, unplug one fan, turn it back on. Go through each fan (only having one unplugged at a time) to see which one it is.

If it's not a fan, I have no answer for you.

I have narrowed it down to either the PSU and CPU fans, but stuck to how to test on wards without buying a replacement, they are barely 6month old the CPU fan is only 3months old.

Thanks for your reply
Orangehaze68

You can use your finger on the fan hub to stop the CPU fan, or just unplug it.
Keep your fingers out of the blades though, getting hit hurts at best and breaks the fan+draws blood at worst.

I have unplugged the CPU fan and its still making noise so PSU? Is not very old at all!

Exchanged PSU for another unfortunatly didnt stock my one so had to get another ANTEC 620W step down but that was the only one around the same price. Sounds normal now
Thanks for your help!!!
Orangehaze68

Back