• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stranglehold Demo 360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twEEkerAreUs

Yeah just downloaded it and tried it out, seems pretty good. Non stop action guns blazing and stuff exploding, heard it has multiplayer too...I wonder if it will have COOP?

Co-Op would be wonderful but it looks like deathmatch only. Which is still better than nothing.

I think it's one of those games like Heavenly Sword where you really have to learn how to play to get the most out of it. Otherwise it could be pretty mindless. But once I started taking cover behind walls, doing precision shots and paying more attention to the environment it was simultaneously a lot easier to play and a lot more fun.

Great, one game I have been looking forward to playing on my 360 and the day demo comes out my console gets the red ring of death :mad:

RedDragonXXX said:
Great, one game I have been looking forward to playing on my 360 and the day demo comes out my console gets the red ring of death :mad:

Wrap it in a towel and turn it on for half an hour or so. I've seen video of that working (and it this point it couldn't hurt now could it?)

My 360 also glitched out on me today. I took out the garbage and came back and there were all these artifacts on the screen. But I just turned it off and back on again.

Good as new. :shrug:

rainless said:
Wrap it in a towel and turn it on for half an hour or so. I've seen video of that working (and it this point it couldn't hurt now could it?)
I wonder how thats supposed to work, something to do with it overheating it to the point the heatsink fuses to the GPU somehow improving cooling and making baby 360 all better? Im not denying that it works, just wondering how.

Links to demo?

freakdiablo said:
I wonder how thats supposed to work, something to do with it overheating it to the point the heatsink fuses to the GPU somehow improving cooling and making baby 360 all better? Im not denying that it works, just wondering how.

Links to demo?

No links. It's on Xbox Live.

I think the red lights are related to the 360 board warping. By wrapping it in a towel it heats up and lowers itself back down. That's why banging on the side of the 360 also seems to help. It's just a matter of flattening the motherboard.

I've done the towel trick and it only worked for a total of 5 mins before my 360 was bricked again, so you can try it but don't hold your breath or be excited when your 360 turns back on after. Apparently what is happening when you do this is heating the board and chipsets up so much that the solder remelts and temporarily fuses the components back together for a short while, some people have had weeks of sucess from this trick while others got nothing, and as I said I got 5 more mins use by this trick.. hardly worth the 30 mins it takes to do this trick from start to finish in my books.

12am said:
I've done the towel trick and it only worked for a total of 5 mins before my 360 was bricked again, so you can try it but don't hold your breath or be excited when your 360 turns back on after. Apparently what is happening when you do this is heating the board and chipsets up so much that the solder remelts and temporarily fuses the components back together for a short while, some people have had weeks of sucess from this trick while others got nothing, and as I said I got 5 more mins use by this trick.. hardly worth the 30 mins it takes to do this trick from start to finish in my books.

Oh well... I've got a one year replacement plan. So if I ever have trouble with my 360 I'll just walk around the corner and get another one.

Be carefull of them replacement plans, I went through best buy on my first 360 and it was carefully written that if they could *not* repair it they would exchange it for me wich of course microsoft will repair every 360 with the red ring error, therefore making best buy's replacement plan garbage and a total money waste seeing as they will just send it away for you... needless to say I just bought another 360 core system and put my old hd in, and told best buy they could stick thier replacement plan where the sun didn't shine lol.

12am said:
Be carefull of them replacement plans, I went through best buy on my first 360 and it was carefully written that if they could *not* repair it they would exchange it for me wich of course microsoft will repair every 360 with the red ring error, therefore making best buy's replacement plan garbage and a total money waste seeing as they will just send it away for you... needless to say I just bought another 360 core system and put my old hd in, and told best buy they could stick thier replacement plan where the sun didn't shine lol.

Yeah, definitely have to get the replacement warrenties were you swap your broken for a new unit like the game stores offer regardless of the issue/repair.

ps people think the problem is the heat cause conections between the mobo and cpu to separate and by overheating with the towel trick it softens the solder enough to reconnect the... connections between mobo and cpu. Some people say the connections go bad due to heat and some say the board warps causing it. All I know is that I don't know why or what happens, but the theories sound good:)

rainless said:
That's why banging on the side of the 360 also seems to help. It's just a matter of flattening the motherboard.

Lol "this is how we fix XBOX360 in mother Russia" I hope the 360 that I get this weekend doesnt have issues.

FudgeNuggets said:
Rainman, the artifacting issue is caused by the GPU getting too hot.

I suspected as much... But that's kind of odd because it REALLY wasn't doing anything. I mean it was just sitting at the dashboard. You can't get more "not doing anything" than that. That's like having your video card crash at the Windows desktop. Matter of fact it's worse! :)

OC Noob said:
Yeah, definitely have to get the replacement warrenties were you swap your broken for a new unit like the game stores offer regardless of the issue/repair.

ps people think the problem is the heat cause conections between the mobo and cpu to separate and by overheating with the towel trick it softens the solder enough to reconnect the... connections between mobo and cpu. Some people say the connections go bad due to heat and some say the board warps causing it. All I know is that I don't know why or what happens, but the theories sound good:)

Due to the high failure rates of the 360 alot of retailers aren't offering direct swap replacement plans for 360's anymore due to the large turnovers and losses they have had to incur. Personally in my area all the EBGames stores will now refuse you replacement plans on 360's, but that's a story for generous other threads lol...

Back to the topic, stranglehold always seemed to have clunky controls from the vids I've seen, very similar as to how dead to rights felt from the XBOX days. Does Stranglehold feel similar or am I crazy?

maxio098ui said:
i was always in doubt of strangle hold but it might be cool. i was always scared of it going like that game based in la and after in new york. i just cant get the name atm.

That would be the True Crime series.

12am said:
Due to the high failure rates of the 360 alot of retailers aren't offering direct swap replacement plans for 360's anymore due to the large turnovers and losses they have had to incur. Personally in my area all the EBGames stores will now refuse you replacement plans on 360's, but that's a story for generous other threads lol...

Back to the topic, stranglehold always seemed to have clunky controls from the vids I've seen, very similar as to how dead to rights felt from the XBOX days. Does Stranglehold feel similar or am I crazy?

How can you tell what the controls are like by watching a video?

Anyway... "No." The controls aren't clunky at all. I believe they spend 80% of their time working on the controls and it shows. You sort of get a mini-lock on targets you're in the general direction of aiming at (a-la Doom. Why don't more games have this these days?) But you also have a lot of extra control when you need it.

I think the only way to play Stranglehold is either on Hard or Hard-boiled. Otherwise you have no idea what the game is really about. (The importance of using the environment against your enemies. The importance of taking cover and then fleeing that cover. Using the special techniques to your advantage.)

The ambush in the market is a good example of this. On casual and normal you can just walk through it. On Hard and Hard-Boiled it takes an incredible amount of technique just to survive.

rainless said:
How can you tell what the controls are like by watching a video?

Anyway... "No." The controls aren't clunky at all. I believe they spend 80% of their time working on the controls and it shows. You sort of get a mini-lock on targets you're in the general direction of aiming at (a-la Doom. Why don't more games have this these days?) But you also have a lot of extra control when you need it.

I think the only way to play Stranglehold is either on Hard or Hard-boiled. Otherwise you have no idea what the game is really about. (The importance of using the environment against your enemies. The importance of taking cover and then fleeing that cover. Using the special techniques to your advantage.)

The ambush in the market is a good example of this. On casual and normal you can just walk through it. On Hard and Hard-Boiled it takes an incredible amount of technique just to survive.

I dunno, the vids I watched always looked like the character was moving around kinda clunkily (I know that's not a word but best describes what I saw) I'm still gonna check the game out for myself before dropping the cash on a purchase or rental.

Back