• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Streaming a CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
So the "Superdrive" in my MacBook Pro hasn't worked in YEARS and I've just started listening to CDs again.

But the only other drive that I have is on my desktop machine in another room. So I figured... "Meh... the hell with it! I'll just stream it!"

...neither love nor money could let me stream a CD!

You see... every album you've ever heard of any note at all has been remastered. (Astral Weeks, Music from Big Pink, Moondance, The Band... etc). So I'd like to really HEAR them while I work in my office in the other room. But this is proving... tricky.

My interim solution is to just rip the CDs to wav files and stick them all on a USB stick. But at 800MB a pop... (and with more CDs on the way...) I just don't think that's sustainable.

VLC has an OPTION to stream CDs... Anybody ever actually get this to WORK?

Rip to FLAC and you can stream running a Plex server at your house (music, movies, tv, etc)

I used to rip to mp3 variable until I realized backups were important after I lost it all when a hd failed. Now I rip solely to flac high compression 8 to my 'storage' drives and keep a mirror of that just in case. I purchased a 500GB sdcard for my tablet specifically so that all my flac files ripped to mp3 variable would all fit with room to spare. I have ~233GB of mp3's ripped from the flacs.
Anydesk can essentially mirror a desktop so that if everything is in one location you can run a virtual desktop of that system on another system running in another room on the same network. It emulates the first system on the second as if you were in front of it, sound included.
You did not say what you are using in the office but good speakers are highly recommended. I have a pair of jbl flip4's I bought just for my tablet's sdcard mp3 files I use with a breakout cable.
https://anydesk.com/en/downloads/mac-os
Free in windows if not mac. Both setups must be on and running anydesk.

Last edited:
Back