• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck at 100mbps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Southpawjoe

Registered
Weirdest issue that I have encountered thus building pc's and I can't figure this one out. Got a new rig up and running and while downloading software I noticed my download speed was only 85mbps (should be 300). Figured since I just installed windows and was getting around to the lan driver install. So I installed the latest driver and rebooted and noticed that the speed on the link was at 100mbps, not the 1gigbps.

So windows 10 x64 is fully up to date
Asus x570 Prime-p is up to date with the bios
All the chipset drivers and AMD Ryzen Master installed
Latest Asus Lan Drivers installed
Motorola 7700 has 4 10/100/1000 ports

Untitled.jpg

So I thought I thought something was wrong with the lan cable. So I simply plugged it into my old rig and fired it up. And sure enough its 1gigbps. I'm completely lost on what to do short of returning the mobo and getting a different one (but that would be a huge pain!!). Anyone encounter this problem before?

Try manually setting the speed to 1GB instead of autonegotiate. It should be in the properties of the adapter in device manager. Make sure your router ports are set to 1GB or auto.

The only time I've seen my speed drop to 100mb was when my router and/or cable modem needed a reboot, I have 1gb switches and router and cable speed is 300mb down and 20mb up, but every once in a while they can get glitched and you need to reboot or unplug the power for 30sec to clear it up.

try another Ethernet cable, one broken strand or untwisted pair or a number of reasons a bad cable will drop the connection speed to 100mbs, other options are as suggested above rebooting machines, and setting the speed in the driver settings.

try another Ethernet cable, one broken strand or untwisted pair or a number of reasons a bad cable will drop the connection speed to 100mbs, other options are as suggested above rebooting machines, and setting the speed in the driver settings.
Agreed. If the connection is auto-negotiating to a lower speed, manually setting the speed higher should be one of the last things you do. Verify everything the computer is connected to is rated for gigabit (the switch or router it is plugged into) and verify the cable is good. Try other ports on the switch/router. Try other cables.

Use process of elimination to find the problem. Don't force troubleshooting.

It is on auto-negotiate. And I have my old rig next to me and when I switch the lan cable to that one its insta 1gig so I know its not the cable or the router. I'm going to try to force 1gig and then reboot the router see if that does anything.

Edit:

Did above, no joy. Tried resetting modem to factory default, no joy (even though old rig still goes 1gig). Safe to say something wrong with the onboard nic on this motherboard.

Last edited:
Back