• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stuck in WIN 7 64 safemode help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soldierguy

Hey all.. Ya stuck in Safemode?? I thought I could tap F8 key on restart to get a startup option and switch to Normal mode. But only get list of boot drive options when I tap F8 key.

I was in Safemode removing AMD files and drivers including my Radeon7000 driver so I could reinstall all with newer.

Help please
Thanks

Or maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe this is normal mode with no AMD graphics? Maybe my 7000 series gpu is running now. Control panel does not show it...say Standard vga graphics..I'll bet that's it..I'm in normal mode with VGA and it looks like Safemode. I'll install some new Catalyst and 7000 graphics and see if it doesn't change.

Last know good configuration etc....ya I was looking for that..but that didn't appear on the screen for me.. Only got the boot drive options..nothing else. I forget is F8 not the right key? or am I tapping at the wrong time. I thought I new how to do this, but i guess I'm wrong

Tapping the F8 key repeatedly during POST will bring you to the Advanced Boot Options screen, where you can select Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc.

Uh? I'm doing something wrong then. Because I was expecting that but just go the list of drives from which to select as boot option..I'll try all again. Thanks.

If the Options screen isn't coming up, instead of hitting the F8 key hit the space bar repeatedly until the Boot Manager screen appears. Then you can hit F8 to bring up the Advanced Options menu.

Good to know about the space bar..I never knew about that..or another senior moment that I've forgotten. Anyway i installed the newer Catalyst Suite which also included the 7000 series gpu driver and restarted my machine...and its all good. I must have had the normal mode before, but with so much turned off graphic wise it just "looked like" Safemode. But next time I restart the PC I'll check out the space bar option for sure.

Thanks for all the help..good to go. Have fun in Portland. Got some Facebook pics from relatives and friends a few weeks back on the Rose Parade?..or what was it? some sort of big parade FredMeyer? something anyway..cool pics..looked like fun cya

Soldier guy is correct. My last two Asus boards bring up the boot drive options if you tap during post. If you wait until right when the post screen goes black and keep hitting f8 you will get the safe mode menu.

Back