• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Succes with the fx 6350 and crosshair 4 formula!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magnummur

Registered
Clearly, I'm not the first to accomplish this, but would just like to throw out to the knowledge base here that the Amd fx x3xx series seems to run beautifully on this 890fx chipset.

So far, I'm overclocked via fsb to 4.65ghz and I'm testing stability via OCCT 4.4.0 for the last 1.5 hours. At cpuv 1.45volts Oc'd to 4.75ghz it throws an illegal sum error. Same with prime 95.

I must also have a dud Phenom 970. I could never oc it higher than 3.9ghz without it bsoding and the heat coming from that chip was no cooler than this 6350.

I've noticed that Overclocking via the multiplier is pretty useless with this chip however as the APM throttles the clock and volts down. There are no more options that I can find aside from disabling cpu OCP, cpu OV protection, and cpu/nb OV protection, cool n quiet and so on. They're all disabled.

So unless you're able to disable the APM what's the point of the fx or BE processors now? Do the non fx and BE versions of processors still allow you to tweak the voltages?

I did some reading through here but the answer escaped me as to what another practical method was, short of installing a home-made bios if one exists.

For now, I'm to the limit of how much more voltage I can throw at this chip (1.45volts) before my water temps get too high to cool anymore. I figure I need a much better rad that allows for better water flow, and the $25 pond pump in a chest camping cooler is only a temporary solution. :p

Do the non fx and BE versions of processors still allow you to tweak the voltages? = Surely should. Cannot see why you could not do so.

APM = Disabled is not a bios menu option on that older 890FX chipset board. My understanding it took 'hardware' to allow that option in bios.
RGone...

Back