• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sucking vs blowing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All the theories and standard practices have exceptions:)

Thats what experimentation is for, after all....

icedog9999-

7 exhaust fans is probaly hurting your temps more than helping: balanced (or close to it) airflow is usually best. With 7 fans on exhaust and no intake, right now you are trying to remove air that can't get into the case, essentially.

What usually works best is intake low in front and exhaust high in back. Try it and I bet your case temps go down and bring the cpu temp down at the same time....

The exact placement and number of fans doing intake or exhaust is vey subjective: what works for one may not work as well in another case; again, this is why we experiment.

When trying different cooling ideas out I track all temps and try one change at a time: narrows down the possibilities of which change does what to my temps.

Also- cardboard and duct tape are your friends:) they work wonders for making test case pieces while you experiment and the cardboard can be used as a template if and when you need to mod case panels.

i have found on my mothers PC the reversing it and making it blow apon the sink decreased the temp by 2c not enuff to hoot about but its just another input(she has an HP bah... PO Crap not sure of the model)

rogerdugans said:
All the theories and standard practices have exceptions:)

Thats what experimentation is for, after all....

icedog9999-

7 exhaust fans is probaly hurting your temps more than helping: balanced (or close to it) airflow is usually best. With 7 fans on exhaust and no intake, right now you are trying to remove air that can't get into the case, essentially.

What usually works best is intake low in front and exhaust high in back. Try it and I bet your case temps go down and bring the cpu temp down at the same time....

The exact placement and number of fans doing intake or exhaust is vey subjective: what works for one may not work as well in another case; again, this is why we experiment.

When trying different cooling ideas out I track all temps and try one change at a time: narrows down the possibilities of which change does what to my temps.

Also- cardboard and duct tape are your friends:) they work wonders for making test case pieces while you experiment and the cardboard can be used as a template if and when you need to mod case panels.

More air going into the case is better ( cooler case temp and less dust ) than more air going out from the case. So if you have 7 fans ( wow !! ) you can arrange 5 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans.

asw7576 said:

More air going into the case is better ( cooler case temp and less dust ) than more air going out from the case.

You can't maintain more air going into the case than is going out. If you could, your case would eventually explode from the pressure.

To have good cooling you want to maximize air flow through the case. (Cool air going in and warm air coming out.)

Back