• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a gaming rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dlf

Was wondering if I could get a possible price for this. I'd personally would rather buy a prebuilt computer instead of buying the parts and trying to assemble myself (even with help). If I do assemble, EVERY part should come from Newegg or Tiger (or you all can suggest other good sites)

Hardware

- USB 2.0 speeds that are minimum of 30 MB a second
- USB 3.0 speeds that are at lest 300+ MB/s
- Windows Experience Index of at lest 5.0 (minimum)* -- Although if 6.0 min could be possible, fine or even 7.
- Firewire (and or eSata port) --- because I have a external hardrive that has both along with USB
- At lest a solid terabyte (1.5 TB)
- Has either a VGA or DVI port (current monitor I have has both)
- Also has support for HDMI (for the future monitor)
- Multicard reader (although I mainly need SD and Memory Pro Stick Duo)
- Able to use a PS3 controller AND A XBOX 360 controller (and it if possible all of Wii's main controllers)
- I would like a quad core, would hex make much difference in real performance?
- Multiple internal DVD drives (mostly to spend less time swapping discs when installing games).

Software

- Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) (Main OS)
- Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit (if needed)
- Windows XP (if 64 bit won't run some of the games I have) (if needed)
- Folding@home (although I use my PS3 for that when I'm not using it)
- Able to run most games from DOS era on, probably high settings

Gaming Software:

- Will use steam:
-- Elder Scrolls
-- Portal 1 & 2
-- Batman Arkham (Asylum/City)
-- Sonic Generations
-- Quake
-- Wolfenstein (3D)
-- Commander keen
-- Bioshock (1/2)
- L.A. Noire
and others
- Will use CD/DVD's of the games I have:
-- Warcraft 2 - Tides of Darkness & Beyond the Dark Portal
-- Warcraft 3 - Reign of Chaos & Frozen Throne
-- Diablo 1 - 3 (when it comes out)
-- The Sims 1 - And all expansions
-- The Sims 2 (probably)
-- Simcity 4000 & Rushhour
- May use emulation (to run up to the PS2/Wii)

What else I would like (MISC)

- Nothing I can think of @ moment

What I don't need:

- Speakers
- A monitor (@ this time)
- Dual GPU's (though folding@home may be useful for this)
- Alienware (or similar)
- Would rather not have to overclock anything. Rather would use good fans to cool.

* - My current (slimline)'s lowest is 2.6 (graphics), than game graphics (3.0), processor/RAM are 4.7 & primary hardisk is 5.6 . . . My current computer can play Warcrafts, SimCity & TS1.

That's all I can think of the moment. Max budget, If possible within $1200 - $1500 range.

A few suggestions to get you started...

Mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 (has Firewire & USB 3.0)
Case: Corsair 500R, or Antec 302
Ram: not too fussy, something like:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=57869&vpn=KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX&manufacture=Kingston&promoid=1215
GPU: depends on your budget, i would aim to get at least a 6870 or GTX 560
Hard Drive: might want to consider an SSD? If so, i recommend a M4. For the hard drive, i'd go with a Seagate or Western Digital, as long as it is not the "green edition"
OS: Why do you want Ultimate? For most people home premium or pro if you need more ram or networking features are fine.
PSU: I'd go with something like this Seasonic unit:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=52174&vpn=S12II 620&manufacture=Seasonic Electronics

Also, if you buy from NCIX, for $50 they will build it for you.

I want Ultimate mostly for the languages, and in the case that some games won't install, try to run XP mode (if not a dual boot for XP). The recommended specs of L.A Noire say up to 8 GB of RAM, jezz.

RAM is very cheap, you can get 16GB for under $100, so it is not that big of a deal if you need more.

Ultimate comes with more languages than pro (which also supports XP mode)?

WEI is a rather useless benchmark, just saying. This has been repeatedly proven.

I'm pretty sure you get all languages and XP mode in Pro. Especially since W7 Ultimate will eat a HUGE chunk of that budget.

XBox 360 controllers are natively supported in Windows, you're going to have to do a bit of research to find the required drivers and hacks to get Wii and PS3 controllers to work. It's possible though. You'll need Bluetooth for the Wii controller.

$220 really don't seem that large, that (according to Microsoft's website) is $20 more the professional . . . should mentition that I'm in the US, not Canada. That Corsair case seems fancy.

That's retail price...you'd want the OEM price.
Home Premium - $100
Professional - $140
Ultimate - $190

You can get XP mode with Home Premium...but you need Ultimate for the languages.

Here's my suggestion, furfulls all your requirements. Just one thing...you SHOULD overclock it. These things run very cool and hit 4.5GHz without much trouble.
Capture.JPG
1.JPG

Last edited:
i do want to inquire into what 5.25 drive bays in today's computers would do? In older computers, they'd be used for floppy drives, but since that's gone bout the way of the dodo bird what use do they serve today?

Also I do like that corsair case supports 4 fans. Also I already have anti-virus --- NOD 32.

Anti-virus just came free with the combo.

Corsair cases are generally really overpriced. The CM 690 II is a very easy case to build in, but if you want more airflow, look at the NZXT Phantom or the Cooler Master HAF series. Both are bigger, however. IMO, the CM 690 II provides plenty of airflow...you have options for side and top mounted fans as well.

Knufire. They may be overpriced. But at least most of them come with dust filters! :p. Those cases you just mentioned.. Lack in that area very much so. I personally despise the HAF series of cases. The CM 690 II is one of the few Cooler Master cases I don't mind recommending.. But I'd pick the Fractal Design Arc Midi over it anyday of the week.

:sly: I may (or may not) change the graphics card, I doubt I need that much but for folding@home the stronger the GPU is the better i'd presume. I will most likely wait till near the end of summer (if not before Halloween) and also for hard drive prices to come down. I would like to eventually get a SSD for the OS (and for other things).

Attachments

• PC-BUILD.jpg
    PC-BUILD.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 27
There's a new series of CPUs (Intel Ivy Bridge) and GPUs (NVIDIA Keplar/600 series) coming out before then.

The Corsair 750W is actually better quality their their 850W, not sure about pricing.

Western Digital makes very good drives, but they're a tad overpriced compared to Seagate or Hitachi.

Same thing with Corsair cases, quality but overpriced. Not bad if you don't mind spending the money.

Best budget cooler is the Hyper212+, Hyper212 Evo, or a TRUE Spirit if you can find it cheap.

I'd REALLY recommend the 2500K. Even if you don't want to OC, you might change your mind later. It's VERY risk free, and the majority of those CPUs hit 4.5GHz with very minimal effort.

Back