• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on how to decouple D5 in 900D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snorlaxxx

Registered
I'm a happy water cooler since about 9 months or so, but there is one issue I have since the beginning, which I still can't figure out.

How to decouple my D5 Res-Pump Combo from my case.

When I first planed and installed my loop this was the only way I could think of mounting the pump, and not knowing much about water cooling as a beginner back then, I just did it that way.

The placement is perfectly fine to be honest, but since I disassembled my loop and replaced the tubing a few months back, I can hear my PC. Just a very very slight humming sound.
At first I thought it came from the fans, even though they run at under 400rpm, but after turning them down the noise was still there.

I did some moving around inside the case and came to the conclusion, that it is the pump. Moving and touching the part where it is mounted directly influenced the sound.

Now, the simplest solution I found was to use some sort of "Shoggy sandwich", which is basically a sponge that absorbs vibrations.
The problem is that I can't place my pump on it, like if it was on the bottom of my case, because I have a pump-res-combo (which I like to keep).

So, do you guys have any suggestions on how to accomplish a proper decoupling?

I attached a picture that shows how my pump is mounted.
The silver brace, which holds the pump has a rubber in between, which helps a little, but doesn't reduce the vibrations to zero.

Attachments

• res.jpg
    res.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
kneel before my amazing paint skillzz

Need some rubber blocks, like the stuff they put under (the feet of) washing machines and the like. Its also used in workshops. This is NOT the mousemat type stuff (although that might work). Can probably find it in DIY Home Depot & such.
If they dont sell it in seperate blocks to put under feet, they will most likely have a "mat". The "mat" is made from recycled car tyres and at least an inch thick.

You need to bolt your pump (the davidstar on the left) to it (using the blue arrows/bolts) , and use a seperate set of bolts (the black arrows) to bolt the whole contraption to the case (right)

Ideally, you use two layers one layer to hold the pump, while both layers are bolted to the case/wall

Washers might be needed to avoid tearing the bolt through the material.

Attachments

• rubblock.jpg
    rubblock.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 524
I think all pumps make some type of noise. Not sure if you're looking for a total silent setup as if the rig was off. I do know that the D5s are quieter than the DDCs. Not sure how much more quieter you can go but what Rollie recommended could possibly lessen the sound a bit. I think the humming is coming straight from the pump in general so I am not sure if that will do anything. My pumps (DDC) hum fairly loud but not too bothersome to me.

On another note, hope you do your 2-3 month tear downs with that color fluid. Could clog up and stain your stuff.

You need to bolt your pump (the davidstar on the left) to it (using the blue arrows/bolts) , and use a seperate set of bolts (the black arrows) to bolt the whole contraption to the case (right)

Thank you for your suggestion, I might give it a try.

Not sure if you're looking for a total silent setup as if the rig was off.

That's exactly what I'm after and what I had in the beginning. While the noise comes form the pump itself, it's clearly amplified by the case as a result of resonances. And that is what I want to eliminate. The noise from the pump itself is sooooo low, you can't really hear it unless you hold your ear to it.

On another note, hope you do your 2-3 month tear downs with that color fluid. Could clog up and stain your stuff.

Oh yes... believe me, after the last fiasco I posted here a while back I'm never using dye again. I'm running just distilled water with nothing in it right now.
The picture above is an older one, just to show how the pump is mounted. I was too lazy to take a new one :)

I was planing to flush my loop again next week or so, even though it looks very clean. Just sticking to my routine of cleaning it every few months. Better save than sorry.
Because I'm about to do that, I asked for a way to adress the decoupling, so I can do that, too.

Sounds good. Just need to re-drain and re-flush than every say 6 months and do complete tear downs annually. I hope you're using a biocide or kill coil with that distilled.

Nonetheless I see what the issue seems to be. What Rollie than recommended should help.

Yep I went through same, like RnRollie said, the key is some sort of shoggy sandwich.

The way to test if you succeed is put your finger next to where the pump is attached, if you dont have it decoupled you can feel strong vibrations, ie very palpable. Once properly decoupled cant feel any vibration at all.

I used tpe gel on block bolted to my case. The pump bolted to another flat block. And then industrial strenght velcro to hold the 2 together so that no screw goes from pump to case. The velcro is so strong, I unscrew bolts when tearing down.

But now I cant hear my D5 on setting 4 above 700 rpm fans on rad. Before decoupled it whined, unless I held it in my hand.

Back