• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCR320 Barbs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Found these posts whilst searching which greatly helped:

Barb sizes explained

MCR320 thread over at XS

Seems quite a few people use 3/8" BSP without problems, including the OP of this thread :)

I'll be ordering some plastic 3/8" BSP 1/2" barbs as a temporary solution, but I'd much rather find some 'correct' fitting barbs.

thanks for the help :)

Well, that single barb on there is a G1/4" DD Hi-Flo barb, and it went on easily. So there are definately G 1/4"

I'm currently reading quite a lot of threads on XS that are stating to not flush rads with vinegar to clean them of flux etc from the factory. Apparently boiling distilled water is a much better solution.

yea, make sure you use teflon tape as well incase you don't know.

and you might need a wrech to tighten them because they get pretty tight 3/4 of the way down.

(btw, make sure you clean the rad with 2 vineager/salt soaks. the first soak with my rad turned up with basicly clear. the second 6 hour soak turned up with a hella lot of white stuff.)

Just got the Thermochill PA120.2 they only recommend to flush the RAD with hot water only...

Just to clarify BSP and NPT will work for short lengths because the tapers and thread count as similar enough. That said, I still wouldn't since copper and brass are soft and steel is hard. You can still damage the threads and cause leaks by mixing barbs. Polypropylene plastic barbs are the only types I would mix because they will be damaged by the brass/copper which is a more desirable outcome.

BSPP barbs, especially ones made of steel, shouldn't be used on an NPT threaded radiator because, as Captain Slug pointed out, they have a straight thread and *will* damage the taper on the NPT radiator. Remember that the material is thin and soft which means that the damage itself can cause leaks. More or less you'll probably never be able to use NPT barbs without silicone sealant on a radiator thats been damaged this way. This damage can also be caused by using NPSM barbs with NPT threads (NPSM is the straight threaded version of NPT).

Also don't bother using Teflon tape on straight threads, it doesn't work since the tape works in conjunction with the taper. Thats why they come with O Rings. RTV silicone is the only way to fix a leak caused by the threads that an O Ring won't compensate for.

Back