• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching Between Win7-64 And XP-32 OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OldSchoolNinja

Registered
Wakirimas Forum Brethren,

I will be upgrading my system over the weekend and have been reading up on the compatibility issues bewteen XP programs and Windows 7. Ideally what I'd like to do is load Win 7 on my new HD and keep XP on my old drive. As I understand it this should not be an issue and I can boot Win 7 or XP just by selecting the drive to boot from.

The one unkown for me is how will this affect the hardware? I am assuming that it's backwards comptible with 32 bit but I'm not sure. I imagine there might be some issues with seetting the entire system up for 64 bit and then later ruuning a 32 bit OS on it.

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Old School Ninja :sn:

No issues at all although you may need to reformat and install the xp os because of new hardware.

Wakarimas... doesnt that mean 'understand'? I dont get it....

Anyhoo, You will need to either get that (XP) loaded in to your bootloader since its on a different drive and Im not sure W7 will figure it out, OR you can do it by just switching the boot order in the bios.

Back