• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching to DD-WRT has ruined online gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

My router sucks. I should have known this before buying it when I saw it was purple, but here we are.

It's a WRT54GS V7.0

Upgrade to DD-WRT they said.
It's better they said.

Well before my router sucked but now it's been relegated to a device that will let me do little more than surf the INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY.

Here are some more fun facts.

-Default WRT54GS 7.0 firmware: Can't be found anywhere. Thanks, Cicsco!

-http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown as per this guide I tried:

Code:
Enter the following values at 'IP Filter Settings'
Maximum Ports: 4096 (For an 8MB RAM model set it no higher than 1024)
TCP Timeout (s): between 120 to 600 (higher is safer, lower can forget connections too quickly)
UDP Timeout (s): 120
I tried 1024 max ports as well as 2000(pretty sure my purple router is has 16mB of RAM)

For TCP timeouts I tried 300 as well as 600.

I haven't tried enabling CLI and doing all of that because
1 I don't know how
2 I am not optimistic about it working.

Anything else I can configure or check out?

For the record, here are exactly how things go.

I'll open up cmd and ping www.yahoo.com -n 900
pings are under 60ms 95% of the time, and under 70ms 99% of the time. Unless they aren't. Sometimes Yahoo will just time out like 85 times in a row. I figured it's because they don't like me doing this, but even pinging google.com I'll occasionally see solid waves in the 250-750ms range. Not often, but it happens.
Then:
Open TF2 or CS:Source, one or two pings will jump to 150, then it just hangs out at 58ms all day.

Search for servers lolz no problem, 58ms all day erry day.

Want to connect? nty.
Pings immediately jump up to 3000ms and it'll just keep doing this. Occasionally it'll back down to normal, and then bounce back up again, it yo-yos a fair amount like this.

During this time web browsing is obliterated. Think streaming 1080p over 56k.

Then I bash F10 as hard as I possibly can and now thanks to trolls I must also bash the enter key as hard as possible. The internet is still crippled for about 20 more seconds, but then things go back to normal. Using my MOBILE SMARTPHONE the WI-FI is super slow on that, too; this problem isn't just affecting my PC.

obvious stuff:
Have I powered off-waited-powered on my computer
router?
modem?
Yes to all.

I'm open to suggestions, and if anyone has a V7 firmware, that'd make life a lot easier, too!

connecting to the router(not even the modem) via Cat5e completely eliminates the problem. I just have no idea where to go from here.

Last edited:
Have you tried connecting directly to your modem and seeing if you get the same results? Before condemning your router take it out of the equation and verify it's the issue and not your modem or ISP.

Yeah I snuck a dirty edit in on you. I don't want to go straight to the modem yet(lots of people awake), but I feel it's probably irrelevant given a physical link to the router eliminates the issue.

I switched the wireless channel from 6 to 1 which has stopped the problem so far. I'm sure I'll be back in an hour or so asking if there's a way to resuscitate a router I put in the washing machine out of anger.

Back