• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T line HELP please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for all or the comments. I'll try to address most of them if I can remember. As far as hose clamps, I will be using them but I need to be right on before I finalize everything. That's why I've turned to the best H2O resource I could find, and I thank you. Adding another 8" to the T is not a problem, I bought 10' of clearflex60 it was only $12, so I have extra to try out other configs.

There is a shroud on the core but it's the one from Danger Den. It's acrylic and a ***** to drill. Mine cracked but still useable. I'm thinking of picking up another shroud.

The heater core up top. I tried to put it down below but there is a nother hard drive rack that is not in the pics that goes down there. It also makes things tight with the tubing to the pump. If the core was downstairs I could probably lose a few inches in tubing but with the hd rack back in place I have to mount it sideways and things run tight.

Right now nothing is in stone.

uhhh... there's an intake on a heatercore???
where ever it goes, there's a fairly large distance between the components and HC. I think it's best where it is :)

I did some moving around. How does this look?

cdsidd-IMG_1003.JPG

cdsidd-IMG_1002.JPG

Does it matter which barb the pump feeds into the rad?

If you could set you pump on its side that would eliminate some turns. That looks better thouhgh IMO.

Also, if your trying to get the best setup for getting water from the HC to the block, its more worth it to have the setup convient and fewer angles than straight from the HC. This has been debated but the outcome (based on my opinion of who I think the experts are) is that there is not a clear advantage to having the HC directly before the block.

In other words, if its convient for you to put the rad -> pump -> block, do that. Especially on the impingement blocks, the heat from the pump is minimal and you gain some pressure from the direct connect to the pump ("pressure" might be inaccurate but this is the gist of what was debated)

Cathar (imo, an expert) I think was the one who proved that the added heat was minimal and recomended convience instead of forcing an unnatural flow design.

With the rad down front I actually use more tubing than when it's up top. When it's up top the flow is pretty clean, no kinks. What are the differences between having the rad up vs down? I would be interested to know. I'm thinking that up top is much cleaner. Knowing the trade offs would help me get this up and running.

pro's to having it up top: less tubing, looks neater IMO, can still use the front of the case as 2x80mm intakes (i assume that's what size those holes are) = better case airflow, top 120mm exaust.
con's to up top... i can't really think of any... maybe if you don't like how it looks?
oh yeah, the way the pump is feeding the rad is fine, the top one is out, side is in :)

If you use your case exhaust as your rad cooling air, your temps will be higher. I would estimate 2 or 3 degrees at least. The air from the case will be the warmest air in the room aside from right next to the heater duct.

If you use the top as in intake, you are defying the natural convection currents since heat rises.

If it were mine, I would reverse the flow and turn the pump around and reconfig the rig to run pump -> cpu -> gpu -> rad. That would eliminate some tubing and more importantly some turns.

I also like to mess with my system so I would test it every which way and find the optimum setup. I would also mod the case to take a 120 in front and put double shrouds on that core.

These are my opinions though. Its fun to play around and find what works for you.

I have a question on the lates setup. It looks like in the pic he is going pump/vga/cpu/rad. Is that what I am seeing? It looks like a WW cpu block and I thought the 2 outside barbs were intakes. Shouldn't you always go cpu/vga/etc.?

Pntgrd said:
I have a question on the lates setup. It looks like in the pic he is going pump/vga/cpu/rad. Is that what I am seeing? It looks like a WW cpu block and I thought the 2 outside barbs were intakes. Shouldn't you always go cpu/vga/etc.?

the centre is the inlet on the WW - the outer 2 are the outlets... so it's actually the exact reverse of your list, i.e. pump>rad>cpu>vga

I see, I had thought from what pictures I had seen that it was the other way, don't know why. I get mine the 28th - - Glad it's coming with instructions ;)

the convection of air currents is not going to matter in a 2 feet space, honestly. If everything else is set to exhaust it should be just as good as if it were at the bottom. Try both and tell us the difference :cool: .

Good luck, and it's nice to see you are thinking things out before bringing in the element of death.

csidd said:
I did some moving around. How does this look?

cdsidd-IMG_1003.JPG

cdsidd-IMG_1002.JPG

Does it matter which barb the pump feeds into the rad?

Yes it actually does. Viewing your pictures you did the wrong thing. The right barb is for the pump and the left barb goes to the Waterblock.

If I put things back up top, which I kinda like it there, I will put a 120 intake down in front. As far as push pull, am I going to see a significant temp difference or will it be minimal? I really appreciate all the feedback everyone has given so far. Thanks. When it is all set I will post final pics and results.

regarding the push/pull fan option you will se little difference but it is worth the few extra bucks for 2 shrouds and 2 fans :)

I say keep the rad at the bottom front, add a T-line between the rad to waterblock tubing and you should get a cleaner looking setup.

Yes it actually does. Viewing your pictures you did the wrong thing. The right barb is for the pump and the left barb goes to the Waterblock.

Can anyone esle comfirm this, that the pump should go to the right barb on the rad.

If anyone is still following me I have a question about airflow. If the rad is at the bottom the fan will exhaust air from the case out through the rad to the outside of case. There would also be a 120 up top exhausting air out of the case.

If the rad is up top there will be a 120 fan exausting air through the rad out of the case. In front there will be a 120 bringing air into the case. In both configs there will also be 2 80's exhausting out the back of the case.

Is one of these better. It appears that the difference between the rad up top or down in front would depend on what other air flow I have going on in the case. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

csidd said:
If anyone is still following me I have a question about airflow. If the rad is at the bottom the fan will exhaust air from the case out through the rad to the outside of case. There would also be a 120 up top exhausting air out of the case.

If the rad is up top there will be a 120 fan exausting air through the rad out of the case. In front there will be a 120 bringing air into the case. In both configs there will also be 2 80's exhausting out the back of the case.

Is one of these better. It appears that the difference between the rad up top or down in front would depend on what other air flow I have going on in the case. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
best would be rad at the bottom, with fan pulling air in through the rad, and a 120 up top blowing out.... that way you get the maximum temperature differential between water in the rad and the airflow over it (and hence maximum heat shed).

I love the silver color you painted the pump (and it looks like the rad is painted too...) looks alot better than the def. black and blue..

:clap:

Yeah, I had to paint the pump and rad. Just looks tight. I'm a fan of sh*t like that, some might call it anal.

The first run of this setup will be rad up top. 120 intake downstairs.

The way my case has been modded it's easy to change configs. But if things are running good it might take a bit longer for me to change everything. I'll let you know how the first run works out.

Back