• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tbird temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crewdog6969

Registered
I have always heard that the thunderbirds run hot. Is this true? My xp1800+ runs in the low 40c range. I have had my tbird on 2 diffrent motherboardswith the same cooling as my xp and it is being reported as running at 51C. I dont know how to get the temp down with out buying a bunch of stuff. It already runs with the case off. I put a 30$ antac copper heatsink and fan on it but got pretty much the same results as the generic antac I had on there. I am able to get it to OC to 1.210ghz stable but the heat goes up to 55-56C. To hot for me. Anyone have any ideas? I know this thing wants to be OCed so it can fold faster:burn:

Who said it was a perfectly good airplane?
Shut Up And Jump!
Crewdog6969 <<<skydiving term...not a gangster

amdXP 1800+ @1633 Locked MSI k7t266 pro2
512 ddr
maxtor 40gig 7200
geforce 3 ti500
networked to amd thunderbird 1.1 msi k7t turbo2
640 pc133 ram
hercules 64ddr 4500
Both folding away for team 32:burn:

Hey crewdog, got a similar experience to share. I just bought my first amd and I have the same results you've had as far as temps are concerned. I've tried 4 hsf combos the past week and they all run the same temp with the case closed. I also have ample cooling for my case and get good airflow out of the back vents. With it open it runs from 43-49C depending on usage and ambient temp. Closed, it runs from 49-55C this is with my latest and best hsf (Alpha PAL8045 w/Sunon 80mm fan!). This is supposed to be one of the best hsf combo's out there, but it doesn't cool barely any better than a $15 Coolermaster I had on my old PIII! So I can empathise with you. I would stay with an all aluminum heatsink with a really good fan. I don't think there is anything else you can really do besides watercooling to improve upon this. I haven't had problems with these temps running my system, I'm just uncomfortable with the numbers like you are. I also would add for your reference that I haven't been able to overclock it higher than 1575mhz and pass post.

Good luck whatever you decide! ;)
Asus A7V333
Athlon 1.4C - OC'ed to 1530(9x170fsb)
Alpha PAL8045 w/Sunon 50cfm fan
Samsung PC2700 512MB (2,2,2,5) 1T Auto, 4 bank
Thermaltake ram heatplates w/fan
MSI GForce4 MX440
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet
2 40G WD Caviars
TDK 24/10/32 CD-RW
Toshiba 6/32 DVD-ROM

Thanks tusken. I am going to keep looking for a solution but I like playing with my xp1800. the tbird I built for my kid and having lan parties. It OCs better then my xp1800 stability wise. I dont have to up the vcore as much when pushing up the fsb.

Your right those old t-birds will fry compaired to the xp's. Just make sure you have some good case fans to keep the cooling run through your system. Also don't be worried that your tbird is hotter it will be, lots higher then the xp. Do you have any goop on your proc? Like Artic Silver III? That stuff seems to be magic.

Last edited:
Ya I have artic silver It brought the temps down to 51C from 53C.
I think I have pretty good airflow. when I run prime95 on it my tbird only goes up to 54C after an hour+ . The temp is pretty stable. I just hoped to get it running cooler for OCing. At one point I kicked the FSB up to 120 with a moderate vcore bump. It posted and booted up win98. I did not do much testing because of the heat danger. My xp1800 setup wont come close to a 20 point bump to the fsb. It needs a volt mod to go past 1.85 the highest my mobo lets me go.

Who said it was a perfectly good airplane?
Shut Up And Jump!
Crewdog6969 <<<skydiving term...not a gangster

amdXP 1800+ @1633 Locked MSI k7t266 pro2
512 ddr maxtor 40gig 7200
geforce 3 ti500
networked to amd thunderbird 1.1 msi k7t turbo2
640 pc133 ram hercules 64ddr 4500
Both folding away for team 32

Back