• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp monitoring hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XCeleratedPC

Registered
Anyone out there recommend a good system for accurately monitoring internal temps. CPU/GPU/Hard Drive so on? Seen some add on systems that do fan control and stuff but wondering if one is better then the other. Thanks.

On the hardware side, you would pretty much be looking for a display. Other than case, CPU, and gpu temps, I wouldn't look to monitor anything else. Hard drive temps are pretty consistent - you can spot check that with a software monitor.

I'm not sure what products are out there for this. The nzxt sentry 2 comes to mind, but not sure what else is available... I don't know if anything monitors internal temps, not from a hardware probe connected to the controller.

Interested to hear input here.

I did a build like ten years ago and the cpu cooler came with a probe that you inserted between the cpu and the plate of the heatsink. Didnt know if that kind of stuff was still around or if technology has improved to the point the board monitors itself pretty close so no needed additional hardware.

CPUs and GPUs have probes built into them now, there's plenty of free software out there that can read these sensors.

I have tried a few different apps to monitor temps. Since I built my rig - my CPU temp is all over the place. 3 deg, then 9, the 21, then 17. I pulled off my cooler and CPU (thinking that maybe some thermal got on a probe or something), cleaned everything off checked for any debris, etc - same thing. Something else I should be looking for?

CPU: FX-8350, Cooler: Hyper 212

Kinda what I was wondering as well is how accurate are the built in probes. Sounds like thats what all use now so muct not be bad but in general I always feel like a piece of hardware designed to do one single thing is better then something designed to do many. Probably not always true....

Kinda what I was wondering as well is how accurate are the built in probes. Sounds like thats what all use now so muct not be bad but in general I always feel like a piece of hardware designed to do one single thing is better then something designed to do many. Probably not always true....

How are you going to get an aftermarket thermal probe close enough to your CPU core to accurately measure it's temp? ;)

I'll throw Open Hardware Monitor onto the pile too. I like it because it gives me all temps (CPU, GPU, HDD, NB), load, fans speed, a graphs of temps.

Back