• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the depressing state of multiplayer gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Krowa02 is so right that it isnt even funny. We have had this discussion sooooo many times and I agree with whoever points out that we as gamers are just bored with the same types of game genres that we have a hard time jumping into a new a new game of the same genre. I know that for me, when I tried playing Dungeon Siege for the first time I quit and didnt go back to it for a couple of months and went back to playing D2, then my wife tried Dungeon Siege and liked it so I played it along with her and then loved it once I got the hang of it. Point being, I already knew how to play D2 so I hated learning a new game of the same type. We as gamers are just getting harder and harder to please.

Dude! I had the exact same experience with the exact same games! I used to play Diablo II religiously every time I had a change eg 6 hours a day :D (public high school woo woo!)

Anyways, my sister dusted off my old copy of Dungeon Siege, and she was getting really good, probably too good. So being the older brother who always had to be superior :), I started playing online with her, and we had a blast.

I guess that I was so devout to Diablo that I didn't want to learn about other attributes, because I had become so good at that game. I didn't want to learn new controls, or new plots.

It's tradition that makes us drag our knuckles.

Eg: I bought WC3 FT and wanted to play online because I loved Blizzard at that point, got my *** handed to me, and I never touched it again. I didn't even try and get better, I just played diablo more.

Little list I came up with.

Good multiplayer games:

Battlefield Vietnam
Battlefield 1942
Joint Operations
Call Of Duty
Probably a few more I can't think of

Soon to be good multiplayer games:

Guildwars :drool:
Maybe Half Life 2?
Maybe Doom 3?
Maybe STALKER?

Overrated mutliplayer games:

Counter Strike "No Comment"
Halo "Such a wonderful Port LOL"
UT2004 "Ummmmm UT2003?"
Starcraft "Ok...."
Age Of Empires "If a 4+ hour match is fun to you"
Warcraft 3 "Warcraft 2 great, this....Trash"
Diablo 2 "Die already, Bring out Diablo 3 or not......"

Diablo 3 isn't coming out... They dropped the project at 1.10, that's why the patch was so final. It was the endall, and cureall to all hacks.

i think that the future of online gaming is at its prime. there will be many great games coming out. XBOX 2 and PS3 will be out in a couple of years.

i think they should just stop coming out with games for a year. Then everything would seem new again. But I predict within a few years some genres will die out like platformers and adventure games to a certain degree. People today arent satisfied with beating something and then doing it over and over for a higher score like in the mario days. People want a new map and a new exprience each time they play which MMORPGs and FPS can somewhat give them. But in the future of single player games id look for completely random map generation and dozens of different stories or diversions form the story, not just different endings like we have now.

Krowa 02 said:
I have said this about a million times guys, its no the state of the games comming out, the games are fine, its us. We are getting bored of the same old thing, were burnt out, the games are fine.

You need a new genre, remember the first time you played whatever game you love, it was a shock to your brain. What happens if you play a new game thats almost like the original one, you are not as thrilled. It sucks but thats just how it works with the brain :(.

agreed.

I, as you guys, am going through the same "dilema". I remember feeling the initial thrill of playing all of those classic games we remember. At some time or another, I played Starcraft, Diablo, Diablo 2, Dark Age of Camelot, Counter-Strike, Sim City, The Sims, and other games, religiously. I recall the thrill I got from endless hours of playing Starcraft or Diablo. Counter-strike was easily the most addicting FPS I've ever played. It's not often that an FPS succeeds at being as addictive and hard-to-quit as crack, but CS did not fall short. Speaking of crack, Dark Age of Camelot gave me over a month (that is, 720+ hours) of gametime.

Since then, a lot of great games have been released. To me, the most notable was Lineage 2. I was as excited as hell for this game to be released; I played closed and open beta. While this game did provide a surprising spur of addiction, it quickly faded. This is important because I thought that Lineage 2 absolutely blew away Dark Age of Camelot. The game kicks ***, but I got bored of it quickly, simply because the gameplay experience of all MMORPGs are so similar.

UT2k4 is pretty much the only other "next gen" game I have purchased. It's fun. The levels are exciting and the gameplay is intense. I often get blood pumping when I'm racing to get the first place title. But I can only handle playing this game for no more than an hour at a time. And to think that CS could easily lure me in for 5+ hours at a time.

So I guess I do have fun with a lot of these new games, I just can't get excited about them like I did with the classics.

Yeah, multiplayer gaming seems to be heading downhill these days. With games that have lost their "flare", and the fanbase that is starting to get a collective IQ of room temperature, and speaks like their capslock key has gum wedged under it.

NO NUB!!! I PWN J000! YOUR LIEING!

Battle.net has this the worst, but I still see it a lot in other games.

Meh....that's what we get

I really don't like the charging games per month. I mean it's a great way to get revenue, but it's also a way to lose fans. E G Earth and beyond.

Call of Duty is still good for online. Brothers in arms looks good to me. That's coming out this fall sometime. It looks a lot like call of duty with better graphics and better physics.

StreetPharmacy said:
Battle.net has this the worst, but I still see it a lot in other games.

From what I've seen, the Battle.net is about the worst community for online gaming I've ever come across. Almost as bad as the CS community for lameness, cheats and people who talk like they're 13 years old and have A.D.D.

Remember that quote from Star Wars, when they go to Mos Eisley, and Obi Wan says something like 'There is no more wretched hive of scum and villany'? Just apply that to the battle.net.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, the Battle.net is about the worst community for online gaming I've ever come across. Almost as bad as the CS community for lameness, cheats and people who talk like they're 13 years old and have A.D.D.

So true Oni, the reason that is the case is because the majority of mature advanced players stop playing after about a year or so. Last time I played Diablo 2 it was such a joke "l33t Diablo 2 haXor I be Ahhhhhhhhhhhh DIE KILL WHAAAAAAAAAA" Lol. A.D.D maybe so....

it does seem like they cancel all the good games though ie

battletech 3025 (kindof like mech warrior 4 but completely online and amazing)

but then microsoft bought the rights and didn't want to compete with themselves and canceled it even though it was already in an amazing beta

i think counter strike is awesome. i also like the 1337 talk. its fun games and no you can play on servers that are really good at kicking hackers and detecting cheats. i been playing cs for 3 years now or when the first beta came out so i just grown to like it alot now.

Im with you guys.

The most interesting game Ive played (recently) is a MMORPG called City of Heroes. Very fun, but sometimes, it can get boring.

I play EQ on almost a daily basis, and yes, sometimes it is boring (and frustrating, because of idiots you get grouped with sometimes), but sometimes, it can be incredibly fun.

I used to play PS on an almost daily basis, but SOE completely totally and utterly F***ed that game up. I will probably never play it again, as I dont feel like wasting my precious cash on something so F***ING screwy

I liked UT2k4, and would probably still play if the powers that be had decided NOT TO release WinXP only content... that ****ed me off so much that I quit playing, totally.

I dont even play CS. I think it is overrated.

CS sucks!!!!!!
yes I the guy who plays cs regulary and loves it says it sucks. cause the community sucks.
the only way I can play and have fun is on my brother clan server or if I play Friendly wars with them (even though I am not in the clan).
the community is full of noobs and lamers. When I play public I am a cheater 90% of the time. yeah then I get blocked in door ways 80% of the time or when I am doing some nice strafing in and out of corners.
then there is idiots throwning flash bangs in your face 50% of the time cause I take 2 seconds to buy my items and then take 20 seconds and by the time I am rushing somehwere they throw their granades everywhere.... :temper:

yes cs is indeed a crap game if you do not play it with people you know or on a decent server with admins on it. Where I play blockes flashers or total noobs get kicked. flamers, trouble makers get banned very quickly. funny though the server is still always full.

Last edited:
Oni said:
Remember that quote from Star Wars, when they go to Mos Eisley, and Han says something like 'There is no more wretched hive of scum and villany'? Just apply that to the battle.net.

d00d!! obi wan said that!..

and Knights of the old republic 2!!! is coming out soon damnit!!!!!!!!!!! :attn:

Back