• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Doors i7 based system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Doors

Vesuvius Senior Ocer
First of all, is a pleasure for me to be another time here with all of you guys :) since AMD Barton time I was not updating my system, but Finally, today, after a very loooong wait, I make my choice, and ordered the New system, and as always I would like to get your advice/opinions about, but let's start listing the new parts:

Intel I7-920
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4
OCZ PC3-12800 Gold XTC low voltage (8-8-8-24)
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 Cpu Cooler
Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB

all will fit in a Mountain Mods U2-UFO case with some parts just in use like:

Psu Corsair HX620W
Maxtor Sata2 500Gb & 320Gb
WD Pata 160Gb & 80Gb (x Linux)
LiteOn Dual Layer Dvd burner 20x
WiFi Card Netgear 802.11G

I plan soon to get another Seagate 500Gb for Raid configuration, and use the 320Gb for Backup purpose only.

Thanks in advance for your support,
Adriano :thup:

I must admit, was really tempted about the new Phenom II, but I got the i7 due to the new DDR3 based platform and to some comparative test got on the net (mainly Anand and Tom's).

What you think, I will be pleased about, and it seems a well balanced system to get a good OC results for every day use?

About Ram I got 3Gb kit, I was considering 6Gb, but could come in future considering I will not go on the Vista side, and will continue to use XP and Ubuntu..

Congratulations!

Now, on the Seagate note. Did you already order your HDDs? I was going to say that Seagate drives are lousy performances, they are loud, and they fail often. You'd be better off to go with WD.

Everything else looks great though! Those cases are sweeeeet!!

No, not yet ordered the HD, thanks, I will seriously consider the WD, even if in my personal experience never had an issue with Maxtor/Seagate, and for noise, well, with this case, is not a real issue :p but I agree, are not silent at all!

Yuppy got all parts today!!!
I plan to assemble the system on friday after a data backup and a deep clean of the case, was really needed, my bad :p if I can, will post some pics tomorrow ;)

Bye

Sorry for the delay, but case cleaning was really a pain due to Ufo size & fans installed, anyway, here a Pic of the parts got, and just installed..

Attachments

• i7 parts.jpg
    i7 parts.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 728
Man wish I could have a case that size :)

As you where mentioning the HDD senerio with raiding. Recommend getting 2 of the exact same drives. Mixing drives in raid just seems like a bad idea, almost like mixing ram up but well more critical.

Thanks for the advice, Matrix Raid is on my way :)

On the OC side, well, still under test, on the Ram side got 210Mhz 1.65v 9-9-9-24-1T, using 215 & 214Mhz system won't boot at all with 12x Multip 1.4 vCore/1.35 Vtt/1.96 PLL/1.25 IOH, so best result stable is 19x210 so far, temperatures seems really good, idle 25-27 degree C, and under stress after 20 minutes of Prime95 never above 40C, any suggestement to go higher? I forgot something?

Attachments

• 3990_210x19.JPG
    3990_210x19.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 710
First off you might want to consider backing down the PLL. 1.96 is quiet high, consider something under 1.9V at least according to Intel Spec, default is 1.8V.

Second try using LinX to stress the CPU, you'll see a temperature rise with that over what Prime95 gives out.

Third use CoreTemp or RealTemp for your temperatures on the CPU, that utility is probably reading the socket temperature, not the actual die sensors, which in my case can be 20 to 30C off in times. With air under load there is no way you'll be under 70C at those clocks unless your outside or its really cold in your place.

Fourth do you really need that much Vcore to get to that speed? I know some get lucky but im getting 3.66 @ 1.31V CPU-z (1.2625 Bios).

My bad, idle temps are around 40 C, and dropped Multip due to instable re****s, now checking 18x210..

Attachments

• Temp 3.8Ghz_18x210.JPG
    Temp 3.8Ghz_18x210.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 709
Thanks deathman20, lowered voltages as suggested without any issue, and temperatures are in the range 40-67 C using LinX @1.35v (Bios) 1.328v (Cpu-Z) :clap: now I'm trying to figure out why RAM won't go above 210Mhz with 1.65v, but I was able to get better timings (8-8-8-24-1T) now, what do you think it worth to rise more the vDimm or is unsafe?

That's strange.. linX stable only at 210x12, any higher multi used system freeze in less than 1 min! Tried different vCore up to 1.4v, Cpu PLL 1.880v, IOH 1.25v, more using QPI/VTT at 1.2v instead of stock won't Post. No effect using Unicore speed around 3200 instead 3780 as in Auto mode... is it possible this i7 like a lower Bclk and higher multi?

Not sure I'd pump more voltages into the ram, just take it out of the equation and run it at a lower speed til you get things settled down with the setup.

As for the higher Bclk, getting above 200 can be challenging from what I've heard, 210 is getting close to the top and 215-220 on some lucky ones but where talking about extreme cooling since they are going for higher speeds. I think your better off leaving the multi around 19-20x and working with setting up a speed from there, then you can work on the memory, if anything tighten the timings after you have it all squared away.

Anything higher than [email protected] (1.328v in Cpu-Z) freeze during LinX stress tests, no luck with more vCore or 20x multi. Going to test this config with lower vCore, but it seems a good balanced OC..

Attachments

• 3876_204x19.JPG
    3876_204x19.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 667
Back