• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**The Evolution of the Rig**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(Clanger)(DOA)

WT Uberclox0r
My time here at OCF has been awesome, I couldn’t have learned soo much anywhere else. I have compiled a rig timeline for me at OCF. All of this has happend in under a year.:santa:
I started with a Dell Dimension 4700:bang head
Specs:
530 P4 775
1Gb DDR-533
Radeon X300
160gb Maxtor

Then all the “cool” ppl at OCF inspired me to make my computer “mine”.
My dell morphed into this
IMG_0112.jpg
My dell was transplanted into a cheapo case with a better HSF and stuff. (it was ugly)
I still wanted faster and an OC ability. So I was dumb and did no research and bought a ABIT Ni8-SLi, and 2 6600 256mb vid cards. The Ni8-SLi only allowed for a 235mhz oc…. This just gave me a taste of OC’ing,
IMG_0129.jpg
I wanted more.
So I saved some pennys and got a real motherboard (asus P5WD2-E) and an 805D and some Samsung DDR-667.

Ditched the cheap case and got a bigger cheap case. Then felt a urge to try water-cooling… All of my attempts at buying good overclocking hardware before were thwarted resulted in poor choices due to lack of research. This was not goin to happen again. I read about watercooling for around 5 days.
Then purchased:
$45 2x d-tek WW’s (I knew they were a good design and I needed to mod the bracket)
$20 dual 5 ¼ bay res
$55 laing d4
$25 pro 120 rad + sanyo denki (later upgraded to BIXII and two 120CFM Silverstones)
$5 cheapo PVC tubing…

And my first WC system was born.

IMG_0126.jpg
IMG_0120-1.jpg

CORE 2 DUO
IMG_0342.jpg
I bought a e6400 for $200 that didn’t clock worth its life… I also bought a Xeon 3040 which is my current CPU and a new P5B-Dlx as well as the GX2 i had first RMA'ed:rolleyes: The 8800GTS is the current weapon of choice.
IMG_0177.jpg
IMG_0273.jpg

My recent upgrades consist of
2x1gb Crucial Balistix DDR-1000
1 Mushkin 700w PSU
Also got a thermaltake Armor.

This new case PSU and RAM will be a almost new build for me and i want to make it look nice and haul A$$. Pics to come as soo as parts get here.
PICs soon too come.

Dell:
530 P4 775
1Gb DDR-533
Radeon X300
160gb Maxtor

to:
Xeon 3040
P5B-Deluxe
2x1gb Crucial Balistix DDR-1000
Nvidia 8800GTS
1 Mushkin 700w PSU
Also got a thermaltake Armor.
Watercooled

That's quite a ride in only 7 months! Not bad :)

What did you do with the old hardware? Definitely a good upgrade and you learned the hard way to do your research in depth first...I found out the same way...only spaced out over 2 years instead of 7 months :p
One thing though that reading everything in the world can't give you is experience which you got a lot of I'm sure of during your upgrades and builds.
Also what clocks did you get on your 805?
Good work and you might want to slow down on teh upgrades from here out since your gonna spend exorbitant amounts of cash to stay incredibly up to date!

Cool thread.

I started getting into building my own PCs about two years ago. I built my first PC for £30 just as an experiment. My timeline goes;

P2 400Mhz / OEM 'Gateway' mobo / GF2 32Mb - The first PC I built - played Half Life and StarCraft, on a 13" screen with 800x600 max res :rolleyes:

Athlon TBird 1333Mhz / MSI K7T266 / 9500 Pro - Minor upgrade, played HL2, CoD and CSS at 20fps and got me hooked to this day. Started OCing on this rig.

2500XP Barton / MSI K7N2 Delta2 / 6800 - Finally started playing games at a reasonable fps - played Oblvion at ~30fps medium details :)

3700 A64 / ASRock Dual SATA2 / 6800 - My current rig, plays games nicely and I'm still hooked on CSS. I only upgraded to this a few days ago, and hope for it to last me at least a year with a DX10 graphics upgrade in the near future, and an upgrade to 2GB :)

I dont upgrade often as I like to make my hardware last, I'm a student and so dont have the funds for a new top of the line rig, got other things to spend it on :beer:

Clockwork_Apple said:
Cool thread.

I started getting into building my own PCs about two years ago. I built my first PC for £30 just as an experiment. My timeline goes;

P2 400Mhz / OEM 'Gateway' mobo / GF2 32Mb - The first PC I built - played Half Life and StarCraft, on a 13" screen with 800x600 max res :rolleyes:

Athlon TBird 1333Mhz / MSI K7T266 / 9500 Pro - Minor upgrade, played HL2, CoD and CSS at 20fps and got me hooked to this day. Started OCing on this rig.

2500XP Barton / MSI K7N2 Delta2 / 6800 - Finally started playing games at a reasonable fps - played Oblvion at ~30fps medium details :)

3700 A64 / ASRock Dual SATA2 / 6800 - My current rig, plays games nicely and I'm still hooked on CSS. I only upgraded to this a few days ago, and hope for it to last me at least a year with a DX10 graphics upgrade in the near future, and an upgrade to 2GB :)

I dont upgrade often as I like to make my hardware last, I'm a student and so dont have the funds for a new top of the line rig, got other things to spend it on :beer:

these are the first of my extreme systems, My first build was somthing like a socket 7 mobo i think a PC chips board and a 4mb S3 vid card and a AMD 133mhz chip. a 2gb hard drive and 32mb pc-133 !!!:attn:

Cool that you had a camera to document your journey, I never had enough cash to get one until recently. All I have is old components here and there to refresh my memory.

That full tower case you have, I also bought the same one when I started water cooling. Learned a lot through modding that case and making revisions and redesigns to the water cooling system in it. Eventually I used what I learned and transfered the setup to the midtower version of that same case that I already had previously.

I still have that full tower case too. It has lots of holes from the old W/C setup in it. It houses my PIII 733 workhorse system now. The case was money well spent though because it let me have something to mod freely.

Femto's Evolution of Systems

My First Computer...

An eMachines ;)

I didn't build it, all I wanted for it to do was to play Star Wars Galaxies. Back then the game was actually good. Then I learned that the GeForce MX200 was a terrible card. I needed some real AGP 8X bandwidth to actually play SWG. My padre comes home with a 9100 afternoon and I could play the game :) It still lagged, but was still very much playable. At this point the system consisted of a Pentium 4 1.5GHz 'Willamette' Processor, 384mb of PC133, and a Radeon 9100.

I still didn't feel my gameplay experience was that great, so I googled "Best Video Card" (Remember, back then I didn't know JACK about computers) and guess where that took me. "OMGZ 9800XT!!!1!! HAWT!!!1!" Ever since then I was dreaming about that video card and how amazing SWG would look. I didn't know RAM really affected anything, either, until my Dad sort of explained these basics to me.

For a while, I was happily playing SWG, but then I came up with the great idea of getting my own computer :) At first, the parentals were opposed to the idea, but I eventually got through to them. My life saving of $365 were spent on...

An AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512mb of Mushkin DDR400, a glorious Radeon 9600, a Shuttle AN35N Ultra Motherboard, and a 300W Sparkle Power Supply. My dad managed to supply me with an 18GB 5400RPM ATA100 Hard Drive, a 15" CRT Monitor, and a copy of Windows 2000 Pro.

Christmas netted me: Another 512mb of Mushkin DDR400, a Samsung 80GB ATA Hard Drive and a free 17" Dell CRT. Santa FTW!

Months passed and I was content with my system until I stumbled across the term "Overclocking". My Athlon XP soon ran at a comfortable 2.1GHz and my Radeon was pushed to its limit.

I had this rig for about 2 years before I upgraded to...

An ASRock 939 Dual Sata II, Athlon 64 3000+, X1800GTO, and an FSP AX450PN PSU. This with my 1GB of Mushkin enabled me to play Oblivion quite well :)

Then over the months I collected all of the other stuff in my signature.

My 939 system will be finalized this weekend...the final specifications...

AMD Opteron 165 + Scythe Ninja Rev.01 + Panaflo M1
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D Motherboard
OCZ GameXStream Power Supply
(1) 250GB WD SATAII, (2) Seagate 7200.10 80GB + RAID 0
NEC 3550A DVD Burner
Lian-Li PC7B Plus II Case
2GB G.Skill Extreme Series

That's about it. Thanks for reading my life story :D

I have a simular store. When I first came to OCF I on some crapy store bought comuter looking to build my own.

I did a liile research, it was right when 939 first came out. I bought an Abits AV8(I think) a 9600xt and a 256mb ram kit(yes you read it right).

From there I got my first taste of overclocking. I bought from there I bought a 2 gig ram kit.

Then a Asrock 939 dual sata2, from there I got to taste real overclocking.

Then I moved into a new case and got a X2 3800+. The video card overclocked like mad and I was hooked. I bought a new vga cooler and found a small fan in an old computer for the chipset.

And then I bought a X800GTO² (open box). This is where I got hooked. The card was flashed to unlock extra pipelines and then pushed to 651/634(from 540/540) with no mods and a stock cooler. Then the card died. I was heart broken because I wanted to do more with it.

I moved on to the x1800xl flashed it to a xt and over clocked it a little. i am a little gunshy now with video card overclocking so I moved on to me cpu.

I got my cpu up to 274x10 (at the time the highest the motherboard would allow). It was stadle but my rams speed had to be lowered to run well.

Now I have moved on to case mods. I want to get into phasechange cooling but haven't had the time to do all the reading. Someday

Well, my rig started out as:
A64 3000+ Venice
Asus A8N-E
Sapphire x800gt
WD 80GB

And as of today

Opteron 170
Asus A8n-E
MSI 7900GTX
WD 250+80GB

Took one year to evolve.

dan