• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Headphone FAQ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello Friends,
My exams are done....getting bored sitting at home so thought of fixing my headphones....really not able to rectify what has gone wrong with them.Till last semester they were working properly...but since last month one of its hearing head has stopped working.....a very light sound can be heard form that hearing head and at times no sound is heard.I don't want to dump them,they are very special to me.So,folks if you have any suggestion regarding my problem just let me know.

What type of headphone is it? YOu may want to contact the manufacturer and seek a replacement driver for it. Where abouts do you live?

To the guys upgrading their soundcards... try to look into pure DAC's instead
cheaper, smaller, flexible, more often than not, better/cleaner/clearer SQ

anyone suggest a pair for under 30. i dont want in ear. preferably something that isolates sound and is closed style headphones. if there is something really worth wild i might go up to 50. but i really would like to stay under 30. I was thinking of the hd-202 II by Sennheiser . im i have a good history with a pair of hd-555's but i cant stand bringing them to places and having everyone listen to what i am listening to.. plus if i am in a noisey room i would like to put on my music and be able to do my homework with out distractions.

anyone suggest a pair for under 30. i dont want in ear. preferably something that isolates sound and is closed style headphones. if there is something really worth wild i might go up to 50. but i really would like to stay under 30. I was thinking of the hd-202 II by Sennheiser . im i have a good history with a pair of hd-555's but i cant stand bringing them to places and having everyone listen to what i am listening to.. plus if i am in a noisey room i would like to put on my music and be able to do my homework with out distractions.
The HD-201 is a great pair of headphones. The 202's, from what I hear, aren't nearly as good and are probably less comfortable.

What about the KRK KNS 6400 or even the KNS 8400. They got a great price and the sound quality is top. I am really happy with mine.
You should include them as well in this almost perfect thread.

I know the original list is pretty high end, but im interested if anyone has expreince with NoiseHush, im eyeing there Nx26 stereo headset. Im under the assumption, just based off price that they are s*%t compared to the companies in the list and this is exactly why im asking abooot them here....

I recently wrecked my headset (Pair of Tritons) and was thinking of getting a pair of Logitech G930s? Does anyone here have any experience with them?

Anything generally marketed as a gaming headset probably doesn't have great audio quality.

Here's a good guide of good headphones suitable for gaming: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...guide-updated-8-30-2012-revised-he-400-review
this

I recently wrecked my headset (Pair of Tritons) and was thinking of getting a pair of Logitech G930s? Does anyone here have any experience with them?

Tritons makes cheap crap
don't even bother with them, look into the ath-ad700's

They replaced my old JVC headphones and lasted long enough.

I'd really like them to be headsets, keep the wires to a minimum and I don't have to worry about a mic for my cats to play with when not home. Price range would be 200, maybe 225 at most. The G930s fit nicely.

OP, I would include the excellent ODAC and Objective² headphone amplifier in the recommendations. They're very close or on par with the performance of Benchmark DAC1 Pre, which is one of the best commercial solutions available (objectively that is, anecdotal and unquantifiable opinions shouldn't have a part in recommendations to people whose opinions you cannot possibly perfectly replicate/relate to since you have a different pair of ears and preferences).

I would also urge anyone interested in scientifical data on headphones to read HeadphoneInfo.com. They've also vouched to be neutral and objective, unlike many other sites and forums. For more graphs, Headphone.com's Build a Graph has quite a lot.

While frequency graphs don't give a perfect idea how do different headphones suit your amplifier's output impedance, power output and how they fit your head/usage scenarios/leakage requirements, they are a powerful asset especially when correlated with your heard perception. For instance, I never liked the Bose Quietcomfort 3 and it has a laughable graph in HeadphoneInfo. I didn't want to like the Sennheiser HD598 because I'm sort of a non-conformist and wouldn't want to recommend a mainstream brand, but it sounded so damn good and natural, and has one of the flattest graphs around. These were my subjective opinions before I saw the plots, and they just further confirmed them. Buying should always be IMO based on both listening and possible objective data to back subjective experiences up, otherwise you're shooting in the dark, and audio bullets are expensive.

Also, the recommendation for the Dynahi may be a bit outdated. It looks like Ti Kan's B22 amp measures better (especially for output impedance) and is probably a superior choice.

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus seems like an excellent purchase, very low noise floor, miniscule distortion and absolutely flawless jitter. It's a much more expensive purchase than the ODAC, but also features vastly better connectivity and balanced outputs. It's headphone amplifier has been said to be less perfect, the output impedance of 55 ohms might render it difficult to pair with low-impedance IEM and the power might not be enough for super high impedance headphones either. Other than the price and headphone out, it seems like an excellent buy and I'm considering it myself!

Here's the measurements:
http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm#meas

Proud owner of a pair of BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 80 checking in!

I originally owned a pair of G930's which I thought were awesome for the $99 I got them for. When I upgraded to the DT770 I didn't think too much of them until I tried going back to my G930. I currently only use the G930 for it's mic, I wear it around my neck like many LoL players do, and use the DT770 for Gaming and Music.

DT770 Pro 80

Pro:
Good Sound (Nice Highs and Lows, Mids are ok)
Super Comfortable
Durable (4mm thick coard, about 10 ft long)

Cons:
Sound ok using a music player, sounds better when driven by an amp
Metal frame, clamps somewhat tight around my big head.

Back