• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The most extreme cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Friend of mine uses liquied Heliium to cool his lasers. However the compressor is huge and makes a hell of a noice. I woudl just go with a custom Phae Change rig.

L337 M33P said:
Liquid helium is also like 50x more expensive than liquid N2. Liquid nitrogen is about 15p/litre in the UK.

You can purchase helium by the bottle and that's cheap as ****. However, the means to liquify it is costly no matter what direction you look at it. And if you had the means to cool the helium to such great means... why not use a chemical compound (liquid) that goes below helium?

-Frank

Heh, for all the quest for lower temps, as far as overclocking goes there is a limit to what is practical. My guess is anything below -80 would make basically no difference, and probably become counter productive.

Certainly liquid helium cooling a PC chip would be a failure. Yes it would superconduct, yes the timing rails would get out of sync, and yes, it would never even turn on.

Prometia Mach II gets to -50, and that's out shortly at what, $900?

I would suggest you look at a mach2, and changing out the R134a to R404a or something more extreme.
it's not a small project, but a very very good one.

You could build a LN2 cascade system with that kind of money most defenitely... If u got that kind of money there are a lot of possibilities.

You will need to make an insulated box for the mother board and video card and land etc. The hdd CD-ROM pus and all the author stuff will have to be out side the box. The CPU and GPU will need to be direct dye phase Chang these too loops will need to be cascade system. There will need to have a second loop in the box for the ram and north bridge rest of the motherboard. The second loop will have to run first to get all condensation out and keep it out you will need to make a heater to defrost this loop from time to time.

Severian said:
Heh, for all the quest for lower temps, as far as overclocking goes there is a limit to what is practical. My guess is anything below -80 would make basically no difference, and probably become counter productive.

Certainly liquid helium cooling a PC chip would be a failure. Yes it would superconduct, yes the timing rails would get out of sync, and yes, it would never even turn on.

Prometia Mach II gets to -50, and that's out shortly at what, $900?

-45 to 50 head temp at about 1.5" from the core (where the prommie temp probe is located). Actual Cpu temps arent close to that. The only guys who get -50 are DIY guys with cascading systems.

Fushyuguru said:

-45 to 50 head temp at about 1.5" from the core (where the prommie temp probe is located). Actual Cpu temps arent close to that. The only guys who get -50 are DIY guys with cascading systems.
the best temps are still got with liquid nitrigen thats about -200 c

interesting read... although sicne money-is-no-object none of you have commented about the best solution...

SPACE - ambient temperature is only ~2.7k from Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation...

so take your comp away from the sun to about jupiter... (intensity of light becomes very very low beyond jupiter) and there you go! one COLD pc!

edit/ sp.

Lol space is a very very bad cooling solution. It is an almost PERFECT insulator so out goes conduction and convection as cooling soluitions. Only radiation which does not output much therefore you are indeep animal dung when trying to cool stuff in space. It is infact surprisingly hard to do so no Space is not a good idae

i never said the comp would be floating no... but rather in a 'hub' which would have an atmosphere... anyway the ambient temp is so low that convection wouldnt matter, conduction would still work (between the cpu and heatsink at least) but wouldnt dissipate beyond that.

But as i said... cooling wouldnt be necessary - and i know this for a fact...

you telling me they dont have 'computers' of sorts in space? well ur wrong they have loads of electrical devices on EVERY satellite, shuttle etc. and further still they dont COOL them... no they WARM them using thermal blankets and the like.... cooling is not the problem... but rather its TOOOOOOO cold

ok with i know this is an old thread but with that much money just buy a 3 ghz cpu and overclock it. and we know for sure that cpu would be able to hande the hertz and you'lll only need a fan

there are closed loop LN2 systems.
I even hear about a guy in australia that has one cause he's rich.
just go on google and read for a few hours about LN2, you will be amazed what is out there available for the medical indsutry and LN2.

LN2 is just pulled from the air, so you buy a machine that can make it, and you can use it all the time, but then again it's insane, and the stuff needed to contain it safely is roughly the size of your car and costs 20 times more.
like this...

http://www.chart-ind.com/p_liquidnitrogen.html

thats just something I found here in a few minutes.

if you want truely hardcore cooling, without the need for incredibly expensive equipment, you can look up Immersion Chillers, from Neslabs or similar places.
some of the newer ones average -90C thats like day to day dry ice cooling and then some.

but the problem with adapting medical and crygenic tools to overclocking, is they don't tend to be designed to maintain them temps under heatloads.

but at -90C, I can't imagin you having much to worry about ;)

hey, look what i found on vr-zone.com

XP2166@3614.jpg

and thats some dude with no girlfriend with lots of spare time and ln2...

personally, i'd never give up my girlfriend for that ****,... maybe not even my ex-girlfriend for that.....

dunno,....

fafnir said:
hey, look what i found on vr-zone.com...

and thats some dude with no girlfriend with lots of spare time and ln2...

personally, i'd never give up my girlfriend for that ****,... maybe not even my ex-girlfriend for that.....

dunno,....

I never knew that programs took into account how many friends you have or time you spend with ladies when determining your PR or benchmark score.

Give the guy a break, hes most likely a stiff, and doesnt get out much. You and I arent much better though. We talk about hardware with each other alot, and Ive never met any of you. Thats kind of sad in its own right.

I say that Overclock kicks. I'm glad its not my wallet fueling that fire, but damn. Thats why were here right? To socialize in a way, overclock, mod and aspire. Not say, "Yeah thats good and all. But are you good with the ladies?" and "Why arent you out doing something other than what this Forum stands for?"

EDIT: Not trying to point any fingers Fafnir, just using your quote to make a statement in general, cuz I see this alot.

-End Rant-

well, maybe... its just that its one hell-of-an act balencing say work, ur hobbies, social time, and say family time (if you got one)...

so say that if ur work takes up like about 100 hours per week, i kinda doubt you have much time left for family and so on....

what i'm trying to say and get everyone to do is not only to overclock more, but also to get out more.... so say, like spend more time with family or something....

i'm also not saying that everyone here has problems with this or something... and actually i think most people here are fine... but... but,... if you're way into something and forgot about everything else and everyone else, even all the annoying people that you don't want caring about you caring about you... then proally its gonna come back and haunt you later and in the end, not gonna help with that overclock of your's....

so.... i mean if say you got fired from ur job or something by spending too much time overclocking... then obviously, u're not gonna have cash for that better waterblock from cathar right?

so basically, even if with five more minutes you could work out just exactly how much voltage you could jack onto that centrino you plopped on a canterwood and be proud of the fastest intel benches with only a 2.3ghz clock speed, if its ur girl's b-day, drop the thing, buy her flowers, and maybe some chocolate, and then maybe either dinner and movies and some custom titanium jewlry you got from a custom joint on ebay, and then maybe also a cute skirt (one that she *thinks* is cute)... and THEN work on the nice mirror-shine-o-matic waterblock Cathar sent you..... cause if ur girl ends up leaveing you,... i'm sure its gonna do great for ur moods later when you got nothing but spare time to stare at the cascade block thats getting ur centrino like 26 celcius off a eheim 1048.....

i'm sure you know what i'm trying to get at....

edit: oh yeah, don't forget working out too,... thats important too...

Last edited:
Back