• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The rise and fall of AMD: How an underdog stuck it to Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's a good read.
Looking forward to part2 now.

Thanks for the link.

I think I've seen this some place before LOL QUOTE: But Intel continued to challenge AMD with chips like the Pentium III, and it soon swept the world with its slick “Intel Inside” marketing campaign.

I would like to see part 2 also.

Quote :

"Beginning with Intel’s 80386 in 1985, Intel stopped giving AMD access to its designs. AMD had to forge its own way, soon producing 386 and later 486 CPUs that were essentially reverse-engineered versions of Intel’s parts."

My collection of the reminiscences of the 1st battle, AMD had the upperhand at 40 Mhz while Intel still at 33 Mhz, a "whopping" 7 Mhz difference. :D

386 AMD vs Intel.jpg

Last edited:
Part 2 is pretty good also.

These are stressful times for AMD and all are wondering about its future. So much so that the company has been deemed "uninvestable" by Wall Street. At the same time, it feels like the company actually has good management and that it is much smarter with its finances, doing the best they can with the so very little maneuvering space they have left.

The ATi acquisition now seems a very good move, especially with the release of "Trinity" parts. We will have to see what comes of their server strategy and the acquisition of SeaMicro, because this could be a profitable market and AMD badly needs it.

AMD has a lot of potentially nice products coming to market very soon, including game consoles design wins. Hopefully it will be a good year for AMD.

Thanks for linking part 2. End was as good as the beginning. I did think it was rather inconclusive, and due to that, was probably a little overly optimistic towards the end about AMD's future. However, I guess AMD always finds a way to continue limping along despite all the misteps, so maybe that optimism isn't entirely misplaced.

The comments about consoles put things in perspective. Xbox 360 shipped around 70 million units in the years since it launched, PC sales clobbers that in a single quarter. All of PS4 and Xbox isn't anything to sneeze at, but still very small potatoes compared to PC sales.

The Seamicro thing could be interesting, but the article also points out AMD has no competitive advantage in that segment, other than whatever software technology SeaMicro brought with it (plenty of brilliant software engineers out there, probably harder to come by brilliant hardware architecture engineers so it'd be better to be in a position where you have a competitive hardware advantage). AMD does have the cores/price advantage, but selling a bunch of cores with low margins hasn't proven to keep AMD healthy. Intel will take this segment though, unless it doesn't want it for some reason.

I'd say the best thing AMD has going for, is something the article didn't mention. The real high point is that Intel screwed the pooch as well with missing out on low power architectures where all the growth moved to, and where Qualcomm/Nvidia/TI/Samsung are the only serious contenders. Intel does have a dog in the race, but it isn't worth talking about... Which is good, because AMD's got nothing.

Kind of unbelievable to me that neither Intel or AMD had the foresight to see the mobile shift coming, and neither were able to position themselves into a market segment that is turning up in order to offset their losses in the PC market which was turning down.

You've got some good points there IMOG. Just to comment on the mobile sector that ARM et al. have a hold of - I'm looking at this from the light of a new market is what is driving the insane sales. PC sales are plateauing in part because the performance of the CPUs from both companies are much more powerful than what is needed for 90 percent of user needs, and has been for a while. I mean, I'm using a core 2 duo in my laptop right now, and it has absolutely zero issues/lag because all I do with this laptop is browse the internet, write papers, and other school/office work.

What good is a new 3770k over a phenom II or core II when they spend all of their time doing very light weight work for these processors and you never utilize 70 percent of the available bandwidth?

My point is, I think the decline in PC sales is in part due to the overwhelming value that has been present in hardware made in the last 5-6 years in combination with the superb job Microsoft did with Windows 7.

I think that is pretty fair. I think thats a big part of it.

Probably even bigger however is the iPad and tablets. Most people just consume stuff on the computer. They read sites, they lurk, they download some things... They don't create stuff. Tablets are great for consumption, they are easy to use, you don't have to sit at a desk to use them, they have great battery life, and these things are why they sold like crazy.

I don't think tablets replace the need for a computer, but in many instances they replace the need to have more than one computer. They are also better consumption devices, and computers are only better for creative tasks and gaming.

I'd say the best thing AMD has going for, is something the article didn't mention. The real high point is that Intel screwed the pooch as well with missing out on low power architectures where all the growth moved to, and where Qualcomm/Nvidia/TI/Samsung are the only serious contenders. Intel does have a dog in the race, but it isn't worth talking about... Which is good, because AMD's got nothing.

Kind of unbelievable to me that neither Intel or AMD had the foresight to see the mobile shift coming, and neither were able to position themselves into a market segment that is turning up in order to offset their losses in the PC market which was turning down.

Good point! It is obvious that the market is massively shifting towards mobile and thin clients... even low power servers! A company that has no good low power offerings this year is in deep poo in my opinion.

I'm not quite sure what Intel has in this department... Atom? The new Atoms are not much better than the first gen and they're getting smashed by Qualcomm & cie.

Up until now AMD's offering was pathetic, but they have a couple designs coming for thin & light notebooks (Kabini) and tablets (Temash). I would say that I'm cautiously optimistic about the success of those parts. If they could score some design wins, money would follow.

Another indication the PC market is shrinking. QUOTE: Intel’s Profit Falls 25% With Decline in Chip Sales.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/t...s-fall-as-pc-slump-cuts-demand-for-chips.html

AMD and intel will have to start making ARM like CPUs to compete in the new era of mobile computing, also they will have to continue making improvements for the gaming and encoding photo shop and all the other things that a PC is used for. I don't see any trouble with intel being able to do this, on the other hand AMD does not have the money to invest in new tech, we will have to see.

I don't see the PC dying their is just to many things it's power is needed for. I see it as a niche market like video card companies nvidia and AMD.

Back