• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The smell!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Back in the... last century, computers and computer shops had a smell. A light but clean scent, think lightning strike.

All the cases were white in some form or other and all monitors were CRT. I miss that smell, I miss that feeling it gave me. In the mid 90's I got to smell it daily at IBM.

Anywho, am I alone? Can anyone ID the smell?

I guess that only parts with larger PCBs still have that smell, like mobos or graphics cards. Seems like it's related to how they're manufactured. New components more often have huge heatsinks, shrouds, are additionally painted, or have other things that make them smell like plastic. High series are also not packed in antistatic bags anymore, only blister-type covers and cardboard. Like when you unpack higher ROG motherboards, then they don't have the smell we are talking about. They smell a bit different and mainly like a mix of plastic and rubber.

Looking at various posts/threads over the years, I feel like all liked that smell. I don't think I have seen anyone who said otherwise. In one thread, I remember a statement it's the main reason for PC upgrades :D

I am guessing that the plastic parts, doesn't smell, same with clean metal parts.
Hm, I can imagine a pcb might smell. And any thermal pads, though who knows maybe there's no smell from them.
Hm, I sort of imagine that the power supply might smell the most, from various use of glue, rubber and other sticky things.

Ha! Who doesn't? I couldn't care less about where it's coming from (or how cancerous it may be, LOL), but it's like momma's cooking on a Sunday!

The new car smell... also awesome (no over-the-counter scent comes close to matching it). :rofl:

I dunno but I can find the smell of brand new metals pleasing. I'm sure everyone here who has watercooled knows that smell of a brand new waterblock. Not as sweet smelling as a new mobo or graphics card tho.

I have a habit of taking long strong wiffs of a brand new power supply. They have that new electronics and new metals combined smell.

Crazy time to post this, I was just thinking about this subject earlier this week, and it clicked in my head.....I KNEW I had smelled the "New Car Smell" air freshener spray from Chemical Guys!

I bought this air freshener spray a couple of months ago and I couldn't quite pin what the smell was so similar to. It's the new electronics smell!

Chemical Guys -- New Car Smell

Crazy time to post this, I was just thinking about this subject earlier this week, and it clicked in my head.....I KNEW I had smelled the "New Car Smell" air freshener spray from Chemical Guys!

I bought this air freshener spray a couple of months ago and I couldn't quite pin what the smell was so similar to. It's the new electronics smell!

Chemical Guys -- New Car Smell
I will check that out

Back