• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Xeon Thread v2.0 Complete

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That was a really nice guide you have there, mateo. :)

Happened to be a fellow Xeon user too, enjoying the goodness of SMP. ;)

Here are my humble stats:
Tualatin | 2 x 2.66GHz/533 | 2.8GHz (14 x 200) | 1.5V | C1, ES | IWill DH800 | 2 x Intel Wind Tunnel (from 3.2GHz/2MB), Mem 1:1

It is just a mild overclock to 800FSB specs, and due to 4 sticks of BH5 running, I can't quite get the FSB up any further than a few MHz above 200, so decided to stick with 200. Interestingly, I didn't have to perform any mod to get the DH800 run at 200MHz, maybe it might be due to the ES status of my chips? I don't know. :)

Thanks, Tualatin. Your DH800 might be v1.2, which I don't think have that problem if you set the jumpers correctly, or it might be the ES thing.

Great informational thread! :thup:

Tyrinon | 2x 1.6LV/400 | 3.01GHz (14x215) | 1.5v | D1, SL6XK | ASUS PC-DL Deluxe Rev. 1.05 | AL/CU IWT's w/60x38mm Intel fans | Work in progress (as time permits). :)

mateo said:
Thanks, Tualatin. Your DH800 might be v1.2, which I don't think have that problem if you set the jumpers correctly, or it might be the ES thing.

Welcome dude, my DH800 is v1.0, which comes to me as a surprise why my board would work. Could be the ES though... ;)

Please add to the list.

Pickles | 2x 1.6/400 LV | 14x200 =2800 | 1.60v | C1 SL6GV | PC-DL 1.05 | AL/CU IWT's w/60x25mm intel fans (flipped)

A very nice thread. I really need to get a EPS PSU, still running mine off of a Antec TruePower 480w :-/

The first DN800-Sli posted?!

Am I the first one to respond to this with an DN800-Sli?! Anyway, here is what I run...

Thideras | 2x 2.8/800 nocona | 3.2Ghz (14*230) | 1.25V | e0, 0F14H | IWill DN800-Sli | custom water cooled

Thanks,
Thideras

Hello all, I just recieved my DH800 V 1.2 from Geeks and so far my results look pretty good. I am running 2 Xeon 3.0 GHZ CPUs

Irwindale 2M L2 cache with an FSB of 800.
My steppings are NO

I have 2 all copper base Intel Windtunnels made for the 3.6 GHZ processors.

Since I only got the MB a few days ago I am still testing different sets of memory I am just seeing how fast the DH800 FSB will boot without the Hard Drive attached. After I find the fastest booting memory in this board I will attach the drive and run Prime Stable95 and see what I end up with.

Right now the fastest FSB I can manage is 239x15=3585 I am look for 3.6 and beyond. So far I have tested 3 different sets of sets of memory and I another brand that should be here in a few days.

Thank,
Jason
AKA ComicDom1

Hey Jason, Good luck with "tuning" that system... it'll be a rock crusher when you get done : )

keep us posted!:beer:

Please Help! You seem to know so much about O/C... I have 2 HP xw6000 workstations that I intend on merging (first I need the VRM which I actually found on e-Bay!) but first I want to overclock and there doesn't seem to be an option in BIOS... It's a 2.4ghz 533mhz bus 512K L2 cache 512meg PC2100 DDR-266 ECC Ram. Both systems are identical. The # on my M/b are: SP#302203-001, DG#263662-000, P58B80F9VOA03E, AS#263661-001, Rev-0F. I hope that is of some use to you! Any help you could offer would be GREAT!

KingK76 said:
Please Help! You seem to know so much about O/C... I have 2 HP xw6000 workstations that I intend on merging (first I need the VRM which I actually found on e-Bay!) but first I want to overclock and there doesn't seem to be an option in BIOS... It's a 2.4ghz 533mhz bus 512K L2 cache 512meg PC2100 DDR-266 ECC Ram. Both systems are identical. The # on my M/b are: SP#302203-001, DG#263662-000, P58B80F9VOA03E, AS#263661-001, Rev-0F. I hope that is of some use to you! Any help you could offer would be GREAT!

in terms of overclocking, a system such as the one(s) you have found aren't ideal for that task simply due to the fact that that system was most likely intended on being a system critical type machine that won't allow overclocking thru the bios for a reason and that would be stability. now i am not saying that it is not possible to do at all thru windows or software utilities, but it would seem that if you are aiming at overclocking, that might not be the system i would use for that...

If you can't OC in the BIOS (which, on an OEM, especially a workstation, you simply can't), the only other option is a BSEL mod. However, you've already maxxed out the FSB of the board, so you can't do anything with what you have other than run it stock. It should still make a solid workstation, even though its a generation removed from the current stuff- I was happy w/ my Xeon rig when I ran it stock for a time.

A little creative thinking advice please

I recently purchased a SuperMicro X5DAL-TG2 with the iE7505 chipset and am working on the rest of the components to build around the mobo.
What I am looking for info of is a little advice with regards to possibly converting a more "enthusiast" type of heatsink to the sockets for cooling.
I am a skilled metal smith so fabing a mount would be a bit of a challenge but definitly possible.
Any opinions would be appreciated,... I love to mod at intricate levels so a valid proposal will be attempted regardless of difficulty.

Any comments???????......

OS = Win XP Pro
Case = Cooler Maser - CMSTACKER
MOBO = Supermicro X5DAL-TG2
Processors = 2x - Xeon 3.2Ghz, 533FSB,
Memory = 2x - Crucial 2gig pc2700 modules,...(2x more to follow soon)
Video = AGP - PNY Quadro FX 4000
HDD = Variety of sizes of removable tray SATA drives
Sound = unpurchased yet
PSU = Unpurchased yet ,... Have space for dual

Last edited:
my setup

I have a super micro x6da8-g2 with dual 3.2 ghz 800 mhz buss narconia xeons. 4gb of ecc red'g ram. nvidia evga 8800 gtx oc'd to 650mhz. 4 15k u320 scsi segate cheetah's (raid-o) Dell 3007 wfp-hc 30in 4.5 mega pixel tft lcd. What do you think I could over clock the system too? I have cooler master skived fin copper cpu coolers and 4 4in case fans. Cpus full load at about 95*f case arpimd 83*F. Chenbro net case and 1kw pc power cooilng eps psu. I allso have installed a creative x*fi pro 24 bit soundcard and pci-e tv tuner. 8 hds and 4 cdroms.

Tim
www.kc2ttt.com

I have a super micro x6da8-g2 with dual 3.2 ghz 800 mhz buss narconia xeons. 4gb of ecc red'g ram. nvidia evga 8800 gtx oc'd to 650mhz. 4 15k u320 scsi segate cheetah's (raid-o) Dell 3007 wfp-hc 30in 4.5 mega pixel tft lcd. What do you think I could over clock the system too? I have cooler master skived fin copper cpu coolers and 4 4in case fans. Cpus full load at about 95*f case arpimd 83*F. Chenbro net case and 1kw pc power cooilng eps psu. I allso have installed a creative x*fi pro 24 bit soundcard and pci-e tv tuner. 8 hds and 4 cdroms.

Tim
www.kc2ttt.com

Well I'm not sure how much if at all you can overclock your xeons with that board. I highly doubt there is any section for overclocking, or changing the fsb to any higher than 200 (800) Mhz. Check your bios, if not you'll have to see about software overclocking via clockgen, softfsb or the such. I don't know what ppl the x6da8-g2 has so I can't point you directly to a download for software ocing if it exists.

Also the PSU is not the best of name brands, I wouldn't trust it to provide 1000 watts of power, but I highly doubt you need anything over 550 watts with that setup, so your good.

...1kw pc power cooilng eps psu.

...Also the PSU is not the best of name brands, I wouldn't trust it to provide 1000 watts of power, but I highly doubt you need anything over 550 watts with that setup, so your good.

:confused:

PC Power and Cooling is a top-tier (most on this forum would say THE top-tier) supplier of power supplies in the market. Look around in the Power Supplies forum for lots of posts about this manufacturer. I'd imagine that flm150 is running this one, which will be way more than enough for his system for the foreseeable future.

flm150, welcome to the non-overclocking world of Supermicro. Unfortunately, Enterprise-class hardware is more concerned with total stability and longevity than accommodating us enthusiasts.

Other than software, as Shelnutt2 suggested, you're out of luck for overclocking.

OK very informative post.

I have a Dell server PowerEdge 2600 with northbridge Intel E7501 and Intel 82801CA (ICH3-S) as southbridge. The CPU socket is 604. Max FSB is 533mhz and official max RAM support up to 6Gb. Luckily RAM goes over this limit with a max of 12gb.

Like the RAM, I Wonder if this chipset can take a Xeon with a FSB over than 533 ? Why ? Can I put a Xeon with intel 64 support on this motherboard ? Xeon can it downgrade his FSB for adjusting it with motherboard FSB ?

Last edited:
Back