• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal adhesive questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmarino3

Registered
Hello,
I have a question regarding thermal adhesive/glue/pads, so I guess this question goes under the "cooling" section.

I have 2 thermistor controlled fans (very bad choice) to cool my Accelero S1 (I should have picked PWM fans instead) and need to attach their thermistors to the heatpipes.

I tried this "thermal glue" to attach the thermistors: "ARCTIC COOLING G-1 THERMAL GLUE KIT", but it REALLY sucks. I followed the instructions, but it does NOT "become like a thermal pad". It's rather a very fluid thermal LIQUID... even Arctic Silver thermal paste is stickier than this "GLUE". It does not stick a thing.

I would like to avoid epoxy-based glues (those are permanent, arent they? and I would like to test several spots before fixing the thermistors!) so I was thinking about thermal pads.
Do you think it's a good idea?
If so, which one would you pick? I already lost €9 for the Arctic Cooling "GLUE", and now I need a VERY sticky pad... :)

Thanks for the advice!

Hello,
I have 2 thermistor controlled fans (very bad choice) to cool my Accelero S1 (I should have picked PWM fans instead) and need to attach their thermistors to the heatpipes.

You already know what you should do... get some PWM fans and stop messing with those adhesives :thup:

I have a roll of Furon Tape, the amber plastic specialty tape they use to wrap thermistors in. It's a very heat conductive silicon based tape.
Barring that expense, I'd just use blue masking tape to attach them to the pipes or fins, maybe with small a spot of AS5 between.
IMHO, anything else you use will be another thermal barrier to a true reading to the thermistor, and paper tape would be a barrier from case air temps reaching it.

**Sound all scientific and stuff, but just tape it on. That's how I'm reading my radiator temp right now.

Last edited:
Back