• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal compound choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wait a minute... Isn't a higher wattage per minute-kelvin better? Or am I confused?

But that stuff which is rated at 4.5 absolutely demolished AS3 (rated at 9) in the shootout. So either we are wrong... Arctic silver's manufacturers are full of sh*t or the guy who did the shootout is full of sh*t.

1, is possible... though I dont think so.
2, again possible.
3, probably most likely although godknows I hope not. Can anyone here actually get there hands on each of these, and perform a head to head to head compairison following the instructions to a tee, and tell us what they find? I'm too lazy/cheep... but maybe someone else is more generous with their wallet and time than I am.

Lithan said:
Can anyone here actually get there hands on each of these, and perform a head to head to head compairison following the instructions to a tee, and tell us what they find? I'm too lazy/cheep... but maybe someone else is more generous with their wallet and time than I am.

Your wish has been granted, and the tests were done with an Intel internal diode. This means they are far more accurate than Inside Project's ridiculous side mounted probe tests. I might add, since 751 and CoolerMaster are the same, why the discrepancy in the Inside Project tests?

NM all that *big edit*. As that site states, Coolermaster and Shin Etsu G-751 are the same. Good thing in my review I use the P4 Internal Diode.

Well Damn. I was all excited about this stuff getting something like 5+ degrees off of Artic Silver's scores and now someones saying AS3 beats it by 3 degrees. Hmm Maybe the few people on this site that bought some will have good news for me.

Colin said:

Your wish has been granted, and the tests were done with an Intel internal diode. This means they are far more accurate than Inside Project's ridiculous side mounted probe tests. I might add, since 751 and CoolerMaster are the same, why the discrepancy in the Inside Project tests?
This test seemed bunk, yeah they used the diode but, they only ran the test for a few hours. In the other test, the guy left each compound for 3 days. Initially the Shin Etsu was not so great, after 3 days it started to perform.

Colin said:

Lol, smearing with finger, and this was supposed to be a controlled test? Grease and skin will hinder performance and the amount of grease and skin from test to test is not quantified. One batch of dead skin cells directly over the core will throw it off. We're talking thousandths of an inch thicknesses when presure is applied, any variance will affect performance of the tim, and dead skin is not very thermally conductive but will act as an insulator. Grease will affect the density of the material (how many particles in a given volume) and dilute it. Not going to be able to tell from their procedure which is better let alone how much one is better than another.

I read that shootout where that ShinEtsu G-751 was left on for three days and became intrigued. I couldn't find it in a retail outlet at the time so I contacted MicroSi directly. They sent me some test samples.

I am VERY impressed with the stuff (It is REALLY thick tho, so be ready to really spread :) . So much so that I sent it to some friends in the OEM biz thinking that it could indeed save them some dough. These peeps build server blades and 1u systems, btw, so cooling IS a problem. Some like it and some don't need it(the blade doods don't need it for their puny Cyrix chips).

They sent me a BUNCH so I have been trying to give some away to reviewers but no one seems to want any. If you guys want some, PM me and I'll send ya a syringe of it. First couple who can review it, get it.

Personally, I had some silicon paste on my crappy OEM Al HS w/ a purely cosmetic fan :). With no increase in ventalation I have realized a 7C idle and 9C load improvement.

P.S. I spoke directly with their sales reps and was told that the coolermaster product was a mixture. There seems to be conflicting reports, so maybe that doesn't clarify anything but that is what I was told.

Some people on the hardforum have been trying this Shin Etsu stuff out and most of them seem to think that after letting it settle in for a few days, it´s as good if not a bit better than AS3 (I´d like to see it in action for myself though...).

hard link

Back