• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Compound misinformation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardofCOR

Registered
Hello everyone,

I'm going to start off this show with a bang - be warned, for this is a very long read:

First, I was recently informed that an article was published on www.overclockers.com regarding the comparison of thermal compounds. In this short, one-page review, several thermal compounds were reportedly tested. However, the results didn't seem to be congruent with any other professional reviewers findings (or even user reports for that matter), anywhere else in the world. I found this to be quite odd, considering that www.overclockers.com was generally considered as a very reputable site amongst the overclocking enthusiast community.
Upon further investigating the review's test results, and the methods used to gain those results, I subsequently found them lacking both consistency and thoroughness. Now normally, I wouldn't be inclined to personally write the author of any review - even a bad review, such as this one obviously was. However, this review was simply too insulting to anyone who knew anything about thermal compounds.
So I emailed the author directly, commenting politely on the obvious mistakes made in the article which really should be corrected (on an immediate basis), and which really wouldn't have been too difficult to correct - with no tangible "loss of face" suffered. Here's the email I sent:

"Hello Joe,

Recently I learned that overclockers.com had made a thermal compound review, posted here:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles660/
Now please compare yours with the review that I conducted for Inside Project:
http://www.insideproject.com/showreview.cfm?reviewid=81
While I've always enjoyed your site, I unfortunately have distinct issues with your review. First, you should already know that you must allow the compounds to settle and cure for at least 3 days while on medium to high heat, and then re-take your temperatures again. The additional fact that there was no control mechanism in place for verifying temperatures also could lend skepticism towards your reported results.
There are also several versions of Shin Etsu, with the G-751 being the best performer. Your review unfortunately didn't clearly specify what version was tested, yet pointed to an older version (G-749) via a hyper-link.
Frankly put, Shin Etsu G-751 blew away everything else in its class in our tests, and in similar tests conducted by www.meetthegeeks.org. Shin Etsu G-751 is available at www.chillblast.com, and a few other places around the world.
As a recommendation, perhaps you should've used the most recent version of Shin Etsu, and conducted further tests after a period of at least 72 hours, and you may have found the same results that we did.
In summary, I found this review pretty short-sighted, and potentially misleading, unfortunately.
I am VERY surprised to have seen this actually posted on overclockers.com... You guys should know better - you have a very good reputation amongst the community.

My friendly .02,

Wizard
[email protected] "

I however, received no response.
A second "follow-up" article appeared shortly thereafter, which apparently (and vainly) attempted to support the first article's findings by using a potentially incomplete and basically non-applicable mathematical formula from over 6 years ago, out of context, with substituted and relative W/mK values for compounds which weren't obtained by any uniform testing method.
Also included in the review was the statement:
"The "ultimate" thermal grease will reduce CPU core temps by about 1 C."
Yet later in the same article, this was self-contradicted by the following statement:
"Don't expect any quality grease to cost you more than 1-2 C at 100 watts radiated heat."
I have since written the author in question yet again, asking him to please either remove both of these grossly innaccurate articles from publication, or to at least revisit his testing methodologies and then see the resultant differences for himself.

Here is that email:

Hello once again Joe,

Normally I don't bother writing people in regards to published articles. Yet I feel compelled to again inform you now of the continued discrediting of your site from the publishing of the follow-up article listed below:
http://overclockers.com/articles662/
The original article I wrote you about is still posted here:
http://overclockers.com/articles660/
There's a distinct difference between figures that exist solely on paper, and reality - where the proverbial rubber actually hits the road.
What is particularly disturbing is this quote:
"The "ultimate" thermal grease will reduce CPU core temps by about 1 C."
This is clearly a gross misstatement that is in fact self-contradicted later in the same article(!) by this statement;
"don't expect any quality grease to cost you more than 1-2 C at 100 watts radiated heat."
The main point I'm making here is that your 'conclusions' contradict every properly conducted scientific measurement process (and the results thereof) that exist on the subject of thermal compounds, in addition to the findings of practically every other professional overclocker, reviewer, and user all over the world.
To address this more in detail, the scientific paper quoted here;
http://www.electronics-cooling.com/Resources/EC_Articles/SEP96/sep96_01.htm
is an (older), more generalized, theoretical paper on the overall benefits of using thermal interface materials as opposed to not using any. It was published in September '96, over 6 years ago, using socket 5 CPU's and what can easily now be called inferior thermal interface materials. Technology has changed greatly since then.
This article should not be used out of context with substituted (and suspect) values gathered from separate outside sources. The formula listed there may indeed be a decent (if yet theoretical) formula, but it isn't encompassing enough to be considered the "end-all, be-all" of how well thermal compounds will actually perform in general. In fact, it doesn't appear that the author ever intended for this article to be used in that specific, comparative regard. So perhaps it should not be misinterpreted and used thusly. In all honestly, I doubt a comprehensive "formula" truly exists, even now - or that one can actually exist, for that matter. There are always more variables in reality than there are on paper, much like friction is to the perpetual motion machine.
For example, if we were to examine chipset specs of say, different video cards, we would find that certain cards with higher actual hardware specs simply don't perform as well as certain other cards with lower specs. The potential reason(s)? Drivers and differing test environments and methodologies, obviously. But you can't factor these into any math equation. Likewise, so should the same attitude be taken when approaching thermal compounds. You cannot rely upon what is an older, potentially incomplete formula to justify what are results generated by inadequate testing methods, sorry.
Scientifically controlled tests should normally include using the same HSF, temp monitoring equipment and processes for gaining properly comparative results. So your statements regarding these having an affect on temperatures, while decidedly are both true and valid, are also somewhat of a moot point - I can't help but feel that they are included as a "make-up" statement for the lack of any extended articulation regarding this subject in the last article (article660). In fact, myself and other professionals feel that this entire article (article662) is pretty much an attempt at self-justification for the last article (article600) - specifically the testing results posted.
Here's a list of some missing and/or erroneous information found in both of these two articles:

#1. You either didn't use Shin Etsu G-751 (their latest version) in your tests - and/or if you did, you initially linked to the wrong product.
#2. The follow-up review does actually specify G-751, but whether that product was actually tested in the first article (instead of G-749) remains in question.
#3. The reported W/mK figures from each thermal compound were gathered from different sources, and should be considered "representative values" only - the actual values of each are dependent upon the specific testing methods used. Being that these values were derived from different sources, this subsequently invalidates their potential usage. In other words, using these values is unfortunately baseless for any sort of measurement comparison.
#4. You unfortunately didn't mention the ambient temperature of the testing room. The consistency of this factor is critical for any kind of air-cooled testing, as well as the all-important factors of consistency of HSF/CPU and case airflow, among other things.
#5. You only measured initial temperatures within an 8 hour period, unfortunately and completely missing the boat on settling/curing time factors for each type of compound.
#6. Instead of either removing the first article from publication, or posting a follow-up admission that you were initially incorrect or perhaps lacking information, you followed-up with a second article which actually attempts to justify your firsts' findings, hiding behind an older, potentially incomplete and basically non-applicable mathematical formula, using relative, substituted values which weren't determined by any uniform testing method.

Your statement,
"I repeat: The "ultimate" thermal grease will reduce CPU core temps by about 1 C."
contradicts the reported results of anyone who has ever used different thermal compounds, anywhere else in the world, and again is even self-contradicted within the same article.
It is from misinformative articles like these that people do actually carry the misperception that all thermal compounds are basically the same - when proper testing clearly shows that they are not.
Therefore, I would urge that you either remove these articles in question from publication immediately, and/or revisit your testing methodologies and then see the differing results for yourself. As it stands now however, these articles do seriously discredit yourself and www.overclockers.com (despite the valiant, yet vain effort of justification via math equations). Both articles misinform readers of the potential benefits of using a higher quality thermal compound.

I do hope that you will give my recommendations your serious and immediate consideration.

Wizard
www.insideproject.com
www.tweakers.com.au
www.chillblast.com

I (again) have received no response as of yet, unfortunately.

It is therefore from careful deliberation and consideration that I have made the following official statements on several technical forum websites: Thermal compound reviews at www.overclockers.com should be disregarded as being misinformative, and completely inaccurate.

I do hope that the author reads this, and realizes that amongst the professional community, asking for more information or even admitting ignorance on a particular subject isn't a crime or weakness. It is actually considered a strength, and welcomed instead - for we're all learning. <|;^)>

Wizard,

I have seen multiple reports of "formal" testing and informal testing involving Shin Etsu compounds.

I haven't seen anyone come anywhere close to approaching your results.

Experimental results that can't be reproduced by another tester are meaningless at best.

Instead of criticisizing JoeC's testing, why don't you point us to test reports by others, that actually back up your results. (BTW, the MeetTheGeek article you linked was crap. The CPU was 1C above ambient fully loaded when using Shin-Etsu - yeah right, I really believe that.)

Ah yes - the staunch supporter... Thanks for replying! :)

"I have seen multiple reports of "formal" testing and informal testing involving Shin Etsu compounds.
I haven't seen anyone come anywhere close to approaching your results."

Would you mind showing me those reports, please? I would certainly love to review them!

Everyone that I've heard from has reported a temp decrease of anywhere from 2c to 10c by using G-751. This obviously varies due to multiple factors.

You also mention,

"Experimental results that can't be reproduced by another tester are meaningless at best."

So the results posted at this site (which I'm concerned about) are meaningless at best? Hmmm... That kinda proves the point, I guess...
I've already mentioned the blatant holes in the methodologies used in both of these short 1 page reviews, and believe me, there are more. No offense pal, but despite what you may think I'm not here to flame-shot anyone. I'm simply here to point out what is obviously ignorance. Anyone can provide references to multiple sites which all demonstrate varying temperature degrees from the use of differing thermal compounds. That's easy enough. Its also quite easy to quote antiquated and non-applicable math equations in a pathetic effort to prove something that's not, out of a bruised ego.

No offense is meant here - Your obvious dedication to the site is indeed commendable - But ill-placed in this regard. These were shoddy reviews made without a basic knowledge of thermal compounds.

The points I've made clearly speak for themselves - no mention of ambient room temp, which is critical, wrong product or link fubar, improper use of W/mK values in a non-applicable, antiquated and theoretical formula, along with the fact that ALL temps were measured in an 8 hour period, which doesn't take into account any curing/settling time for any of the thermal compounds in question.... What more do you want?! Its pretty simple really...

Perhaps you should obtain some of these compounds and test them for yourself - as its pretty obvious that nothing I can say will convince you that the sky is blue. ;)

WizardofCOR

it is clear you did not like JoeC's thermal paste test, let us try and determine why

you are an internet OCer reviewer/author - so let us understand, also a 'competitor' of JoeC
do you also have a specific website affiliation/interest ? (I did not look to see)

you observe that others do /did not have the same results as JoeC - so what ?
you would say that the emperor's clothes are good - or imaginary ?

you complain that JoeC did not wait 3 days to measure, but did he not say just that up-front ?
I too have done a spot of goop testing, what is magical about 3 days ?
do not some goop mfgrs talk of weeks ?
have YOU plotted the TIM joint C/W over time ? - please post
and be quite prepared for some REAL questions re your methodology and calibration

you complain that the mfgr's properties data is dissimilar (which I too suspect w/o an ASTM procedure reference)
but then conclude that this is JoeC's 'problem' ?
so which mfgrs' data IS good ? - please list for us the valid numbers
do you have an agenda ?

you denigrate theory as failing to describe 'reality'
you are full of cr*p, and your technical ignorance is apparent to all
do you have an education in this area ? - materials science would be appropriate
do you have work experience in this area ? - as in lab testing
-> you have it quite bassackwards
when test results are in conflict with theory, it is the testing equipment and methodology that is inadequate
- you (or I) are not going to be defining new parameters for materials or test methods
if your results are 'off', get a better setup and methodology

you also did not like JoeC's temperature setup
can't say as I really do either, but it was the same for all tests so the differential temps should be relevant

and finally, to the crux of the issue - you got larger temp differentials than JoeC did
so what ?
neither you nor he 'controlled' the compressive loading (numbers here please; # trials, range, std dev)
neither you nor he 'controlled' the goop layer thickness (numbers here please; # trials, range, std dev)

so what are you flapping your gums about ?
a task for you: -> demonstrate that your results are valid
not just different, but VALID

your post is junk
bootstrapping ?

be cool

and since I suspect you’ll raise the issue, yes I’ve known JoeC for several years; and I also write an occasional article for him to post on OC
know what else ? JoeC does not need a handle like “WizardofCOR” to pump up his importance

while writing the above (yes, I'm old and very slow), I see your latest

let me introduce you to "The Overclocker's Mantra"

all temps are cr*p, but Watts are worse
ooohhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm

you said
"Everyone that I've heard from has reported a temp decrease of anywhere from 2c to 10c by using G-751. This obviously varies due to multiple factors."

"10c" ?? - yes, several factors
principal amoung which would be inadaquate equipment, calibration, methodology, and data analysis

-> do a search on this forum, no one here got those numbers

you need a new handle, how about "The Emperor" ?

WizardofCOR said:
"I have seen multiple reports of "formal" testing and informal testing involving Shin Etsu compounds.
I haven't seen anyone come anywhere close to approaching your results."

Would you mind showing me those reports, please? I would certainly love to review them!

Just search the forums for "Shin Etsu". Follow the links.

WizardofCOR said:

"Experimental results that can't be reproduced by another tester are meaningless at best."

So the results posted at this site (which I'm concerned about) are meaningless at best? Hmmm... That kinda proves the point, I guess...

The only independent results I've seen you mention, are the MeetTheGeek review which uses vastly inferior technique to the Overclockers test. The MeetTheGeek test came up with obviously bogus results. So I guess you only criticize the testing methodology when the result contradicts yours, and you cite tests as backups to yours when they agree, no matter how bogus they may be?

WizardofCOR said:
No offense pal, but despite what you may think I'm not here to flame-shot anyone...

...Its also quite easy to quote antiquated and non-applicable math equations in a pathetic effort to prove something that's not, out of a bruised ego.

You're not here to flame.

Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Who's ego is bruised?

I don't have any objection to flames personally. As far as my posts are concerned, feel free to flame away. The thread may get deleted though.

WizardofCOR said:
No offense is meant here - Your obvious dedication to the site is indeed commendable - But ill-placed in this regard. These were shoddy reviews made without a basic knowledge of thermal compounds.

Although I post here fairly frequently, I don't have any particular dedication to this site. In fact if you look at this thread, you will see that I was quite hopeful that your test results were valid. Unfortunately I haven't seen any meaningful evidence that backs up your test results.

WizardofCOR said:
Perhaps you should obtain some of these compounds and test them for yourself - as its pretty obvious that nothing I can say will convince you that the sky is blue. ;)

Believe me, I'd love to believe that the Shin Etsu stuff is vastly superior to AS3. The evidence of that is far from convincing though.

If you'd like to send me a tube guaranteed to contain G-751, I'd be happy to test it vs AS3. I've got power resistors and a slab of copper to build a die simulator with, and access to a Fluke thermocouple thermometer. I've also got three waterblocks that aren't in use at this time. I can test it accurately. (No guarantees on when I'll get to it though.)

I have to say that I'll back up Wizard on this one.. not that I want to dis anyone, but Wizard has followed the steps that should be followed to make accurate tests of thermal compounds, whereas JoeC has not..

1. As Wizard mentioned the settling of the thermal compound should be at least 3 days before taking accurate readings.. some thermal compounds require less time.. but basically wait 3 days to get them all on the same level (kind of like saying anything about a car after you have driven it 5 km.. you want to have a certain amount of kilometres before you really can say anything about a car.. same rule applies here)

2. Room temp is indeed critical..

3. The "formula" is indeed a thing of the past and should not be used.

Now, I'm sure that the O/C.com reviewers aren't bad, and instead of dissing Wizard here, who is really just trying to help out, I'd say 'thank you' instead. Because he made some friendly pointers to what could be improved to make the review better.. now we don't want to have inaccurate reviews do we?

And please, to even try to say that he's doing this for "competition".. anyone trying to compete amongst websites would be .. yes, stupid. There are thousands of tweaker/overclocker sites reviewing these kind of things.. one more or less doesn't really matter.. ;)

I should add some more general observations about goop testing:

the thread Since87 referred to had several posters talking about JoeC being sent tubes of this or that,
and I recall thinking (if not also posting ?) that I did not see JoeC setting out to destroy his credibility
- and lo, he up and did it !! (well, the testing part at least)

I've been testing WCing pieces for several years and would characterize the difficulty thusly:
radiators - moderate, quantifying the airflow is the difficulty
hsfs - difficult, due to the TIM joint presence
wbs - very difficult, due to the flowrate quantification AND the TIM joint presence
TIM joints - EXTREMELY difficult, due to substrate, pressure, and thickness quantification and control

and the grease alone ? - not even relevant to the issue at hand

so how can the TIM joint alone be more difficult than testing those components incorporating a TIM joint ?
- because the 'smaller details' wrt the joint are being ignored

I spent over 2 months, 6 days/wk, 10 - 12 hrs/day testing thermal greases
and have little that I would consider 'publishing'; far too many variables with far too much scatter
but it is clear my standards may be a bit higher too

I doubt any would disagree that some thermal greases have a time related performance change
well, they ALL do - just a question of how much

want to know how to recognize a good 'thermal grease review' ?
-> such will have a C/W curve for each grease, over time
AND will specify the substrate prep, applied pressure, and grease thickness measurement methods
(# trials, range, and std dev. - demonstrate CONTROL)

until then, this is all bull
ever seen a herd of bulls ? - or were they steers ?
a whole bunch of cr*p testing will not make the results 'more' accurate

be cool

WizardofCOR said:
Now please compare yours with the review that I conducted for Inside Project:
http://www.insideproject.com/showreview.cfm?reviewid=81

Frankly put, Shin Etsu G-751 blew away everything else in its class in our tests, and in similar tests conducted by www.meetthegeeks.org. Shin Etsu G-751 is available at www.chillblast.com, and a few other places around the world.

It appears that Wizard not only tested the thermal compounds but also sells Shin Etsu at www.chillblast.com . Isn't this a classic conflict of interest?:confused:

I operate in the forums, mate - I'm not a paid employee of any website, and that was even indicated in my review. Perhaps that answers multiple questions by multiple people. There isn't any "competition" that exists between us. LOL :)
My comments/emails were politely offered as insight to what many consider misinformation, people.
Now its even come down to moniker-bashing. C'mon, please.
I really didn't feel like opening a flame war - technical discussion, yes - but flaming? That's not too professional, is it?
It is clear that some people simply don't wish to admit that perhaps they were incorrect, or perhaps they didn't account for some very basic items (that really should've been included).
You know, the sign of a truly intelligent person is being able to admit when they're wrong. Site loyalty is obviously very evident here - impressive, but again I'm not here to bash. These things of which I speak (and point out) should be pretty obvious to us all.
We ask at the beginning of a flamed response why curing/settling time for thermal compounds is important, and then later we stress its importance...* Let's explain why this is necessary.
Perhaps the evidence provided by testing temperature over a span of time is really an unwritten rule, as we all will run our PC's longer than 8 hours. This is why it becomes important - many thermal compounds are engineered not for the initial temp readings, but to last over time, at medium to high heat.
Otherwise, we could all use toothpaste and get that really good initial score. Check back in a week, and your CPU's toasted.
So I think the matter of testing over time is pretty much a basic procedure that simply must be observed when comparing thermal compounds. Does this make sense? To just go off of initial temps is very inadequate.
I must say, I really do like the idea of testing which BillA indicated:
*-> such will have a C/W curve for each grease, over time
AND will specify the substrate prep, applied pressure, and grease thickness measurement methods
(# trials, range, and std dev. - demonstrate CONTROL)
Now, without extremely expensive, professional equipment, many of these items would be very difficult to appropriately ascertain.
However, in real-life terms, if the same HSF is used, the standard of deviation as far as pressure measurement goes should be close enough for our real-life test processes - 'grease' thickness may also indeed play a role as well, but again - that would be exceedingly difficult to measure in specific micron levels without employing professional caliper equipment. I'm sure that we could also readily agree that the difference of a micron really isn't going to make that much of a difference temperature wise. This is where we're kinda going overboard - these factors that we introduce as being mandatory for any "good" thermal compound review are really nowhere to be found (as being tested uniformally), won't influence temperatures on any grand scale, and certainly aren't part of any math equation being used to justify even less technical methodologies.
I'm honestly not sure about what you mean by substrate prep - unless you're indicating a vacuum sealed dust-free room or perhaps cleaning methodologies between testing, perhaps? While the former should again be considered quite overboard, the latter is a very important point that I also missed in my review - thank you for pointing that out. It is critical to remove as much trace of any prior compound during each testing cycle. Good show, I'll have to put that in Part II. ;)
Regardless, the "refocus" on any/all of these possible additional factors are nice, yet they sway us from what was the real point here. All thermal compounds will not lower temps by just 1c MAX. There is a larger difference between them.
And you can test that for yourself - which was really all I was asking for initially, anyway - simply retest them over time, or please yank the reviews - because if you did retest the compounds over time, you'd see the difference.
LOL - All the talk over W/nK and formulas/equations... Its nice to try and quantify things in this fashion, but for the PC user, none of it is necessary, and most (if not all of it) is actually quite useless. Yet if it makes someone feel more intelligent by including these things, then whatever.

Just as a sticky: Your own forums mention that AS3 is "the best" - now, why exactly would that be...?

So... Let's put away the baseball bats and put on our thinking caps, please. When you test these compounds yourself and find that really there is a difference, you'll know then of what I'm talking about.

Good luck! ;)

That's actually a good question... I know www.newegg.com used to sell G-749, but you'd want the G-751 if you were going to get Shin Etsu.
I did find a link here:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tai-sol/shing7thergr.html
But to be honest, as a fellow consumer, I'm not too impressed with a site that indicates "all sales are final" on each page... That worries me a bit. I haven't ordered anything from that site.

Being that I was quite impressed with the stuff, and am starting my own business soon, I will probably carry it in the future - but that's still a little ways off, I'm afraid...

I hope this helps! :)

Mr. Adams----------------------------------------------------------------------, not to intrude in the discussion/debate-- look at this, this is what he is referring to, I think?--

"Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the silver particles in Arctic Silver 3, it will take a minimum of 72 hours and as many as 200 hours to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heat sink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heat sink.) The CPU's temperature will drop as much as 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period."

Straight from the website, 3/4's of the way down.
3 days to 8.3 days, wow! In JoeC's defense, I wouldn't want to wait that long to test to d@* thermal paste either! LOL

One question, wouldn't how the thermal paste particle to particle thermal conduction depend on the loading of the CPU? For instance, using a burn-in program would decrease the time for particle to particle steady state conduction? It seems to me that burning in the CPU for an arbitrary couple hours would suffice.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as3.htm

Side note:

I've done some uncontrolled testing and found a 3 degree drop (just changing from the white thermal paste (which is crap) to Arctic Aluminum paste). Worked through the electrical analog of a heat circuit and got a .2 temperature difference. Just some extra input.

l8ter, Mr. Adams

Last edited:
Good info, HighFlowRod - thanks for posting! :)

As far as the question regarding particle to particle thermal conduction based upon thermal load goes, this is exactly why I used Folding@Home during the interim period, to attempt to accelerate the curing process of each compound by keeping the CPU at 100% 24/7 between testings. Load temps were taken with Toast running, as is indicated in the "Methodology" portion of the review. Additionally, ambient room temperatures had to also be controlled during this process, which made the testing all the more cumbersome to undertake. This is also explained. ;)
As it stands, my review started in February 02 - and was finally published much later in the year. Admittedly, the Japanese diamond thermal paste actually took around a week and a half to apply, due to the application methods specified/required. This is explained in the review as well.

Last edited:
WizardofCOR said:
Good info, HighFlowRod - thanks for posting! :)

As far as the question regarding particle to particle thermal conduction based upon thermal load goes, this is exactly why I used Folding@Home during the interim period, to attempt to accelerate the curing process of each compound by keeping the CPU at 100% 24/7 between testings. Load temps were taken with Toast running, as is indicated in the "Methodology" portion of the review. Additionally, ambient room temperatures had to also be controlled during this process, which made the testing all the more cumbersome to undertake. This is also explained. ;)
As it stands, my review started in February 02 - and was finally published much later in the year. Admittedly, the Japanese diamond thermal paste actually took around a week and a half to apply, due to the application methods specified/required. This is explained in the review as well.

Your welcome, the quote and webpage was in your defense. Anyway, there is always to sides of a debate. I agree with you in some ways, not to start anything, but I think JoeC's tests are not as nearly as controlled as they could or should be (and I would assume that overclockers.com has received or receiving adequate contributions and/or funding to accomplish relatively controlled tests (correct me if I'm wrong JoeC and I will edit this out)).

Mr. Adams, would agree with me on this next sentence.
Just remember, these tests are very hard and time consuming, and some people just don't have time, money, or technical competence (not directing this to anybody particular).

I know I don't have the money or the time, I would hope to have some of the technical competence, since I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering (even though I live by this quote, "Hands-on experience is everything, a piece of paper exclaiming that you know everything is nothing."

For some unusual reason this quote comes to mind

“Let’s agree to disagree.”

Oh yeah, I didn't even read the article, The burning in of the cpu just makes sense to me.

How expensive is diamond thermal paste????

Very appreciated. :cool:

I specifically wanted to avoid getting into any argument of credentials (although I too have quite a few), as I totally agree with the statements you made in your 3rd paragraph. Once we start taking the path of who's eligible to speak in technical terms, then the discussion breaks down, as it almost did.
I must say, you guys can be pretty brutal - I like that. :)
Besides - here was a guy who's first post on your forum explains potential inadequacies/innacuracies of two site reviews. I would be much the fool to expect any kind of kid-glove treatment. ;)
While I could've easily spent hours defending myself by answering each pointed technical reference question, that obviously wasn't my intent. And I think we have better things to do with our time, gentlemen.

I do hope however, that what I've provided (and elicited) can be seen as helpful information, that can be used in the future when speaking of thermal compounds and reviews.

And if there's any way that I can further contribute to providing accurate information to the readers (both yours and mine), I would certainly like to.

Thanks again for the replies - nothing like a grand entrance, eh? LOL Its all good. :D

PS: I'm glad you read my article - I do hope that it was helpful, at least in some regard. The Diamond Grease was around $20.00 USD at the time of purchase. The site's in Japanese (I believe there's a link to it in the review), so it may be difficult to order. Additionally, the instructions are also in Japanese. A valued associate named Yakitori kindly made the order and deciphered the text, as I unfortunately do not speak the language.

Not sure I should get involved in a discuss with such experts so please excuse the question if you've previously answered it. I can't say as I've been able to get through this amazing and massive amount of info. I'm still reading and trying to comprehend all the information. Thus I may well have missed the answer to the inital question that occurs to me. :D

In one post sited by WizardofCOR (his own post I believe), I see the statment that
The application of thermal compounds is important. Too much can actually be a detriment to obtaining lower temperatures. Typically, only an extremely thin layer is recommended, which is applied only to the die itself.
Please excuse the partial quote but I think that captures the content of the paragraph.

My question is then, how many applications of each compound were tested. Since the WizardofCOR has noted application thickness as being an important issue and application would seem to be subject to human error then it would seem to need to be quantified. Yes, I understand the testing demands each application place on time.

Last edited:
This is another great question!

Each compound was removed/reapplied 3 times, except of course the Diamond Paste, for the reasons we've mentioned.
Talk about tedium... This is one reason why the review took forever... Yet I failed to indicate this in the review, as well as the procedure of removing the old compound - So these are great observations - Thanks!
I did however, mention this:

"All results from each tool/utility were compared with each other for validity - any anomalies required a retest from start. This happened only occasionally, when the ambient temperature of the room varied by a few degrees. It is also worthy of note that all compounds were refrigerated until time of actual application, to prevent any chance of curing prematurely."

Which also brings up an important point: Keeping the thermal compounds in a cool, dark storage area prior to use. For example, G-751 will cure (albeit slowly) if not kept cool. If applied afterwards, it will only impart benefits that compare with AS2.

The layering of the compound should of course be thin, but again - as long as we start with an extremely thin layer (say, .5mm or less - in other words, just enough to just cover-up the die), any excess will be squeezed off by the HSF contact pressure. This is evidenced anytime afterwards upon removal of the HSF in question - you'll see the square 'ring', as it were, on the bottom of the HSF itself.
Therefore, quantifying an exact measurement of "goop-height" really is of no consequence. Until... The layer becomes so thick that it actually prevents good contact between HSF/CPU die. This unfortunately can happen with your thicker compounds, and the results are higher temps due to the reliance of transferring more heat through the thicker medium as opposed to a more direct metal to metal type contact
You're right, the actual application would always be subject to human application and subsequent error, yet there's a good range of thickness where results will be constant. Its only at the extremes do we really find affectations in temperature.

I hope this helps!

Thanks WizardofCOR. I congradulate you on your dedication since I know it required a significant amount of time!

With 3 applications and the results of each, you should be able to present the results in terms confidence levels associated with them. What would be your range for the average temperatures if a 90% confidence level is applied? Actually a table of either the average and standard deviation or the 3 measurements for each component would allow us to consider this variation for any confidence level.

Last edited:
Thanks - I did want this review to be comprehensive in scope.
I feel I came close, but as we definitely know there's always room for improvement.
In all fairness, I didn't want to "bog down" the review by going too deep technically, as 1) it was long enough as it was, and 2) escalating to that level would probably turn-off and/or lose the audience, particularly the beginner to moderately experienced users.
Your question however, regarding confidence level amongst averages and against deviation levels is very insightful, and because of it I will further break down all compounds tested in the 6 measurement cycles for each compound in Part II.
Interestingly enough as a side note, by the time the review could be released, version II of both Nanotherm products had also been released (along with Silver, and an experimental compound which I am under an NDA for), which (automatically and partially) antiquated the review somewhat.
I do have a grid floating around here somewhere of the individual results for each application, during each portion of the testing cycle. I believe that may satisfy your inquiry, and I'll be sure to post that in Part II of the review - so both the newer compounds and the older compounds will be represented in this fashion. Man, I'm getting some great ideas here - this is great! :)
Another thing that must be mentioned (and we all probably already know this) is that the testing equipment used only measures in increments of .5 degrees. Which means that this had to be the least common denominator as far as measurement units went. I unfortunately don't have multiple forms of equipment that will allow more accurate testing.
While admittedly this doesn't help for providing more accurate results beyond the .5 degree scope, as long as the results matched up between all tools/utilities used, then that's what was recorded - in essence, relying upon the electronic 'rounding' of <.5 degrees to the tools/utilities themselves.

I now have yet another exciting facet to address in Part II! Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back