• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about upgrading to 24" monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kayden

Right now I have a 20" Dell being powered by an 8800GTS 512. I want a larger LCD but I know that I'll need a better card to play at 1920x1200. However, with nVidia pushing 3d, I don't know if I should buy a new monitor now or wait for 120mhz monitors to be more popular and drop a bit. Even if I did decide I wanted to upgrade my monitor now, I'd still have to get a new GPU. Every time I buy a new GPU they announce something just over the hill that's the same price but 2x better. So I'm wondering if there are any surprises out there that warrant me holding off a purchase.

Should I just sit with my 8800GTS 512 and my 20"?
Should I get another 8800GTS 512 and SLI them on my 20"?
Should I SLI them on a 24"?
Should I get a 295 and wait for a monitor?
Should I get a 295 and a monitor?
Should I get a 4870 x2 instead of a 295?

I already have the 8800, so I'm hesitant to jump to AMD, could I still use the 8800 for physx with an AMD card? Could I even run an AMD and nVidia card at the same time?

Well really depends on our budget. IF you had enought money then my not get a 24inch monitor and a GTX 295? Would not get a 4870x2, if you wany ATI then get then new 4970x2 when it comes out. However i think 20inch is a big enough screen for gaming on (im still on 17 and i have no compaints at all). If you do have spare cash to spend though then i am totally for getting a 24 inch screen and a GTX 295 :)

I currently have a dual monitor setup. I have a 19" standard and my 20" wide. When I have wallpapers, they don't look the same, so I OBVIOUSLY :santa: need to upgrade to a 24" LCD.

Well really depends on our budget. IF you had enought money then my not get a 24inch monitor and a GTX 295? Would not get a 4870x2, if you wany ATI then get then new 4970x2 when it comes out. However i think 20inch is a big enough screen for gaming on (im still on 17 and i have no compaints at all). If you do have spare cash to spend though then i am totally for getting a 24 inch screen and a GTX 295 :)

I'm running the 8800 gts with my 24in monitor. I'm not having fps issues on highest quality at 1920x1200 with most games. I know that isnt one of the options you listed, but try the 8800gts with your current gpu and if you really are not happy buy a new one.

fall out 3 averages like 35fps in the world and during combat, 50-55 in buildings.
crysis warhead thanks to its awesome engine gets 50-60fps or so.
cod 5 is 50-60fps

These might not be fps rates to brag about, I'm not sure how picky you are but they definitely don't bother me.

24" HDMI

look at the Acer 24" HDMI, I'm happy with it.
Picked it up from Newegg, a deal at 260.00

the 120 is for HD media content like movies and tv not gaming the reason for the 120 refresh rate is that it is divisible by 24 frames per second that is how fast HD movies run at there for it creates a clean transfers with out motion blur unless you get your computer to run at a steady fps a specific refresh rate will not matter that much

That may also be true, but stereoscopic effects require a monitor that refreshes at 120mhz so that each eye receives a 60mhz signal.

the 120 is for HD media content like movies and tv not gaming the reason for the 120 refresh rate is that it is divisible by 24 frames per second that is how fast HD movies run at there for it creates a clean transfers with out motion blur unless you get your computer to run at a steady fps a specific refresh rate will not matter that much

Back