• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This 23" or 25" better deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tyl998

Hi peeps! I need some opinons on which of these you'd rather buy and why. Trying to decide what new monitor to take. Slowly building up to 3 monitors for Surround gaming :attn:

($119.99) eMachines E233Hbd Black 23" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 80000:1(1000:1)

($169.99) Hanns·G HZ251HPB Black 25" 2ms X-Celerate OD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 X-Contrast 15,000:1 DCR (800:1 typical) Built-in Speakers

On the one hand, $170 for a 25" screen is the best 25" deal I've ever seen. Plus, 2ms response time. On the other, I've never seen any 1920x1080 LCD for $120...and there's no rebate hassle to go through either!! Which do you think is a better deal?

If you just wanted one i would say go for the 25'' but since your eventually going for a 3 monitor setup i would say go for the 23'' since your saving $50 per monitor and less desk space... You may not have enough room for 3 - 23'' monitors let alone 3 - 25'' monitors

I already have a 23 inch from ASUS as my main monitor. So really I'm just looking for 2 more, but yes I can understand that I want to make sure my desk ahs enough space. But what about the quality of the products? Are those two companies known for quality stuff?

I already have a 23 inch from ASUS as my main monitor. So really I'm just looking for 2 more, but yes I can understand that I want to make sure my desk ahs enough space. But what about the quality of the products? Are those two companies known for quality stuff?

I heard of emachines but then again who hasnt lol
Ive never heard of the other company, If your looking to use 3 monitors im sure u have one of those eyefinity video cards and im pretty sure u need 3 monitors of the same size or they wont line of right while playing games

well they certainly need the sam resolution, but I suppose same size can't hurt. I'm using Nvidia so no Eyefinity for me. Just Surround.

I got the Emachines 23" about a week ago at Microcenter when it was on sale for $130.I went in to look at the Hanns G and a Viewsonic 24" but the Emachines caught my eye.I never intended to even consider it due to the name but after a side by side comparison of all 3 the Emachines had the best picture of all 3 in my opinion.And the Emachiners does have tilt even though some of the reviews say otherwise.Great monitor so far,I plan on picking up 2 more in a few weeks after I get some more cash.

Can your 8800GT handle three screens?

No.My sig was out of date anyway,haven't posted here in a few years.I plan on upgrading my card first.I've been out of the loop for awhile and have some serious upgrading ahead of me :)

So far the best deal i found on an LED monitor is in the newspaper today

At COMP USA they're selling a Acer 23'' LED for $149.99 with VGA, DVI & HDMI 1920X1080p
Tomorrow, In store only... Online its like $40 more

The eMachines has better specs (mainly contrast ratio) and is cheaper. Also, since they are the same resolution, the smaller screen will likely have a slightly better perceived sharpness. Noting that you already have a 23", I'd definitely go with the 23" screen.

What exactly does Contrast ratio mean anyways and why should we care about it? Does it have anything to do with brightness?

What exactly does Contrast ratio mean anyways and why should we care about it? Does it have anything to do with brightness?

Brief Answer: It's the ratio of the lightest pixel to the darkest one that can possibly be displayed at one time, so with a higher contrast ratio you'll see more "pop" from the picture you are seeing. Low contrast ratio screens will seem "washed out". Don't pay attention to the dynamic contrast ratio, as they dim the screen for the dark measurement and crank up the brightness for the light measurement.

Detailed Answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_ratio

1000:1 is considered pretty good for native contrast ratio. The 800:1 the other screen has would be like what a good LCD monitor looked like 4 years ago (strictly in terms of contrast).

Hope that helps.

Back