• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This can't be good...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMatrixHasYou

Okay, I was OCing my Radeon 9700, and up to last night, it was at 317/295 perfectly stable, no artifacts. So I start off this morning bumping it up to 322/299, and it's fine, no artifacts, nothing. So next, I decide to see how high my crappy Infineon memory can go. I tried 304 (608 DDR) and that seemed fine. So next, I try 309 (618), and still no artifacts. So now I'm feeling pretty good, since most people with the Infineon 3.3 say they can't go past 300. Next, I try 314 (628), and it's still fine. So now I'm confused, and I'm thinking maybe I'm missing the artifacts. I downloaded some Artifact test that someone at Rage3D suggested, tested DirectX on Hardcore, no artifacts, did the Software test, no artifacts. So, now I go to test in 3DMark. Run 2003, still no artifacts. Run 2001 still no artifacts, but my score has gone down (I've been plagued by this, read my other thread). So, I decide to run 2001 again, to see if my score goes up, since I've had up to 2,000 point swings in 2001 with all settings the same. So, I go through the first three games, no problems, my FPS are pretty high. Nature starts, I'm getting good FPS, and then all of a sudden, I get massive checkerboarding and color distortion across my monitor. I immediately exit 3DMark, go right into RadClocker, and set all clocks back to default. Wait a little, but the checkerboarding is still there. Restart the computer, but I've still got the problems. At this point I shut down, turn everything off, wait a few minutes, and turn the computer back on. Get into windows, and it's back to normal. Then I notice my icons still show traces of the checkerboarding. The actual icons are all okay, except for the one for 3DMark01, which has short vertical lines running through it, but the little shortcut arrows are all messed up, they've got vertical lines too. So, I open up the start menu, and Nero's icon also has vertical lines. I go into windows explorer, and several of the icons for my programs also have vertical lines. So, is there anyway to fix this? And was this problem caused by my Radeon overheating? It seemed fine, and it had been running at 322/314 for a couple hours. Should I leave the mem at under 300 from now on?

i honestly think you should just leave it at stock, and only overclock when you game.

Why? I don't think it'll make a difference, the overclock will only really matter when the card is stressed in gaming. In non-gaming applications, there won't be as much stress, so heat isn't a problem. Anyone know how I can fix my icons?

Right click on the icon, go to properties. Then click on 'change icon'. Browse to the program folder and find the same icon, and select it. See if that makes a difference. Just an idea.

-YB

That worked for all my icons. I still can't get rid of the lines through the shortcut arrows though.

Hmm... reinstalling my omega drivers seems to have fixed everything. I'm going to leave the mem at 300 from now on and just up the core.

good idea, that was a close call too. I had a scare before on my geforce2mx, although if that thing died, its worth like 20 bucks now so no biggie. I had her at 210MHz on the ram and I was getting just slight artifacts then all of a sudden on the lobby it erupted into bright rainbow colors, looked like a bad acid trip, everything was all messed up. I quickly exit, clock back to stock and everything is ok. sometimes you get "delayed" artifacts, everything seems fine then when the ram heats up it goes crazy.

well, if you are artifacting, u should stop right then, NOT wait for it to get worse. artifacts show that you pushed it to far.

The thing was, I had absolutely no artifacts before it got all screwed up. I tested in 3DMark03, 01, saw no artifacts at all, used the Artifact tester in the Omega drivers, no artifacts were detected.

Back