• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This cheap water or air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigwils1

Registered
I have a fx 8120 im using a cheap corsair h40 to cool it but my temps are to high even on low voltz will the coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO be better than this or is the XIGMATEK SD1484 Prime Cpu Cooler be the better option??!

A quick google on this cooler found some reviews that compared it to an NDH14 which many feel is the best air cooler available. Here is the conclusion from Overclockers Club.....

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xigmatek_sd1484/

Out of the box, the Xigmatek Prime SD1484 is a cooler that offers very good performance at a pretty good price point. In a 2-fan configuration, the performance from this cooler came close to the Noctua NH-D14 which is and will be a good benchmark for quite a long time. Of course, adding an additional fan will cost some extra money but it will help the performance even more. For a price of $64.99, this cooler is a great option for an upper-middle end solution that can handle just about any heat load at even "more than modest" overclocks.

They used and Intel Core I7 920 for testing and it showed a 5*C difference between it and the Hyper 212Evo in testing though from the quote they used an extra fan during the test. Where you would ge and identical fan I am not sure, though I suppose and decent 140mm fan with similar numbers might do.

Yesterday someone asked the same question ....well almost you can see the thread here .....

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715842

I had found a cooler that I thought might be a good cooler to concider though it is on the expensive side + you have to buy fans for it as it doesnt come with any....... a quick quote from that thread.

The FX chips do draw allot of power and the extra heat generated in and around the socket area can be quite noticable compared to other AMD CPUs even the Six core PII's. Some guys have been paying extra attention to cooling the socket and VRM area of the motherboard with an additional fan. While in at newegg by chance I came across a cooler by prolimatech that kinda interested me as it will cool the cpu and the socket area all in one go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835242007

I know it is out of your stated budget and probably overkill for your intended OC but thought I would bring it up you can see how it preformed compared to other coolers, your freezer 7 pro is also in the review and also for anyone else that may find this thread interesting.

I dont know if the prolimatech cooler is available in England or where you might find one but its design could really benifit you and your CPU / Motherboard combo as it not only cools your CPU but also helps cool your VRM's and socket area another problem area where heat builds up when OCig the FX 8120.

Back