• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

this is how to install a G4ti4200 in mandrake 8.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantom punisher

this is how to install a G4ti4200 in mandrake 8.2 and 9.0

ok this was,as all linux undertakings, a big run around so ill give a step by step the best i remember

1. install mandrake 8.2 with the defualt vidio configuration. make sure to pick to install chromiun the game

2. once you make it all the way to the desktop you can exhale. go to nvidia and get
nvidia_glx-1.0-2960.i386.rpm
nvidia_kernal-1.0-2960.mdk82(smp if you need it).i586.rpm
and dl the file "mc-4.5.55-9mdk.i586.rpm" from mandrake cooker
put them in the root directiory or somewhere you can find them from the terminal

3. install mc-4.5.55-9mdk.i586.rpm. its midnight commander text editor and it wil make life tollerable in linux terminal

4.edit the file /ect/i nittab
find the line that reads id:5:initdefaut:
change the 5 to a 3. this makes it stop at the terminal and not auto start the xserver.

5.reboot and log into root(you should be in terminal) remember linux is case sensitive!
cd into the directiory with your rpms
type rpm -ivh NIVIDIA_k.(hit esc twice and it will complete it for you) then press enter
type rpm -ivh NVIDIA_G9hit esc twice) then press enter

6. now type XFdrake or FXdrake? and choose the nvidia generic geforece 3 card. it should give you an option of withch free86 you want. choose 4.2 and follow the install directions(ex:instert cd1 press enter) remember to say no to any testing or starting x after reboot. Say yes to keep configuration making sure that xfree86 4.2 is shown

7. reboot and log back into root. do the whole xfdrake thing again making all the same selections.

8. now we edit the xfree86config-4
change directory to find the file at /ect/X11
type mcedit XF86Config-4 (big blue screen comes up)
now look for the line that says Load "dbe"
and add underneith Load "glx"

9.now find the graphics device section in the config

change the lines to look like this
section "device"
identifier "NV AGP"
blah blah blah
driver "nvidia"

10.now find the screen sections
change it to look like this
section "screen"
identifier "screen1"
device "NV AGP"

11. now press f2 to save and then f10 to quite

12. now type startx and you should boot into kde. try any game that is opengl (like chromium) if it works your all set. i dont know why there is no nvidia spash screen.

Last edited:
I found it alot easier to install my GF3 by using a source RPM. It's odd how you had so many problems with only an RPM. Ah, well. I'm glad you got it working.

Oh, and there is an nVidia splash screen, it's just very very fast. ;)

-DarkArctic

ya complete pain. i tryed tarballs first and had no luck. now im trying to get wine goign again. if i get it ill write another how to

i did exactly like this post described, except for the obvious changes neede for Mandrake 8.1 and a GF3, and I got the Nvidia splash screen at startup...but Chromium and TuxRacer won't load. Did I do something wrong, or am I missing something? The only thing that happened differently from your example above is that when I loaded XFdrake in root, I got a DOS-like screen that let me set my resolution, but didn't let me choose my version of XFree...

yes that is the problem. the nvidia drivers only work with free86 4.02 or higher installed. and that dos type screen is where you would get a choice to install them. im not sure where went wrong but most definatly need 4.02 or better for opengl. isnt linux fun?

well, it gives me the options of 4.1.0 and 3.3.6, and says that my card will only have 3D acceleration with 3.3.6. But either one I choose is the same. I will probably just download 8.2, since this distro is so old anyway.

I'm getting the hang of it, though. When I first read your post, I thought one of us was crazy (you for writing it, or you for expecting me to understand ;) ), but the more I played, the more sense it made. I still like Windows for the simplicity of the system (boot and go), but I'll play with the penguin a little more...I ain't gonna format just yet :p

i installed the necessary RPM files, but how do i get Linux to recognise the other drivers?

i dont think it ever offically recognizes them as far as i know(witch aint too far) cause you can go into the hardware config and it wont show that your running a ti4200 or any kind of nvidia driver.

takiwa said:
well, it gives me the options of 4.1.0 and 3.3.6, and says that my card will only have 3D acceleration with 3.3.6. But either one I choose is the same. I will probably just download 8.2, since this distro is so old anyway.

I'm getting the hang of it, though. When I first read your post, I thought one of us was crazy (you for writing it, or you for expecting me to understand ;) ), but the more I played, the more sense it made. I still like Windows for the simplicity of the system (boot and go), but I'll play with the penguin a little more...I ain't gonna format just yet :p
ill be happy if the steps work for you in 8.2 and then disturbed because it would be another linux oddity for these instructions to only work in 8.2

weird, i never had a problem compiling rather than going with the rpms for 8.1, 8.2
one thing i would definitely mention is make sure by all means you have the kernel-source installed or you'll get nowhere. this isnt installed by default unless you choose it during an advanced install of drake. i never messed around with xfdrake either. just had to add "load glx" and change "nv" to "nvidia" in my XF86Config-4 after i installed both drivers

use the handy mandy tool "urpmi kernel-source" as root to get that kernel-source up and in.

SD

ps. the rpm's worked flawlessly in redhat7.3 as well in this case. plus nvidia has a cool script to run incase you want to know exactly what version and what driver you need.

There's an easy way to do this, and do it right for your system. It's called the README file off the Linux driver download page at Nvidia.com. It has everything PP said and a whole lot more specific info for troubleshooting. Not RTFM, RTRR(eadme)!!

proze said:
There's an easy way to do this, and do it right for your system. It's called the README file off the Linux driver download page at Nvidia.com. It has everything PP said and a whole lot more specific info for troubleshooting. Not RTFM, RTRR(eadme)!!
well as you would expect, i have the nvidia readme and tryed to follow it with no luck. its spotty at best, and thats why i wrote this. this will specificaly work with mandrake 8.2 if followed step by step. if you have no trouble installing nvidia drivers then this post is not for you. if you think linux readme's are complete and easy to follow then be happy because you are one of the minority core linux users.

ok so now were at the 9.0 leveltrying to install our g4 ti4200. this one had to be made from the tarballs because no rpms are avalible at this time. there is a strange part in here with the drakeconf. im not sure how or why this worked or even if i just needed to reboot instead. but ill include it because my x server wouldnt start untill i used drakconf as mentioned below
1 install mandrake 9.0 choosing the nvidia fbdev card and free86 version 4.2

2. log in as root and install the kernal source rpm on disk three. there maybe many delopment librarys and tools needed for this install but the kernal source and make are the only ones i know for sure. if your install doesnt work try installing more devolopment packages(sorry thats vague but its the best i can do)
3. get files from nvidia
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_archive
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.tar.gz

4. click on the tar files and use the archiver to extrate them

5.in terminal cd into the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123 folder you just untared. type "make install" without the quotes. now do the same in the glx folder you just made

6 now edit the free86 config4 found at /ect/x11/xf86config-4
change the driver to "nvidia" in the adapter section. inthe modules section make sure load "glx" is there
if load "dri or load "glcore" is there then delet them.

7 logout and restartx. it probly will crash. in that case type "drakconf" without quotes. follow it through to reselect your fbdev vidio card and free 86 drivers 4.2

8 atartx again and if it works open a terminal and type "glxinfo" without quotes. look to see if it is desplaying information pretaining to your nvidia driver.if it does your done! if it dosnt try again after a reboot

notes from 9.0 driver install
chose nvidia fbdev card
chose 4.2

untar both
make file kernal
make file glx

edit fre86 to say "nvidia" driver
startx dosnt work
use drakconf?
choose nvidia fbdev card again
choose 4.2

now works?

Last edited:
OK, I've got Mandrake 9.0 and SpeeDj and I were trying to get the display drivers installed last night.

First I RPM'ed this file:
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.mdk82up.i586.rpm

Then this one:

I followed the above instructions for editing the XF86Config-4 file... no workie. Am I going to have to build the display driver myself? And if so, how do I uninstall these RPM's?

SickBoy said:
OK, I've got Mandrake 9.0 and SpeeDj and I were trying to get the display drivers installed last night.

First I RPM'ed this file:
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.mdk82up.i586.rpm

Then this one:

I followed the above instructions for editing the XF86Config-4 file... no workie. Am I going to have to build the display driver myself? And if so, how do I uninstall these RPM's?
yea your going to have to use the tarballs. ive got instrustions for those here near the end of this thread. as for uninstalling, i think you use rpm drake and change it to show whats installed then check mark the ones you want to uninstall then click. not in linux to tell for shure but its something likethat i belive

Back