• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts before I order this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dachy

- ASUS "A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi" K8T800 Socket 939 ($99.00)
- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 939 ($149.00)
- Thermalright Heatsink Model "XP-120" ($64.99)
- Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Power Supply, with TWV480 Total Watts Viewer Kit, Model "W0044RUC" ($71.49)
- pqi TURBO Series Dual Channel (Gunmetal) Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-3200 ($169.25)
- Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD ($176.00)

All at Newegg.com

this is going together with my Geforce FX5600 256mb 8x agp (which will be replaced later on)
and i guess that's the only original part im keeping as i'll be replacing all my drives etc too and using the old stuff for a file server.

i was curious if i should go for a better processor or is the 3000+ sufficient for gaming (doom 3, hl 2), 3d modelling, and lots of photoshop and video editing?

i plan to OC as i learn more, i havent been too sucessful with my 1.2 tbird so i'm going to take it slow with this one.

I like everything you've got there except for the PSU and RAM. For some reason those arn't rubbing me the right way.

Bah, maybe I'm just a paranoid and cynical but I'd go with one of the following PSUs: Antec True480w or Antec True550w or a Sparkle or Fortron of the same wattage

As for memory, Kingston, Corsair and OCZ always get great marks from us.

Like I said before though, everything else looks fine

why not wait for the nforce4 there almost out, it would really make tht setup a lil more "future proof" is tht winchester were looking at hopefully it is :)

how much longer would i have to wait for that? i honestly have considered it.. but i dont mind buying it when it comes out, i'll just sell off the a8v or use it on the system im planning to build next which will be nothing more than a fileserver for my home network (media, and other misc files, and act as a printer server)

Back