• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to build need advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ivy Bridge is a die shrink, 32nm to 22nm. It won't be much of a performance upgrade as much as a efficiency upgrade, draw less power and produce less heat.

I wouldn't be surprised if BF3 could use 8 cores. Just fired up BFBC2 and it was loading all four cores on my 920, none of the secondary threads though.

I was playing BFBC2 also and it was using my cores as well. So money aside and what we know what do you think would satisfy me and what I'm looking for. Either way I'm going to have to go with a new mobo, ram, cpu, and ssd. The nice thing about Intel I could do that system right away. If I chose to wait for Bulldozer I could get the mobo, ram, and ssd and wait for cpu for september. So after all this what would you do in my situation. Honestly I'm kinda leaning toward an i7 2600k setup for the gaming performance, but after you made the BFBC2 core comment the 8core bulldozer might be a good choice. But what about the games after that, when game designers produce games to utilize more cores. Aren't Intels hexacores pretty pricy? However, I run BFBC2 extremely well on all high settings with my quad, so its hard to say BF3 would stress a quad core system. I have a friend who runs the alpha on a dual core system and he runs it ok, with a mediocre gpu

I'd go Bulldozer, for two reasons. You already have the 965BE, so you'll have a functioning computer. For people building fresh, it's an extra deposit in for a new 955BE to hold them over, but that issue is gone with you.

The P67 and Z68 chipsets are not high-end chipsets. Sandy Bridge is Intel's performance, or mid-range line. The 990FX (just a rebrand, it's the same chipset as 890FX) is AMDs enthusiast line, the top of the top. The 990FX, IMO, is a better chipset for high-end due to more PCIe lanes. No need to add the NF200 latency in. Plus AMD keeps sockets around for longer the Intel does.

People will argue the other side. In the end, there will be extremely minimal differences performance-wise between these two builds.

EDIT: Let me make myself more clear. Typically we recommend Intel to new builders, because they would have to put in extra money for a CPU that they're going to sell at a loss in a month. You avoid that problem, making Bulldozer the better choice.

Last edited:
I'd go Bulldozer, for two reasons. You already have the 965BE, so you'll have a functioning computer. For people building fresh, it's an extra deposit in for a new 955BE to hold them over, but that issue is gone with you.

The P67 and Z68 chipsets are not high-end chipsets. Sandy Bridge is Intel's performance, or mid-range line. The 990FX (just a rebrand, it's the same chipset as 890FX) is AMDs enthusiast line, the top of the top. The 990FX, IMO, is a better chipset for high-end due to more PCIe lanes. No need to add the NF200 latency in. Plus AMD keeps sockets around for longer the Intel does.

People will argue the other side. In the end, there will be extremely minimal differences performance-wise between these two builds.

EDIT: Let me make myself more clear. Typically we recommend Intel to new builders, because they would have to put in extra money for a CPU that they're going to sell at a loss in a month. You avoid that problem, making Bulldozer the better choice.

Because I have the 965 already? Even if I got the i7 that doesn't mean I have to get an Ivy Bridge the day they come out. I guess my thought is even if I went Intel once Ive Bridge releases they would be superior to the bulldozer but yet only quad cores. Or would they? Then again like you say AMD keeps the same socket for a while, I'm sure they would release another architecture on the AM3+ that would continue to compete with Intel.

Does it seem to you that AMD is on the right path to compete with Intel even on the high end realm of CPUs?

I second Kunfire.. Bulldozer is your best option for price:performance?

Price/performance has always been AMDs strong point, one reason I have stuck with them. For a while it seemed as Intel was going to take off and run with the CPU race. Hopefully with the bulldozer release AMD will step up to the plate and show intel they deserve to be in the hunt again

Price/performance has always been AMDs strong point, one reason I have stuck with them. For a while it seemed as Intel was going to take off and run with the CPU race. Hopefully with the bulldozer release AMD will step up to the plate and show intel they deserve to be in the hunt again

Releasing three different socket types (1366, 1156, and 1155) in less than two years is mind boggling. That is why I am finished with Intel.

You guys have been awesome and have helped me alot. I think I'm going to stick with AMD and give the bulldozer a shot. Looks like I'm gonna do this type of rig

Top Bulldozer CPU whatever it may be
Asus Formula V 990FX
8GB GSkill Ripjaws X Series 1600
I'm gonna step up the SSD and go with a
Crucial CT128M4SSD2 m4 or OCZ SLD3-25SAT3-120G Solid 3

Then once I get that going I might opt for a HD 6870 Xfire setup! Seems like that would be a pretty crazy system

Well guys here is what I did

Phenom II 965BE oc 3.8ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula BIOS 0705
GSkill 8gb DDR3 1866 de-clocked to 1333(oc 1457)
Crucial M4 128gb
WD Caviar Black 1tb

Once the FX-8150 releases that will be my new processor. Currently I'm running a nice and stable OC on the CPU and Memory. Yes the memory is rated for 1866 but since the 965 doesn't support it I had to declock to 1333 and started OCing from there until stable. Thanks for your help guys I really hope bulldozer shows me what my system can really do!

Back