• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

codeseven

Registered
Its been awhile since I built my PC, now its time to add that second video card. I see from the sticky that the newer drivers allow you to mix and match cards.

Question: Which 2nd card should I get, equal or better than the BFG 7800 GTX thats currently onboard? Thanks

DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR (BIOS 623-3)
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 939 90nm 1mb L2 cache
2GB (2x1GB) Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC4000
1-BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256mb
WD 74 Gb SATA 10,000 rpm Raptor
NEC 3540A DVD RW
Mitsumi Floppy 7 in 1 USB Card Reader/Smart Media
Creative X-FI Fatality
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 SLI
Lian Li PC-60B Plus case
XP x64 Pro

you can mix and match, but it still has to be a 7800GTX. The company you get it from is what doesn't matter. It might be a challenge finding 7800's nowadays, since the 7900's and 7600's replaced them.

Whatever speed your current card is at will be the max that both cards will run at... What I mean is if you overclock one card the other card gets pulled with it . Conversely if you get a card that is overclocked but you existing card cant do those clocks than it could cause problems you have to set them up correctly so that your lowest clocking card sets the clock speed. If it were me I would buy a 8800gts 320 the are priced so well now and you will be DX10 set and you could always sli them in the future...Just my $.02

I remember trying to SLI two 7900GTs

One was from Gigabyte one was from Asus, I couldn't SLI simply because the RAM chips on the gigabyte was different to the ones on the asus.

If I were you I would try as hard as I could to get the same vid card...

mrgreenjeans said:
I've got two and have been considering an upgrade. Pm if interested. You on water or air?

Exactly what does the "PM if interested" mean? Hopefully not a sale outside of the classifieds>?

Back