• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tips for cloning Win8.1 to SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Final result: Unable to clone. Neither CloneZilla nor Acronis produced a drive that would boot. I didn't want to put more time into the effort. However I discovered that this tiny Dell box has a third SATA port on the mobo and space for the SSD. I repartitioned the SSD for one partition (an adventure in itself :rolleyes: ) and copied high traffic files to the SSD. This included cloning the VMs I'm using and a bunch of PDF documentation. Since the VMs boot and run from the SSD and most of my work is done in the VMs, I'm probably getting 90% of the benefit I would get if running purely from the SSD.

Final result: Unable to clone. Neither CloneZilla nor Acronis produced a drive that would boot. I didn't want to put more time into the effort. However I discovered that this tiny Dell box has a third SATA port on the mobo and space for the SSD. I repartitioned the SSD for one partition (an adventure in itself :rolleyes: ) and copied high traffic files to the SSD. This included cloning the VMs I'm using and a bunch of PDF documentation. Since the VMs boot and run from the SSD and most of my work is done in the VMs, I'm probably getting 90% of the benefit I would get if running purely from the SSD.

Well that sucks Hank :(
At least you're using the SSD for the VM's. That will help them.

Also, sorry for the thread crap I left on the first page. :rain:

I revisited this on another PC. This time I wanted to swap the SSHD in a new PC (Lenovo Y50 :D ) with a proper SSD. Since the SSHD was 1 TB and I felt half that would be more than adequate, I purchased a half TB SSD (Crucial M550.) Next I shrunk partitions and moved them as close as possible to the beginning of the disk. Some of that was done using a Linux Mint live boot USB as Windows puts some immovable files in the middle of the drive. After that I made sure Win 8.1 would boot. Next I tried to clone it to the SSD. With the resized and moved partitions taking aboiut 1/4 of the drive I expected no difficulty.

Acronis - no dice. When it got to the part where it needed to reboot it reported an error and Win 8.1 came up with the job unfinished. I tried this with secure boot disabled and got the same result.

Clonezilla - no dice. It's not happy going from a larger to smaller drive, even if everything should fit. There seems to be a work around reported that involves saving and restoring an image but I don't have a large enough (unused) drive available to do so.

I decided to give 'dd' a try. That's a Linux tool that makes a bit by bit copy. I knew it would try to copy the entire disk and would fail when the smaller SSD was full, but it would have copied MBR, partition table and all partitions by that time. I did that and then tried to open the drive using gparted. It complained about a missing backup partition table and exited. A little searching led me to gdisk which is capable of fixing this. I used it and was then able to open the drive using gparted.

At this point I was confident enough to open the laptop up and swap in the SSD (and replace an 8GB RAM stick with two 8GB RAM sticks. :D ) That did not go particularly well. Suffice to say that it is tricky to get the bottom cover off w/out breaking off a bunch of tiny plastic tabs that hold the edge of the cover along the hinge. And you have to be really careful to avoid cross threading the screws. And if you're the cautious sort who likes to unplug the battery before messing with H/W, DO NOT FORGET TO PLUG IT BACK IN BEFORE REINSTALLING THE BACK COVER. :bang head

Once past that I was very happy to find that Win8.1 boots w/out difficulty and is happy with less drive space and more RAM.

Flush with this success I grabbed my Mint live USB, booted it up and installed Linux Mint MATE. I was in heaven! I finally felt like this laptop was truly mine. I have full control of the H/W and how the S/W behaves. No more Charms that pop up when I don't want them (I never want them.) Ability to format a new hard drive. It boggles the mind that I cannot prepare a new drive for use using Win 8.1. (The disk management tool refused to do anything with my new SSD until I created a partition on it using Linux. Then it refused to use the partition but would delete and subsequently create partitions.)

Then I decided to perform one more check to see that Win8.1 could still boot. It would not. It complained about missing or wrong data and suggested I boot from recovery media or contact my vendor. Oops. I forgot to make recovery media. I'm so used to Linux where this kind of stuff is so readily available. I have a couple choices now. I could swap the SSHD back in and create recovery media. Not even considering that. I could try to figure out why I cannot boot that drive from USB. Or download recovery media from somewhere. Or create recovery media using another win8.1 system. Or find install media and just do a clean install of 8.1 (not a bad idea to get rid of the Lenovo crapware.) Perhaps I should see if I can do what I need to do using 8.1 from a VM running on Linux. That would actually be the most attractive solution for me. I would need to be able to forward my Ethernet connection to the VM.

But for the time being, I'm just going to enjoy Linux Mint on my new lappy. Maybe I'll copy the Win10 vm from the Windows disk and see if that meets my needs.

Edit: The other strategy would be go go back to the 'dd' step and copy from SSHD to SSD again. It will wipe out the Linux install but I don't have a lot of time invested in that yet. And I know it will get me a bootable Win8.1 installation and I can make recovery media before installing Linux again.

Last edited:
I really don't understand why Win 8.1 is putting up such a fuss.

I hate all the 'secure' boot crap, and secure firmware/hardware blah blah blah...
IIRC, when you install Win 8.1, it "trusts" the computer it's installed on, so if one were to swap out a component, that might screw up Win 8..

I think I read that somewhere. I might be wrong too :-/

Win 8.1 and not me but wanted to put some info in thread for later comers...

...so I did a little looking around.

A couple of good reads below. Secure boot being a problem with Win 8.1 and todays O/S.

What is strange to me is that you can pretty often get problems with Win 7 that are pretty close to the same symptoms as trying to clone Win 8.1.

It takes some planning to stop problems coming up later. NOTE: I am not going to Win 8.1 but waiting to move to Win 10 from Win 7 64 bit. That out of the way, I learned a long time ago to "make" a C: partition before installing Wn 7 so that it would NOT build that 100MB booting partition ahead of C:. So when I image C: it has the booting record info in the C: and does not have issue with the 100MB hidden partition.

Of course if you have an OEM install done at factory...well then you can read up on how to remove that small 100MB partition and recover that missing 100MB and then images of C: will boot when image is restored.

From the two links below it is my very strong suspicion that the Secure Boot mode and the hidden booting information partition used in Win 8.1 is again a great part of the problem. But like I said I have no interest in Win 8.1 for test or otherwise.

I am mainly interested in getting the two links into this thread for those that come later, since after certain things are done...well you no longer have the original installation at all to begin to clone from and move to SSD.

Some of the issues seen when trying various programs to clone an HDD to SSD using win 8.1.

Was a key phrase that many were having happen to them.
If you have uEFI + GPT drives and Secure Boot enabled most 'free' programs I've seen will not work with it or require the 'Pro' versions.

RGone...

Best is to connect both drives which you want to clone to other pc using SATA cables and clone it there. Recently I was cloning couple of Win 8.1 from HDD to SSD and I had no issues using Macrium Reflect ( which has fully functional free trial ).

To clean drive which is fixing some partition or installation issues ( like when you get bluescreen - usually F4, durring installation ) try diskpart from Windows command prompt.

First you have to understand problem to solve it later. Most clone issues are caused by locked partition ( when system is using it ) that's why best is to clone everything on other pc/system. Next most common issues are errors in partition table ( when you clone on older drive which had partitions before ) which can be fixed using diskpart.

Back