• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tired of clicking Continue to access user folders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Except.... In current versions of Windows; disabling UAC *AND* having admin rights kills the basic Windows apps like the calculator. What MS giveth, MS taketh away.

It does? Never knew that. UAC is disabled (well, set to not bug me ever) on my w10 pc... calc works....so I guess I'm not am admin?

Last edited:
Based on my reading, MS Universal apps will not run as a local admin if UAC is off. Universal apps in Win 10 are calc, photo, settings, edge, etc. Now of course I could care less about edge. Even MS hates it. It appears that these programs run in a "sandbox". Reading around, there seems to be a way to edit the reg to allow it all to work with UAC and local admin accounts.

So turning off UAC is an option and there is a minor price to pay but it seems that you can work around it too.

For us, we setup admin privilege on each local machine via GP (group policy). I have no clue if that's the best way to do it or not. I work in the OS not the NOS.

My observations also don't agree there. One of the very first things I do with any Windows install (Win7, Win10) is turn off UAC. I'm also the sole user account, so by default that has to be admin. Everything works, including MS apps like calculator, photos, whatever. I didn't have to do anything to make it do so.

I just disabled it via the command prompt tweak OP provided and everything is working fine, running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 :thup:

Back