• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Titans got really expensive over the last few years

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

It used to be Titans only cost ~$999 then went up slightly w/the Titan Xp to $1199 ($1487 in today's dollars), then really spiked up with the Titan V Volta to $2999 (why?) then dropped a little w/the Titan RTX (to $2499).
Why was the Titan V so expensive? Was it the HBM memory? Even a 3070 out-performs it.
Strangely enough, Ampere didn't have a Titan marque.

The cards were not made for gaming, but for workstation and compute purposes. They threw more VRAM at the cards than the consumer lines and supported double floating point precision calculations which were not possible on consumer cards. They bridged the gap between consumer and Quadro cards and could run the special drivers to support them as well.

Ultimately they increased the cost because they could (and they added more expensive components of course) to get the purchase of people that needed them for work versus someone wanting to see how well it ran crysis.

@Janus67
Was the Titan V any good for mining? I seem to remember the HBM Radeon cards were a hot commodity for cryptomining (but I could be wrong).

The Titan RTX looked to be the best of the ampere series, it can even beat some low end ada cards (at least according to the TPU GPU database).

Do you think Nvidia will come out w/a Titan marque for Ada?

Do you think Nvidia will come out w/a Titan marque for Ada?
Either a 4090ti or titan. The 4090 doesn't use all of the AD102 chip so there's more left in that way. Their pro card has a full ad102 in it already, so I'd guess just Ti as the workstation crossover card didn't seem like a popular one (especially at the higher price points).

My understanding was that the xx90 moniker was meant to replace the Titan line. Of course somewhat alleviating the line of it's more productivity oriented features in the process. But more and more people seemed to be putting Titans into gaming rigs for grins anyway, so they probably just followed the market.

Back