• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TNT2 M64 16MB or Voodoo3 3000 16MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quegyboe

Hey people, I have the option to trade my Riva TNT2 M64 16MB AGP card for a Voodoo3 3000 16MB AGP card. Would this give me any gain? I've noticed that the Voodoo's clocks are faster than the TNT's....(Voodoo = 166mhz, TNT2 = 125mhz). I also noticed that the TNT2 is only 64bit compared to the Voodoo's 128bit. I tried to check the Futuremark ORB, but there aren't any Voodoo compares at all!

trade it,what do you have to lose ? If you can find drivers for it ur all set.Go for it.40mhz and an extra 64 bits ;) = better.

The V3 is faster, but it doesnt do 32 bit color in 3D........
So Quake 3 isn't very pretty....
But is raw speed is what your after snag the V3, if pretty 32bit color graphics are what your after keep the TNT........

Get the Voodoo3, I had a TNT2 M64 for awhile and it was the worst...I eventually gave it away to replace a chick's malfunctioning graphics card.

I had a voodoo 3 3000 forever. Sucker was a workhorse. I still have it around here somewhere. They were always great performers in OpenGL games like HL and Quake3, it should work fine if you just wanna play CS. But i dont know about the TNT2's really.

Cool, I took the Voodoo3. I'm using a friends GF2 MX right now so the V3 is in his machine. Those little suckers run HOT!!! I had to put a 60mm fan on it to cool it down! It almost BURNED ME! LOL!

quegyboe said:
Those little suckers run HOT!!! I had to put a 60mm fan on it to cool it down! It almost BURNED ME! LOL!

yeah, they are notorious for running hot. the good thing is they seem to be pretty durable to the heat.

i still have my V3 3000 that i paid $150 for a few years ago, that card will always be one of my favorite cards. it was my first taste of high performance video and got me hooked on the eye candy :)
(thi is back when Spec Ops II: Green Berets came out)

I used to have a diamond viper 550 TNT card. l337 16 megs of ram. I loved that card, thing ran so hot too. Ran CS at a steady 30fps at 800x600 on a measly PII 266. On a decent processor can run UT2k3 decently. My friend was playing UT2k3 on it, didnt look super clear but ran alright for the time he needed it. [his GF4ti fried, had to wait a few weeks]

burnt myself on heatsink of my TNT, thnig was uber hot, i think i should grab it back and see how well it over clocks as an expeiriment :)

This is pretty interesting, I own a TNT2 m64 and have used it forever until I got a Radeon 9500 and soft moded it to a 9500Pro, like I was saying, A friend JUST bought a VooDoo 3000 w/ 16megs of RAM into school just a day or 2 ago, I did a little testing w/ it w/ my Athlon XP 2100+/Windows 2000 server system @ school and in the end of playing w/ Quake III, (even though I only had 1 voodoo driver to test w/) My TNT2 @ 165, 200 (w/ v-mod) outperformed his V3000 OC'd to 180,180 (the max I could get out of it) by quite a bit, I also think that nVidia's drivers worked much better for quality settings...

but whatever new things r always fun to play w/ have fun w/ it, I think I could even tell you how to v-mod if you want to have some real fun w/ it...

??? me or quegyboe...

not sure what you mean but here’s how my v-mod go on my card, I had to figure it out myself because know one was able to tell me so i started poking around here's what I did:

THe voltage regulator on my board was a composed of a single large chip it looked like this:

[color=333333]...[/color]________
[color=333333].[/color]_|_______|_
|[color=333333]................[/color]|
|[color=333333]................[/color]| <--EZ1582cm
|[color=333333]................[/color]| <--9912
|[color=333333]................[/color]| <--E84864
|__________|
[color=333333]..[/color]|[color=333333]..[/color]|[color=333333]..[/color]|[color=333333]..[/color]|[color=333333]..[/color]|
[color=333333]..[/color]1[color=333333]..[/color]2[color=333333]..[/color]3[color=333333]..[/color]4[color=333333]..[/color]5

It is meant to supply a minimal voltage of something like 2.5-2.6 volts but is adjustable to a maximum of 3.0-3.1 (depends on load)

Usually pin 1 is a return voltage from the processor (used to slightly adjust voltage output from loses from traces) but in my case it was just directly connected to pin 3 the voltage output pin, pin #2 is the key pin, it is supposed to get a tiny voltage that the chip will uses to decide that the output should be, the higher the voltage into this pin, the higher the output.

But since the output is already caped @ a safe enough 3.1, why not just go for it, *think* (now where is the easiest voltage source? *think* hmm... the pin right beside it!!! so all I did was short the first 3 pins all together and whula!!! I just gained a nice 30Mhz from my previous max of a cruddy 135 to a better 165, and my memory was only capable of 180 before, now it does 200 flawlessly!

EDIT: Got the info on the chip

Last edited:
Back