• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To E6300/6400 owners who switched from Skt.939...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monque

Registered
Stepping away from benchmarks for the moment (and the initial excitement of a powerful new CPU), I want to know how different the "feel" of the lower-end Conroe is compared to your old 939 system now that you've had it for a little while now. Completly subjective query, yes, but I simply want to know your story and how satisfied you are with your upgrade and if the change in your daily gaming/oc'ing/editing/working/tinkering was worth it to you.

In a word, yes.

Windows responds quicker, snapier.
I never had a dual core 939, but having dual core now is awesome. Encode audo/video while playing games.
So far there is a noticible fps improvment in games. Not 9200 -> x800 improvement, but you can def feel it.
While it took a little work to get everything happy at 3.2, it was far easier than making my 939 happy considering this is a much larger % overclock.
Did I need it, no. But I feel the money was well worth it. I honestly got a bigger improvement than I was expecting.

And I know benchmarks aside.. but
3200 @ 2.5 = 36sec Pi 1Meg
6400 @ 3.2 = 18sec

What was your system before Gabianni? And remember just a fresh install of Windows can make it seem snappy :)

I say it comes down to what a person has now and what they use their computer for the most. A 2.7G+ dual-core A64 is still pretty powerful. At high resolution (1600+) with AA/AF in 99% of games you will be graphics-card limited unless maybe you have dual x1900xtx's. For non-gaming applications the C2D is decently faster, check reviews for details. But for anyone who has a high-speed dual-core already upgrading shouldn't be 'needed,' maybe only if you just like to upgrade or consistently do 'professional'-type work like encoding or 3D rendering.

My old system:
Smartpower 400w
MSI k8n neo2 platinum
Athlon 64 3500+ @2.6ghz
1 gig Crucial Ballistix DDR400
evga 6800 gt
Audigy 2 zs

New system:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Intel E6400 @ 3400mHz
2x1 gig GSkill GBHZ
Radeon 1900xt
SB Audigy 2 zs

I'm incredibly pleased with my new setup. Multitasking is a dream now and everything is faster. Overclocking is relatively painless (it was in my case at least) and I've reached a 60% overclock without much tweaking and it's stable as a rock for 24/7 use. I plan on further overclocking once I replace my XP 120 hsf. I felt it was time to make the change to the new form factor and the new intel chips made the jump a no brainer.

Thumbs up from me.

Last edited:
I would like to know peoples results so far as well, because I am currently putting a conroe system together. I have an Opteron 165 running stable 24/7 at around 2.84 ghz now, but I OC'd it and benched this baby at 2.93 for a little while. I figued if I can get my 6400 at around 3.2-3.4 on water, it should perform considerably better then what I have my Optie running at presently. I am still waiting on my mobo and ram so I am noit there quite yet...

I'm not interested in people's "results" as much as I am with people's satisfaction with their product. Thanks to those of you who responded thus far.

It would be extremely interesting to hear from anyone who moved over from a dual-core AMD. 'sup metloaf. :beer:

I Had a Dual Core Opty at 2.7GHZ, 2GB of ram and X1800XT, a while back(6-8 months ago) and my Conroe at 2.8 feels a bit faster, I really have no hard facts, but in Source based games, I can tell my low end fps wise is better, but B/C I am only using an X800Pro can't compare max fps and average either. Although O/Cing these chips is so much better than my DFI/Opty setup. Using the intel bad axe, stable as a rock, [email protected] ram at DDR 800 1:1:)

I have Raptor's in RAID0 ..... the WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM models. I've had these on the 939 w/ a Venice and I've had them on the e6300... regular day left clicking .....so worth the money ($192 e6300). I've also had them in RAID0 w/ Hitachi Deskstars 7200 80GB.

On Wednesday I will step in with my results since thats when my E6400 is due. (Ughh.. Monarch) I'm upgrading from a s754 setup to the one in my sig.

AMD64 3000+ Venice @ 2.5
DFI Lanparty UT nForce3
6800GT
2GB G.Skill DDR500

Back