• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to people searching for ln2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meathead

I figured I'd share my experiences trying to fill my 50L dewar with ln2 for anyone having trouble finding places. I thought I could get it for $.58 a liter but I made the mistake of assuming and I found out today that the company only distributes within the local university departments.

So I called a ton of places and prices ranged from $2.60 - $3.98 a liter. A bit too outrageous for me. General Air would do $1.98 a liter but I'd have to get it filled atleast once every 2 weeks to keep that price.

I finally just gave up for today and went to grab some food. While driving, I saw a local mom and pop welding supplier that I thought I hadn't called yet. I said what the hell and went in. The guy quoted me $2.60 a liter. We talked for a bit and I explained to him what I needed it for and he was telling me how interesting he found it was. Long story short, he told me he'd take my number and give it to the salesman that he gets his ln2 from and told him he'd try to convince him to hook me up.

The salesman calls me and takes down the info for size of dewar, amount etc... Then he quotes me $1.40 a liter plus they will fill on-site for $18. All I need to do is call in 3-days in advance for when I need it. He gave me his e-mail and phone number and told me to e-mail him and he'll get me the info to set up an account. And that price stays the same whether I buy once a year or once a week. He also did say he could get me even lower prices depending on how frequently I get it filled. :santa:

From experience calling around today, it seemed the welding shops and any place that sells it for freezing semen (for farmers and small medical practices and such) had the lowest prices for small quantities. Some of the bigger places such as airgas, only came down in price when dealing with 180L+ a month.

Sounds like you need a bigger dewar and bench LN2 more often...:shrug:
Glad you got the price down :thup:

Welding shops FTW. I just called around. Previously I just called Airgas and got a blow-off price of $6/L. After calling several places, I found a welding shop that will part with it for $1.50/L! Now to find a dewar...oh yea, and the money to afford one. :)

Welding shops FTW. I just called around. Previously I just called Airgas and got a blow-off price of $6/L. After calling several places, I found a welding shop that will part with it for $1.50/L! Now to find a dewar...oh yea, and the money to afford one. :)

I think some benching teammates were getting theirs for easily sub $300. I paid 500 shipped for my PGE 50l with a draw top.

And I've seen a lot of people asking if the dewar was DOT approved. The salesman told me as long as you have it outside your cab (my truck bed) theres no restrictions under 1000lbs. That might be colorado specific but I I'm pretty sure all 50L and under would be perfectly fine in any state.

Back